Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Upgrading to X5 from Inspire V1

Reaction score
I've seen some posts about upgrading to the X5 with mixed results but they're all quite old. I'm wondering what people's experience or recommendations are for upgrading from and Inspire V1 to the X5. I'm not the most familiar with the forums so forgive me if this is a lame question.

I undertand I might have slightly shorter fly times due to motor power/effeciency difference between the V1 and V2 but is there any major problems I need to think of besides the new mounting plate etc (and updating firmware)? Thinking the DJI 15mm and Olympus 45mm rather than the Olympus 12mm since the X5 without lens isn't currently in stock on B&H right now.

I would check to see if Ralph at FlyHighUsa has the camera/no lens in stock. I am pretty sure he has the lenses also. He is a trusted vendor here.

Did the upgrade (from V2) to X5 a few days ago, no issues, worked like charm. Follow the instructions on how to upgrade the firmware!

Chris

Reactions: Kenneth Sands
Well as others have just pointed out it's really not too difficult. Mechanically it's very straightforward but checking which firmware to upgrade to requires a bit more concentration and research.

However be prepared for a very different flying experience as the increased weight and position of the X5 camera definitely altered the way my Inspire 1 flew. For me the Inspire Vers 1 flys a lot better with the X3 camera. However, the dramatic improvement in image quality makes it all worthwhile.

If you can try and wait to get hold of the Olympus 12mm. From all the posts on this forum it seems to come out on top. I've found it a lovely little lens and have just bought a set of Tiffin 46mm ND Filters to use on extra bright days.

Great upgrade, we just did it ourselves a few months ago. You will loose some flight time (down to 11 min on the 47 batteries) but the picture quality is amazing. We primarily use it for still photographs and the quality is amazing (leaps and bounds above the x3). If you are looking for the camera w/o lens, Zach over at Drone-Works.com has them in stock and is great to work with. Tell him the Mike from Annapolis sent you over to him...he gave us a nice deal on ours w/ the mounting hardware and riser kit.

Have an Inspire V1 with X3 and added X5 with Olympus 12mm. Shorter flight times (ca -4min) & noticably heavier copter to fly, motors & batteries run a bit warmer but not much. Requires more effort to get good quality due to more things to keep track of (aperture, focus etc). Considerable improvment in still quality, not so much on video. Actually still use the X3 for video most of the time, it is sufficient for what I do, flight times are longer, and easier to use. Also, the X5 with Olympus 12mm creates a lot of barrel distortion on video. Dislike the X5 memory card slot, difficult to eject the microSD & easy to loose the card in the field.

Overall, well worth it & would recommend it as long as you plan to keep the X3 as well.

I finally bit the bullet and ordered an X5 for my v1. Can anyone tell me the procedure to upgrade firmware for this modification? Will I need to use the v2 pro firmware?

I've flown both V1 and V2 with the X5 and they are not that different.
Would you please tell me what differences you did notice? I just bought the X5 for my v1 and I'd like to know what to expect. Also, will I need to download the Inspire 1 Pro F/W for the X5 and install it?

Would you please tell me what differences you did notice? I just bought the X5 for my v1 and I'd like to know what to expect. Also, will I need to download the Inspire 1 Pro F/W for the X5 and install it?

I just got mine too. Picked up an Olympus 12mm and took it out for a flight yesterday. It's fantastic, big difference to the X3. Im also running a V1.

Yes you need to download the pro firmware. I'm running 1.9x and not 1.10x yet, have no issues at all. Flies better than the X3. No issue with horizon even at full roll, and takes fantastic pictures. Pick up the Oly 12mm. I'm running two 11g filters on the front and have a coin balancing the tilt axis on the gimbal and now have perfect balance. Spectacular machine and worth the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got mine too. Picked up an Olympus 12mm and took it out for a flight yesterday. It's fantastic, big difference to the X3. Im also running a V1.

Yes you need to download the pro firmware. I'm running 1.9x and not 1.10x yet, have no issues at all. Flies better than the X3. No issue with horizon even at full roll, and takes fantastic pictures. Pick up the Oly 12mm. I'm running two 11g filters on the front and have a coin balancing the tilt axis on the gimbal and now have perfect balance. Spectacular machine and worth the money.

Why 2, 11 gram filters?

Reactions: Photo Jim
Why 2, 11 gram filters?

4741fd03243014af22ff7edaa68a7b4e.jpg

I'm following this guide, and it was the closest I could get, with the 22g on the front it rests perfectly when the inspire is off. Which is ideal as it does less damage to your gimbal.

4741fd03243014af22ff7edaa68a7b4e.jpg

I'm following this guide, and it was the closest I could get, with the 22g on the front it rests perfectly when the inspire is off. Which is ideal as it does less damage to your gimbal.

My question was why 2 filters? OK one filter and a lens shade I understand but using 2 filters will not help final image quality.

Thanks for the help!

My question was why 2 filters? OK one filter and a lens shade I understand but using 2 filters will not help final image quality.

I said it was as close as I could get for the weight. The difference is negligible I'm not doing print here. I have to order the shade in from the states so I wanted something in the meantime - sorry I should have mentioned that before.

Reactions: SanCap
I said it was as close as I could get for the weight. The difference is negligible I'm not doing print here. I have to order the shade in from the states so I wanted something in the meantime.

Gotcha, I switch thru my 3 lenses, filters, and sun shades on a regular basis. I use blue tac for quick and easy balancing since the variables... are ....variable. This works in case you do not have the screw on filters etc. Grab a little bit and smash it on the camera where needed. It is actually quick and easy and not permanant. https://www.amazon.com/Blu-Tack-060...e=UTF8&qid=1483583591&sr=8-1&keywords=blu-tac

Reactions: Johnsimatos
Gotcha, I switch thru my 3 lenses, filters, and sun shades on a regular basis. I use blue tac for quick and easy balancing since the variables... are ....variable. This works in case you do not have the screw on filters etc. Grab a little bit and smash it on the camera where needed. It is actually quick and easy and not permanant. https://www.amazon.com/Blu-Tack-060...e=UTF8&qid=1483583591&sr=8-1&keywords=blu-tac

Ha, that's a really good idea. Thanks man.

I've flown both V1 and V2 with the X5 and they are not that different.
I upgraded my v1 model to pro and an x5. Definitely feel the difference when flying, but picture quality is much better. My X3 just stopped working right though. At first, all was well, but then I started noticing jello effect a few months ago. Today, I tried to fly after not using it for a while, and the X3 would not send a video feed. I later tried again and it worked with no problem. Shut it down and tried again and it would not send the feed! In fact, the app didn't even recognize it. Have you had this issue with your X3. Also, have you had any problems with the I1 v1 motors after flying with the added weight of the X5? Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LangeJens