Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

X5R VIDEO FILES INVISIBLE - CINELIGHT PROBLEM

There is a better workflow in my opinion.
I use Cinelight only to process the raw files into DNG sequences. It takes some time but it is reasonable. I would never ProRes them out of Cinelight. You don'y know what is done to your footage during the conversion/compression.
I then import the DNG sequences into Resolve Lite (free from Blackmagic Design). It is a higher end color grading program and could be intimidating at first glance but there are plenty of tutorials on Youtube and Vimeo to take you by the hand through it. Basically, after importing the sequences you put them on a timeline (Resolve is also an NLE), color correct/grade and then you export the clips in the format and ratio you want. I would suggest to export in ProRes 4444 if you need to process them further in FCPX or PRoRes 422HQ if ready for output.
The export is relatively fast at a very high quality. Resolve plays very well with DNG sequences.
Then import the ProRes clips into FCPX for further editing if needed. FCPX and ProRes are like 2 peas in a pod.
Hope that helps

Reactions: damoncooper
Oh my god yes it helps! But WISH i had posted over the weekend, as I'm now on my LAST clip that is taking 2 hours to output and the client needs it.....tomorrow!

I tried exporting the .dng things, which is really quick.....but then didn't know what to do with them!!!

But great info for future use, will give that a whirl shortly.

Thanks a million - I do like the nice helpful peeps on this forum!

There is a better workflow in my opinion.
I use Cinelight only to process the raw files into DNG sequences. It takes some time but it is reasonable. I would never ProRes them out of Cinelight. You don'y know what is done to your footage during the conversion/compression.
I then import the DNG sequences into Resolve Lite (free from Blackmagic Design). It is a higher end color grading program and could be intimidating at first glance but there are plenty of tutorials on Youtube and Vimeo to take you by the hand through it. Basically, after importing the sequences you put them on a timeline (Resolve is also an NLE), color correct/grade and then you export the clips in the format and ratio you want. I would suggest to export in ProRes 4444 if you need to process them further in FCPX or PRoRes 422HQ if ready for output.
The export is relatively fast at a very high quality. Resolve plays very well with DNG sequences.
Then import the ProRes clips into FCPX for further editing if needed. FCPX and ProRes are like 2 peas in a pod.
Hope that helps

+1. You can import and transcode a full SSD magazine in about an hour this way, soup to nuts (start to finish).

Reactions: Cactuswest
I tried exporting the .dng things, which is really quick.....but then didn't know what to do with them!!!

Glad I can help.
The SSD records raw files. Which means it records what the sensor sees without applying any correction to it. No contrast, white balance, gamma curve, sharpening and so on. In contrast, the h264 files you get from the memory card is processed in camera depending of the camera settings you choose. The look is more or less baked in when you view them right out of the card.
No such things with raw files. There are not even video clips at this time. This is why you need Cinelight to convert the raw files into video, in this case a DNG sequence. It is called a sequence because the individual frames are not wrapped into a container like a .mov video file.
So what is the advantage of the DNG sequence? Because it records what the sensor sees without processing it gives you as much dynamic range as the sensor is capable of delivering. It also keeps a lot more color and luma information than its compressed sibling, the h264. All this awesomeness requires however an extra step to be unleashed. The DNG sequence comes very flat when looking at a waveform or a RGB parade videoscope so you need to color correct/grade to get the best from shooting raw files.

Well thats all great.......BUT.

For some reason, the clip I'm putting through Resolve is producing weird glitches and pixelations and all sorts?!?!

i'll upload it in a bit.

It is a VERY dark clip, as I'm learning the camera seems to be way darker than the monitor picture, but still - it should be smooth "dark" not glitchy dark...

I have a good set up - Mac Pro 2013, 3Ghz 8 core Intel Xeon E5, 32GB RAM and dual AMD Firepro D700 cards......yet its no happy?!?!

At least I have time to fix it, client wants it........oh tomorrow!

(Head slap!)

Well thats all great.......BUT.

For some reason, the clip I'm putting through Resolve is producing weird glitches and pixelations and all sorts?!?!

i'll upload it in a bit.

It is a VERY dark clip, as I'm learning the camera seems to be way darker than the monitor picture, but still - it should be smooth "dark" not glitchy dark...

I have a good set up - Mac Pro 2013, 3Ghz 8 core Intel Xeon E5, 32GB RAM and dual AMD Firepro D700 cards......yet its no happy?!?!

At least I have time to fix it, client wants it........oh tomorrow!

(Head slap!)

I'd recommend exporting PP compatible DNG sequences for now. They are larger but seem to work better in Resolve and PP

Reactions: RuneWold
I'd recommend exporting PP compatible DNG sequences for now. They are larger but seem to work better in Resolve and PP
I can also recommend this way. Its much faster and gives you great control in like After Effects that I use. Im on a Apple Power Book 15" 2.8GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz with a 1TB PCIe-based Flash Storage as my "in the filed" machine. Its for sure the fastest way from my experience. In the Video Suite at the studio I use a PC with much more power but the Apple handles exporting almost as fast.

I wish for a and keep looking for a kind of solution where you can plugin your drives and it automatically back up the drive or even convert it to back up drives. Both a solution in on site and a Rack solution that can be setup in the studio to copy to the network. Readers are cheep so and so is HD`s. Cant really say the same for the Dji SDD drives :-D

Hi all.

OK so Resolve is NOT liking my PP compatible DNG's. When I render - I get glitches all over the footage. So this is probably a mac / resolve issue for me?

I wonder if I can send one of you chaps a dng sequence and see if you can get it to render without the glitches?? I'm a bit stuck else.

Or maybe one of you might just let me know the exact workflow you do when in Resolve, i.e. First I do this and then I do this, and then I select this.....just incase there is something I am missing here?? I don't know resolve very well at all!

Would be very grateful but appreciate that's quite time consuming!

I'm downloading After Effects now to see if I can use that with more success......

OK....its a mac issue.

I just downloaded resolve onto my macbook pro and did the same process through that.....no glitches. So the 3 year old macbook pro delivers what the top spec Mac Pro set up can't!

Brilliant!

I have never used Resolve and uses After Effects most then Premiere. I see you will use after effects. Thats great. When you ad a composition to Render Cue there is a special error warning that warn of you have drop frames. Also when importing AE will let you know if there is corrupted files in your import sequence. Good luck :)

Thanks RuneWold - I will try After Effects too - see which is most effective.

Yes we're using After Effects with no problems, too.

Hi all.

OK so Resolve is NOT liking my PP compatible DNG's. When I render - I get glitches all over the footage. So this is probably a mac / resolve issue for me?

I wonder if I can send one of you chaps a dng sequence and see if you can get it to render without the glitches?? I'm a bit stuck else.

Or maybe one of you might just let me know the exact workflow you do when in Resolve, i.e. First I do this and then I do this, and then I select this.....just incase there is something I am missing here?? I don't know resolve very well at all!

Would be very grateful but appreciate that's quite time consuming!

I'm downloading After Effects now to see if I can use that with more success......

We're using After Effects with no problem too. Rendering speed is about 1.5 frames per second. Interesting that these no apparent speed difference between rendering from an attached thunderbolt hard drive or the iMac's internal 1tb flash drive. Thunderbolt is a v fast connection and the drive spins at 7200.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz