Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Terrible Bent Horizon on New Inspire 1 Pro X5 DJI Lens

Reaction score
I just started working on my first clips form my new Inspire 1 Pro X5 with the DJI stock lens and I am very disappointed in the horizon distortion coming out of the lens. I purposely went this route over the GoPro to avoid horizon issues.

I took the attached screenshot below from my timeline in premiere pro and you can see the horizon weirdly bends on the right side..

I tried using the Lens Distortion Curvature effect in PP CC 2015 but the horizon issue is more of an S curve than a C curve so it does not help too much..

Not sure if this is a lens issue, camera issue, or user issue..

Anyone else having weird lens distortions on the DJI lens?

Does anyone have a review of the Leica Lens option?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 11.28.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 11.28.53 AM.png
    6.6 MB · Views: 324
Last edited:
The camera is not leveled on the horizon, so that it leans towards the right.
Occurs both on the X3 and X5.

Then you know that the earth is round ..? ;)

Reactions: howard rockliffe
I just started working on my first clips form my new Inspire 1 Pro X5 with the DJI stock lens and I am very disappointed in the horizon distortion coming out of the lens. I purposely went this route over the GoPro to avoid horizon issues.

I took the attached screenshot below from my timeline in premiere pro and you can see the horizon weirdly bends on the right side..

I tried using the Lens Distortion Curvature effect in PP CC 2015 but the horizon issue is more of an S curve than a C curve so it does not help too much..

It's called barrel distortion, and it's prevalent on the DJI 15 mm lens, just as on the X3 lens. It can be fixed in post, and I'm sure Adobe will have a lens profile soon to make it easier.

Attachments

• Barrel-Distortion.png
    Barrel-Distortion.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 50
The olympus 12mm has a lot more glass hence the higher cost & might avoid this but... is it REALLY an issue. Is your CLIENT going to notice or care?

Do they even know what barrel distortion is? Although I'd say it could be something else as its only showing on the right hand side. In my opinion it's nothing like go pro footage. Your running the equivalent of a 30mm lens which is quite zoomed in. Where as go pro is the equivalent of 12-18mm lens. Just keep shooting and enjoy it.

As stated before your horizon is skewed. If you first even that out then make the distortion adjustment you will be able to fix the image.

It sucks a bit that DJI didn't include an in camera correction for the distortion. However, I'm pretty sure it would cost in processing power or even maybe voltage and weight if more chips needed adding.

A 15mm MFT lens with no correction profile will barrel distort so it's nothing wrong with the equipment. Nor is it a strong enough distortion to not recover.

I'm sure Adobe will have a lens profile soon to make it easier.
Adobe will not have lens profiles for any of these MFT lenses, because the lens profile is encoded in the image. You can see this in the Lightroom develop module; open the Lens Corrections panel, and at the bottom you will see "Built-in Lens Profile applied":
[GALLERY=media, 165]Profile by InterMurph posted Oct 28, 2015 at 12:23 PM[/GALLERY]
If you check the Enable Profile Corrections box, the built-in lens profile will not be used, but you will not find a matching profile.

So this could be one explanation for the curved horizon line; perhaps the software used to write it does not honor the built-in MFT lens profiles?

Adobe will not have lens profiles for any of these MFT lenses, because the lens profile is encoded in the image. You can see this in the Lightroom develop module; open the Lens Corrections panel, and at the bottom you will see "Built-in Lens Profile applied":
[GALLERY=media, 165]Profile by InterMurph posted Oct 28, 2015 at 12:23 PM[/GALLERY]
If you check the Enable Profile Corrections box, the built-in lens profile will not be used, but you will not find a matching profile.

So this could be one explanation for the curved horizon line; perhaps the software used to write it does not honor the built-in MFT lens profiles?

I am using the latest LR CC 2015 release (2015.2.1 and Camera RAW 9.2), and it does not show what you post in your image for a DNG file. Attached is a screen shot. Granted, there is no lens profile in Camera RAW for any MFT lens, which is a sad fact and a major oversight on Adobe's part. However PS CC has some mighty useful lens correction controls for doing a manual correction, soooooo.........;)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 5.23.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 5.23.03 PM.png
    68.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 5.24.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 5.24.55 PM.png
    167.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
You do not have to wait for Adobe to make a lens profile for the I1 X5, just try different profiles until you find one that fixes the barrel distortion then stick with that. I found one that works perfectly in LR6, I don't remember the exact lens, but I went through about 20 camera maker lens combinations until I found the one that fixed it then I saved that as a preset that I apply to all new footage.

If you do not have LR then you can try PtLens or ProDrenalin. In ProDrenalin I also found a camera profile for a Panasonic lens that fixed the barrel distortion.

I am not as impressed by the clarity of the resolution in your image as I was hoping to be by the x5

I am not as impressed by the clarity of the resolution in your image as I was hoping to be by the x5
I can assure you that the I1 Pro's footage is phenomenal. The picture in this thread is not even close to an accurate representation. For one thing there is nothing in the picture to show its dynamic range capabilities, there is no contrast, and there are no edges to show sharpness, basically it's the worst possible picture to base a I1 Pro buying decision on.

Based on the file name and metadata I doubt it is even from raw camera footage out of the X5, it's probably just a screen shot from the live video feed coming from the I1. The picture was uploaded only to show the horizon tilt, not the capabilities of the camera.

There's plenty of examples of those in the photo/video section.

12mm olympus looks exactly the same. Didn't expect to see barrel distortion like that as I don't rememebr seeing it on the gh4.
Most MFT cameras (Olympus /Panasonic) have a built-in correction is firmware for lens distortion including barrel distortion. The DJI X5 obviously does not. Like the X3 and all Nikon and Canon lens, this is something Adobe can fit in Camera Raw and Lightroom. They have not done so yet.

Hi,
yes, the thread is an older one, but I have only recently bought the Inspire 1 Pro to use professionally and am now also battling with exactly this problem.
I use the DJI 15mm and the Olympus 12mm lenses, barrel distortion is quite awful. DJI support thinks that the X5 should also correct the distortion in-camera
and suggest to send it in for testing. Since I can't afford not to use the equipment for weeks and expect that in the end it'll come down to "camera is ok but can't do it", I will probably pass on that.
So, does anyone have (or know where to get them) custom profiles for the DJI 15mm and Olympus 12mm lenses?
Thanks for you help
Michael

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz