Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Does the X5R use standard 2.5" SSDs?

Reaction score
The B&H order page for the X5R has been updated with the new pricing:

DJI Zenmuse X5R RAW Camera and 3-Axis Gimbal CP.BX.000097 B&H

I clicked on the Accessories tab, and saw a Crucial 512MB SSD listed for $150. This appears to be a standard 2.5" SSD with a SATA connector, like you would buy for your computer.

I was under the impression that the X5R didn't support a standard 2.5" SSD, and instead had a proprietary connector. But I just searched the DJI web site, and can't find any details other than "SSD".

Is it possible that the X5R will support standard 2.5" SATA SSDs? If so, that could save us all a lot of money.

I clicked on the Accessories tab, and saw a Crucial 512MB SSD listed for $150. This appears to be a standard 2.5" SSD with a SATA connector, like you would buy for your computer.

I was under the impression that the X5R didn't support a standard 2.5" SSD, and instead had a proprietary connector. But I just searched the DJI web site, and can't find any details other than "SSD".

Is it possible that the X5R will support standard 2.5" SATA SSDs? If so, that could save us all a lot of money.
Unfortunately no - DJI would not miss a trick like that and have made a proprietary solid state drive

That is both my assumption and my recollection. I'm assuming B&H is listing that SSD as an accessory simply because "SSD" appears in the X5R description, and not because somebody there knows something. Also, the 2.5" SSD form factor isn't really designed for insertion and retention. My Atomos Shogun uses standard 2.5" SSDs, but it requires each SSD to be inserted into a plastic caddy.

Can you cite anything on the DJI web site or videos that confirms this?

Thanks.

Totally new guy here but I know a bit about SSDs and the common 2.5" drives probably aren't likely to be used for storage simply due to their relatively large size. I can't imagine that even DJI is going to try and reinvent a new SSD interface. The question is how easy will it be to change the drive out. If I was a betting man my money would be on the mSATA (Mini-SATA) drives being used. Think of them as the guts of a regular 2.5" SSD on a minimalistic card about .75" x 1.5" that could easily inserted into the 5XR gimbal in a similar fashion to a SD card but with much higher read/write speeds and overall performance. My second guess from looking at available info would be the MicroSSD option. Essentially a 1.8" SSD similar to what you think of now. Perhaps more durable than a mSATA drive that sits a bit exposed but much larger too. Google mSATA for a better look or search newegg or similar to get the specs. So from all the images I can dig up, a regular 2.5" drive will be too big and bulky. I just hope the storage is of a removable type and not static part of the 5xR gimbal or that will make it difficult to make multiple shots without first downloading the first shot to another device when the gimbal gets full. That would suck!

Yeah, I suspect something like mSATA -- I have a 1TB mSATA drive in my laptop. They are less than a third the size of a standard 2.5 in SSD and probably 25% of the weight.

Brian

It's easy to see on the photos that the X5R SSD is significantly narrower than a 2.5'' drive. The interface is microSATA from what could be seen in the launch video.

microSATA-Compared.jpg

No. That was just to show the interface type it seems to be using. As said look for videos/photos of the launch to see where that came from.

An X5R beta tester confirmed the SSD is "as easily swappable as a MicroSD card".

Whether proprietary or not I'm not sure but that works for me.

No doubt it was easily swappable, could be seen from day 1 in the videos.

The real question is can you use a $100 off the shelf drive, or will it be a $1000 custom thing...

No doubt it was easily swappable, could be seen from day 1 in the videos.

The real question is can you use a $100 off the shelf drive, or will it be a $1000 custom thing...
I cant believe you asked that, knowing DJI :p

And what on earth makes you think it will be as cheap as $1,000 :eek:

Reactions: Kilrah
I cant believe you asked that, knowing DJI :p

And what on earth makes you think it will be as cheap as $1,000 :eek:

The cynicism is flowing a bit thick, don't you think? It's disappointing that DJI has up till now been mum about this issue, but I find it hard to believe that the form factor for the SSDs will be DJI proprietary. If that were the argument, then why didn't DJI also make the recording media for the Phantoms and Inspire proprietary? My bet is on microSATA SSDs. Time will tell.

Perhaps you're projecting your opinions on DJI proprietary battery technology (buttressed by the new P4 battery form factor) and that's coloring your thinking. We've all had moments that give us reason to be aghast at DJI's lack of follow up when it comes to supporting products already released (Osmo adapter for the X5/R and X5 FW issues being only the latest). So I can't fault you for being a bit cynical. I've always admired your advice and opinions on this forum and hope that you'll continue to give me reason to do so.

The cynicism is flowing a bit thick, don't you think? It's disappointing that DJI has up till now been mum about this issue, but I find it hard to believe that the form factor for the SSDs will be DJI proprietary. If that were the argument, then why didn't DJI also make the recording media for the Phantoms and Inspire proprietary? My bet is on microSATA SSDs. Time will tell.

Perhaps you're projecting your opinions on DJI proprietary battery technology (buttressed by the new P4 battery form factor) and that's coloring your thinking. We've all had moments that give us reason to be aghast at DJI's lack of follow up when it comes to supporting products already released (Osmo adapter for the X5/R and X5 FW issues being only the latest). So I can't fault you for being a bit cynical. I've always admired your advice and opinions on this forum and hope that you'll continue to give me reason to do so.
Oh perhaps I know something !:p
Thanks for your kind words but........ take another look at any pictures you can find on the internet at the X5R with SSD in place. The media has 'DJI' embossed on the enclosure. :cool:
Of course these are Pre-Production images but...................

as far as i could find out there is a 1.8" ssd drive that fits. it is called micro ssd and that will fit tha camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find it hard to believe that the form factor for the SSDs will be DJI proprietary.
Oh the images it seems pretty obviously narrower than standard microSATA, so it strongly suggests a proprietary form factor.

If that were the argument, then why didn't DJI also make the recording media for the Phantoms and Inspire proprietary?
Because the Phantoms don't need to pump up to 2.4Gbps of data into it. This exceeds the capabilities of a standard microSATA drive, and off the shelf alternatives that are capable of it are either significantly larger or not designed for frequent insertion/removal - hence the need to make their own to ensure reliability both mechanically and in terms of transfer speeds.

The early shots did not have a removable drive actually.
They did, but it's on the other side and thus (probably intentionally) hidden on that particular one.

as far as i could find out there is a 1.8" ssd drive that fits. it is called micro ssd and that will fit tha camera.
That's likely nothing more than an invalid autogenerated suggestion because there's SSD in the description. Especially given it's actually 2.5" and definitely won't fit in there.

Reactions: slim.slamma

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz