Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

UK Help preparing for the theory test

Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post in, but I thought I'd ask you lovely qualified pilots seeing as you are most likely to know!

I am currently studying for my PfCO from the CAA. I have been doing the course online, working through modules that have a few questions throughout and then at the end of each module there is a mini quiz. I have been getting these questions right, but I am curious as to what the actual exam will be like and test me on.

Aside from reading through all my notes again, getting someone else test me, and then finally taking the mock test, are there any other things out there to help me prepare? I was wondering if there might be a Q&A app that could run through some test questions or perhaps another online site that might have more of the type of questions up.

If anyone might be able to tell or hint at me the areas that might require a bit more revision or that I will be tested on more then it would be greatly appreciated! :)

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post in, but I thought I'd ask you lovely qualified pilots seeing as you are most likely to know!

I am currently studying for my PfCO from the CAA. I have been doing the course online, working through modules that have a few questions throughout and then at the end of each module there is a mini quiz. I have been getting these questions right, but I am curious as to what the actual exam will be like and test me on.

Aside from reading through all my notes again, getting someone else test me, and then finally taking the mock test, are there any other things out there to help me prepare? I was wondering if there might be a Q&A app that could run through some test questions or perhaps another online site that might have more of the type of questions up.

If anyone might be able to tell or hint at me the areas that might require a bit more revision or that I will be tested on more then it would be greatly appreciated! :)
Make sure you can read your METARS and TAFS inside out, are confident comprehending coordinates for map location.
Anabatic and Katabatic winds (know which is which).
Airspace segregation and classes of where you can and cannot operate.
As I'm sure you are aware, it's a multiple choice exam with around 78% as a pass. There are only so many questions that can crop up. :)

Good way to remember anabatic and katabatic... you put the kat out at night.

BR for mist... British rail (mist the train)

Worked for me :) ... I'll get me coat!

Never been a fan of online training, nothing is better than being in a room with an instructor where you can ask questions.

It'll pretty much be whatever you're being taught/told about in the online stuff and your course notes.

There's not a huge amount of general exam literature as each NQE sets their own course and questions within a framework given by the CAA, and each NQE has their own emphasis on bits that they think are more important than others.

But as a general aid, know which CAP refers to what, what the air governing bodies are, insurance requirements, basics of flight, basics of Met and clouds, how to read OS and Air maps and work out co-ords like lat/long and you'll be well on the way.

It'll pretty much be whatever you're being taught/told about in the online stuff and your course notes.

There's not a huge amount of general exam literature as each NQE sets their own course and questions within a framework given by the CAA, and each NQE has their own emphasis on bits that they think are more important than others.

But as a general aid, know which CAP refers to what, what the air governing bodies are, insurance requirements, basics of flight, basics of Met and clouds, how to read OS and Air maps and work out co-ords like lat/long and you'll be well on the way.
How did you get on Nick. Im just studying online myself and had the same question as you?

Presume you actually mean Martmin not me ;) I passed my ground school no problems.

Advice still stands, each NQE has it's own set of important bits, so pay attention to the hints that your course tutor/advisor gives you.

If you're not getting hints from them ( :( ) then, as a general guide, I'd say read up on what I mentioned in last paragraph ands it wouldn't be too far wide of the mark or time wasted...

"which CAP refers to what, what the air governing bodies are, insurance requirements, basics of flight, basics of Met and clouds, how to read OS and Air maps and work out co-ords like lat/long and you'll be well on the way."

Presume you actually mean Martmin not me ;) I passed my ground school no problems.

Advice still stands, each NQE has it's own set of important bits, so pay attention to the hints that your course tutor/advisor gives you.

If you're not getting hints from them ( :( ) then, as a general guide, I'd say read up on what I mentioned in last paragraph ands it wouldn't be too far wide of the mark or time wasted...

"which CAP refers to what, what the air governing bodies are, insurance requirements, basics of flight, basics of Met and clouds, how to read OS and Air maps and work out co-ords like lat/long and you'll be well on the way."
I do. Thank you for your advice. My course is his and is a different concept with the e-learning aspect. Didn’t know if the same questions as in the ongoing quizzes and the final exam (open book) are the same questions that i will have on my exam with my flight test. My tutor is away at present and was stressing a little. Lots to get your head around .

Last edited:
Read CAP 722, courses will supply a handbook to read

at hummgbird-uav.co.uk we also provide an online portal with help advice and useful information

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LangeJens