Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

X5R Workflow Notes

OK. So I have a big project booked that may require an X5R. Who can tell the main steps for setting up a Mac to dump and convert files? I want to get everything into ProRes 444 or similar as quickly as possible. We will need to dump 40+ flights worth of footage captured over 4 days.
Like Damoncooper says export the raw footage from camera to DNG sequence using Cinelight. Then use Resolve to export to ProRes. Use ProRes 422HQ for delivery. Or ProRes 4444 if you plan on process the footage further. Other than that, both format look identical to the human eye.

I would plan on a few test flights before the shoot.
In UDH format I have had some missing DNG frames. I am still investigating the cause.
Panning speed has to be very slow to keep the strobing effect to a minimum. I have not found yet my sweet spot with NDs/FPS/ISO/F-stop
If you are planning for 40 flights, make sure you practice your download workflow in the field. It is extremely slow with the current utilities (cinelight for Mac and the windows version). If money is no object to get a handful of SSDs then you have no problem.
Lastly, be very frugal with your footage, plan the shot and record only the shot.

If you know all that already, forgive me, I am just passing what what I have learned so far. Not trying to patronize anyone. This kind of thread is really beneficial to the community at large. Good luck with your shoot and let us know the lessons you learned.

Reactions: damoncooper
How do you get FCP X to handle CinemaDng directly - I did not know that FCP X supported that format at all.
It does not. Unlike in Resolve or After Effects or Premiere (I assume) where the DNG sequence are read like a video clip. I think there is a way around it but once you have the enormous sequence into FCPX it will probably play poorly. I would use Resolve (free) from Blackmagic Design to export a ProRes clip and then import into FCPX. Resolve plays very well with DNG sequences and FCPX plays really, really well with ProRes clips. The best of both world. the learning curve to use Resolve for this purpose is not bad at all.

Reactions: erikgraham
It does not. Unlike in Resolve or After Effects or Premiere (I assume) where the DNG sequence are read like a video clip. I think there is a way around it but once you have the enormous sequence into FCPX it will probably play poorly. I would use Resolve (free) from Blackmagic Design to export a ProRes clip and then import into FCPX. Resolve plays very well with DNG sequences and FCPX plays really, really well with ProRes clips. The best of both world. the learning curve to use Resolve for this purpose is not bad at all.

Exactly !

I prefer to use lightroom to adjust the DNG's but I like using Premiere. What's the best workflow for it? What version of Premiere has the updated importing changes and frame rate fixes that were mentioned earlier in this thread? I just uploaded all the Premiere pro updates and restarted. I don't see any change. I'm using CC2015.

Last edited:
I prefer to use lightroom to adjust the DNG's but I like using Premiere. What's the best workflow for it? What version of Premiere has the updated importing changes and frame rate fixes that were mentioned earlier in this thread? I just uploaded all the Premiere pro updates and restarted. I don't see any change. I'm using CC2015.

The next PP update will have those fixes. Unreleased yet.

For now I would advise exporting to Premiere compatible DNG sequences and work with those. Or if you don't want RAW in your workflow and are on a Mac, use Resolve to transcode to ProRes and use those in Premiere for a much more fluid editing experience.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Lightroom let you make your initial color correction on the first frame only?

I need the fastest way to copy all the footage from SSD to Macbook on the field. I am editing in Premiere, so DNG for Premiere is the best way, but it takes so much time.

What do you suggest?

To choose Adobe DNG sequence?
And transcode it later to Premiere compatible? How can I do that?

I need the fastest way to copy all the footage from SSD to Macbook on the field. I am editing in Premiere, so DNG for Premiere is the best way, but it takes so much time.

What do you suggest?

To choose Adobe DNG sequence?
And transcode it later to Premiere compatible? How can I do that?
Cinelight - to get the raw into DNG sequences.
Resolve - to color correct/grade and export to codec and frame size of your choice.
Premiere, FCPX or other NLE - for further editing
This workflow seems to be fairly fast.

Reactions: ianwood
Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 7.10.23 PM.png This is what I am doing now. It might change later.
After creating a project I bring the project setting window and dial in these settings

The exposure could be brought up to taste to 1.00

Cinelight - to get the raw into DNG sequences.
Resolve - to color correct/grade and export to codec and frame size of your choice.
Premiere, FCPX or other NLE - for further editing
This workflow seems to be fairly fast.
Why not editing in resolve, what more you've got from Premiere or FCP? Both are paid software but Resolve has a free version. I personally prefer doing everything in Resolve.

Reactions: greyman
Why not editing in resolve, what more you've got from Premiere or FCP? Both are paid software but Resolve has a free version. I personally prefer doing everything in Resolve.

Just a matter of preference. You can achieve your project with all of them.
I like FCPX for its organizational control, magnetic timeline and I can pick it up after a while without going through a another learning curve.

Figured out the project colorspace was different. Once set to sRGB, it all matches.

EDIT: I exported in sRGB as that is what Cinelight defaults to and would rather not get funky with the settings assuming the app may not get it right.

Reactions: Cactuswest
Just a matter of preference. You can achieve your project with all of them.
I like FCPX for its organizational control, magnetic timeline and I can pick it up after a while without going through a another learning curve.
Yeah, thanks for explaining! I'm long time Premiere user (from v4.0) but a few months ago I've started using resolve. I'm working mainly on small projects for wich resolve is pretty handy. At the future film company I'm working the main editing was done on FCP but now switching to AVID. For big projects definitely Premiere, FCP and Avid are much better from organizational point of view.

Reactions: Cactuswest
MY work flow currently is Cinelite to DNG, then into After Effects, then out to any format I want. AE 2014 uses multi core still, however the new AE 2015 does not. Is anyone else using AE?

I have since tested Damon's work flow and I like it much better. Cinelite to Resolve 12.5 out to FCPX prores422HQ.

Reactions: damoncooper

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LangeJens