Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

The time has come.....

Reaction score
Ok i am now looking to do my pfaw here in the uk and i'm wondering just what the overall costs will be if anyone has been through the training etc recently? Is there any hidden costs that i should factor in other than public liability insurance and the cost of a three day course (currently 1250gbp plus 299 for flight exam)? there is a course in a couple of weeks literally on my doorstep so......

Ok i am now looking to do my pfaw here in the uk and i'm wondering just what the overall costs will be if anyone has been through the training etc recently? Is there any hidden costs that i should factor in other than public liability insurance and the cost of a three day course (currently 1250gbp plus 299 for flight exam)? there is a course in a couple of weeks literally on my doorstep so......
Hi Ricky - have moved your post to this section as your question is PFAW related.

To answer your thread, you are approximately looking at:

• Cost of your NQE course (£1,650)
  • CAA PFAW Fees (Currently £112 for initial application)
  • Liability insurance - Circa £650 - £1,250 depending on the level of cover & whether you want Hull (aircraft) damage included.
  • Sundries like - High Vis jacket(s), Cones/Cordon equip etc
That should just about set you up. :)

What are your feelings on trying to break into a market that already has many established businesses running ? I've heard good things about resource group and their training package, that comes in at only £995 which could save you on some start up costs. Good luck with it

What are your feelings on trying to break into a market that already has many established businesses running ? I've heard good things about resource group and their training package, that comes in at only £995 which could save you on some start up costs. Good luck with it
They do but I think that is for a web based learning course.
Personally I wouldn't recommend trying to do your ground school via this method but that's just my opinion.

They do but I think that is for a web based learning course.
Personally I wouldn't recommend trying to do your ground school via this method but that's just my opinion.

That's right yes, I think you get web based learning followed by two days in classroom. I'm looking to possibly get on a course next month.

If you are flying for fun you don't need a PFAW so I presume that you are planning to make a living from your drone?

With just 3 NQE less than 12 months ago and over 12 (15?) NQE now the training market is pumping out several hundred new drone pilots every month. The market has filled up rapidly and you should question how likely you are to be able to cover the considerable setup and operating costs. This exponential growth rate has been fueled by over inflated promises of abundant work at high value, which simply is not achievable by a rookie drone operator.

If on the other hand you have spare cash and simply want to become a better hobby flier then go for it.

If you are flying for fun you don't need a PFAW so I presume that you are planning to make a living from your drone?

With just 3 NQE less than 12 months ago and over 12 (15?) NQE now the training market is pumping out several hundred new drone pilots every month. The market has filled up rapidly and you should question how likely you are to be able to cover the considerable setup and operating costs. This exponential growth rate has been fueled by over inflated promises of abundant work at high value, which simply is not achievable by a rookie drone operator.

If on the other hand you have spare cash and simply want to become a better hobby flier then go for it.

This is the only stumbling block that's making me question my current chase for a PFAW. The more market research I carry out the more I see site upon site advertising aerial photography and filming!

Has anyone looking to get the PFAW and start a fresh business arrived too late at the scene or is there still a fighting chance of making it work? Who knows unless you try.

I suppose if trade people I.e your plumbers electricians etc all said sod it there must be loads of people out there doing that, then we would never have new people entering the industry.

Another side to the coin, if your not trying to make a full time living from it as you already have a well paid job, maybe there is enough work if your proactive enough to recoup your training costs and over time just earn you a bit on the side whilst enjoying your hobbie??

Reactions: turramin and lrh111
This is the only stumbling block that's making me question my current chase for a PFAW. The more market research I carry out the more I see site upon site advertising aerial photography and filming!

Has anyone looking to get the PFAW and start a fresh business arrived too late at the scene or is there still a fighting chance of making it work? Who knows unless you try.

I suppose if trade people I.e your plumbers electricians etc all said sod it there must be loads of people out there doing that, then we would never have new people entering the industry.

Another side to the coin, if your not trying to make a full time living from it as you already have a well paid job, maybe there is enough work if your proactive enough to recoup your training costs and over time just earn you a bit on the side whilst enjoying your hobbie??

That really sums it up I think, it's a hugely saturated market and there's really no that much work out there especially for one man operations. But there are still opportunities to be had. Also, as the amount of PFAW holders increases, there has also been a big rise in the percentage of PFAW's that are not being renewed after their first year so it will eventually balance out.
I'm a member of ARPAS and one of the topics that comes up quite a lot is the over saturation of the market and the rapidly decreasing cost of hiring a company to do aerial work due to the competition.
I'm going down that route at the moment, in the final stages of getting my PFAW (with Resourse Group, the web based training is only a small part of their syllabus, it's like an introduction to the topics covered in much more detail at the ground school), it's been a hugely rewarding process (not financially though haha) just for the challenge and the opportunity to gain more knowledge and become a better and safer UAV operator, luckily my current lines of work allow me plenty spare time to indulge in it.
I'd like to earn some money from it, or at least recoup some costs (currently one wrecked Inspire, 2 operational Inspires, additional equipment, training, insurance ect). But I doubt very much I'd be able to rely on it as my sole income.

Thanks for all the replies folks :)

I'm looking at my PFAW because i am looking to start a wedding videography/photography business and would like to have my p.f.a.w as part of that so i could include aerial work as part of my service. I also have 2 jobs already so will be keeping them until i feel at a point where i could leave and still earn enough for me and my family. I agree with most of the points made here and i suppose my main worry is that i wouldn't be able to recoup the cost of the PFAW and associated costs in under a year as i still have a lot to learn regarding both video and flying !!! At the same time i would hate for someone to offer me some work and having to turn it down.......

Reactions: turramin

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz