Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Was there ever a definite response as to native ISO?!

Reaction score
Round two of my testing today, and I want to verify what ISO would be best for me to shoot at to maintain the highest DR. I assumed 100, but sounds like that isnt correct. Thanks for any help!

When it came out, a rep said that the GH4's native ISO was 800 for video: Panasonic GH4 Specs Clarified, Including 10-bit 4K from Its On-Board HDMI Port.
There has been some debate about what that meant, but it would have to be related to how the data from the chip is processed with regards to noise reduction and amplification. We can be pretty sure that the chip on the X5 is not being processed the same way.
If you look at DXO Mark, Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 : Measurements | DxOMark, they found that the lower ISO's give better measurements.

OK, for those of you who wanted to know, I have just got an answer back from R&D.......

Quote: "We set the native ISO to 100, which is slightly higher than the standard ISO 100. The video is YUV420 8bit with a tone curve dynamically adapte to the scene. You won't get 12.8 fstops from a normal video. You can compare the DNG of X5 and GH4, to see the difference of the dynamic range. Then you can get the DR of GH4 in DXOMark"

I hope that helps and answers peoples questions (although it is a bit 'Chinglish') :)

"Dynamically adapted"? Those are some scary words for video. I'm guessing this only relates to the DNG and photo performance.

"Dynamically adapted"? Those are some scary words for video. I'm guessing this only relates to the DNG and photo performance.
I believe what they are saying is the YUV curve is altered in real time (dynamically) which as you say is scary. I have no idea whether they also change the knee and slope setting dynamically and push the knee point down but that wouldn't surprise me either :rolleyes:

Reactions: dopeytree
I hope they just mean that the change the knee and the slope dependent on the ISO and white balance. That's too be expected. If they've added some goofy algorithm that attempts to change the tone curve in order to correct for the average distribution of the luminance or something, that's annoying. Of course, that might explain the flickering in shadows at high ISO.

Reactions: ianwood
Native ISO for GH4 is NOT 800! if you shoot 800 on the GH4 be prepared for lots of noise! 200 ISO best for GH4

'best' ISO <> 'native ISO'. Native ISO will normally be the speed with most DR, not the least noise - and they won't be the same.

OK, for those of you who wanted to know, I have just got an answer back from R&D.......

Quote: "We set the native ISO to 100, which is slightly higher than the standard ISO 100. The video is YUV420 8bit with a tone curve dynamically adapte to the scene. You won't get 12.8 fstops from a normal video. You can compare the DNG of X5 and GH4, to see the difference of the dynamic range. Then you can get the DR of GH4 in DXOMark"

I hope that helps and answers peoples questions (although it is a bit 'Chinglish') :)

Well, it's sounds like they know what they're talking about although I agree the answer is a bit scary. The less DJI "dynamically adapts" the better!

'best' ISO <> 'native ISO'. Native ISO will normally be the speed with most DR, not the least noise - and they won't be the same.
this is true, however I worked with the Panasonic engineers for the original debut of the GH4 (made the video) and they told me native ISO was 400. I believe some Panasonic rep reported 800 as native ISO when it first came out and that got around a bit. Not sure if that was true.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz