Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!
Reaction score
Anyone else experienced it yet? ISO 100 looking at the sunset over the Pacific Ocean. Will post a video shortly. Say it ain't so...it's pretty bad. X5 bad.

Update. It's an Adobe Camera RAW issue. Setting the shot to "Camera Raw Defaults" gets rid of it. Then I brought back individual adjustments one at a time to see if it caused the flickering. White balance, no. Contrast down...yes. This is either strictly an Adobe problem or it's something DJI and Adobe need to iron out together. I remember something similar when dealing with Canon 5D Mark III/ML Raw files too.

So at this point:

AE CC2014 - Adobe Camera Raw contrast adjustments cause flickering. I'm assuming other adjustments cause it as well. White Balance seemed OK.

AE CC2015 - Seems to be OK all around. White balance and contrast/exposure changes made with no flickering.

This leads me to believe that Premiere Pro CC 2014 will have issues as well. Can anyone confirm? Anyone else seeing this in AE CC 2014 with Contrast adjustments?

Last edited:
Update. It's an Adobe Camera RAW issue. Setting the shot to "Camera Raw Defaults" gets rid of it. Then I brought back individual adjustments one at a time to see if it caused the flickering. White balance, no. Contrast down...yes. This is either strictly an Adobe problem or it's something DJI and Adobe need to iron out together. I remember something similar when dealing with Canon 5D Mark III/ML Raw files too.

So at this point:

AE CC2014 - Adobe Camera Raw contrast adjustments cause flickering. I'm assuming other adjustments cause it as well. White Balance seemed OK.

AE CC2015 - Seems to be OK all around. White balance and contrast/exposure changes made with no flickering.

This leads me to believe that Premiere Pro CC 2014 will have issues as well. Can anyone confirm? Anyone else seeing this in AE CC 2014 with Contrast adjustments?

I only use PP CC (2015) but have zero flicker with my X5R footage.

Anyone else experienced it yet? ISO 100 looking at the sunset over the Pacific Ocean. Will post a video shortly. Say it ain't so...it's pretty bad. X5 bad.

I'm actually experiencing that same issue, its more of an exposure flicker (subtle, but its there)..... I'm seeing this both in my exported cinemaDNG raw files as well as my h.264 proxies. It seems as if my settings were on auto exposure but that wasn't the case, I always had the settings on full manual. Are there defective units out there?

I'm actually experiencing that same issue, its more of an exposure flicker (subtle, but its there)..... I'm seeing this both in my exported cinemaDNG raw files as well as my h.264 proxies. It seems as if my settings were on auto exposure but that wasn't the case, I always had the settings on full manual. Are there defective units out there?

Check that you aren't using S or A modes. There's a lot of hunting that goes on in either mode. Use M only for video.

Definitely turn off auto exposure and AWB when taking video.

I had an interesting mess around with the X5R at night last night to push the low light. I was extremely worried at first in my test samples as it appeared to flicker under the lights. Just out of chance the flickering 100% went when I changed the frame rate :) I think it is the pulsing in the lights mixing with the 180 degree shutter? All
I know is once I set the shutter at night time to the frame rate, there was zero flickering (eg 4K 24fps (shutter same/close). When I had the shutter at double, that's when I saw the flickering. There was no flickering in shadows also.

I had an interesting mess around with the X5R at night last night to push the low light. I was extremely worried at first in my test samples as it appeared to flicker under the lights. Just out of chance the flickering 100% went when I changed the frame rate :) I think it is the pulsing in the lights mixing with the 180 degree shutter? All
I know is once I set the shutter at night time to the frame rate, there was zero flickering (eg 4K 24fps (shutter same/close). When I had the shutter at double, that's when I saw the flickering. There was no flickering in shadows also.
This is what the anti flicker option is for within the app.
It is caused by the line frequency of lighting out of phase with the cameras frame rate.
Set the anti flicker to your local line frequency or try Auto.

Last edited:
Noticing it at random now. Nothing to do with shutter speed or lighting. Seems to mostly show up in 4K/24 and almost never in UHD/30. Although I have shot stuff in 4K/24 that doesn't flicker.

Noticing it at random now. Nothing to do with shutter speed or lighting. Seems to mostly show up in 4K/24 and almost never in UHD/30. Although I have shot stuff in 4K/24 that doesn't flicker.
My answer to post #7 was explaining the anti-flicker setting which is for combatting flicker caused by line frequency out of phase with shutter rate.
What you are experiencing is to do with the fact DJI are clueless when it comes to codecs and the interplay between Intra-frame, GOP structure, and bit rate.
They also (in an effort to make the camera appear better than it actually is) use a dynamic knee point which floats around all over the place!

My answer to post #7 was explaining the anti-flicker setting which is for combatting flicker caused by line frequency out of phase with shutter rate.
What you are experiencing is to do with the fact DJI are clueless when it comes to codecs and the interplay between Intra-frame, GOP structure, and bit rate.
They also (in an effort to make the camera appear better than it actually is) use a dynamic knee point which floats around all over the place!

I'm old enough to feel the need to inquire as to where one can purchase this dynamic knee point, as my left knee has been giving me all sorts of trouble. ;)

Seriously, though, for those of us not initiated in the higher levels of the video conspiracy that is the "Society for Producing Useless Nerdy Codecs," otherwise known as SPUNC, can you shed some light on this aspect of H.264 coding that has many of us baffled? That is, if your membership oath does not promise instant death if such knowledge is revealed to the uninitiated. :eek:

Reactions: Dr. Ifly Drones
I haven't seen the flickering yet luckily, hope DJI are looking at this for the next firmware update

Yup, confirmed. The flickering is a direct result from using CameraRAW (Adobe AE 2015 CC). This really sucks as cameraw is loads better than lumetri in Premiere......hopefully gets this resolved.

One of you is talking about After Effects Camera RAW (Luke) and one of you is mentioning Premiere Pro (Damon). I haven't used AE to process my X5R files, but I have not seen any flicker in Premiere Pro 2015 CC. I can see the point in using AE Camera RAW to grade easier, especially for those more used to the still photography side of things, but if it introduces flicker, why bother?

It's been fairly random for me, honestly. Seems like the only consistincy in it is 4K/24. I haven't noticed a single frame when shooting UHD/30. Even then, not all 4K/24 has been flickering either.

AE is much more fluid for heavy grading than PP, not sure too many people use it for Photography as its not really optimized for it. Also, PP and AE both use the same version of Camera RAW so it would have to be something on the AE side of things (if that is indeed the culprit here)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz