Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Lens calibration and physically lock in infinity focus with MF switch on lens?

Reaction score
I have an X5R but I think this is relevant for all the X5 variants.

I shoot primarily video with my Inspire without a focus wheel so I shoot with infinity focus 99.99% of the time. I find that I have to do a lens calibration each flight because I seem to lose infinity focus between battery swaps or at least I have a few times and don’t realize it until I get back to a computer and notice everything is slightly out of focus.

Does anyone see an issue with taking off, calibrating, then landing and switching the physical AF/MF switch on the lens to MF to lock in the infinity focus?

On this same note I keep my Mavic Pro in infinity focus full time and it seems to keep infinity focus even between days and locations. I haven’t touched the focus in god knows how long. I think I remember that the infinity focus point can fluctuate depending on temperature, humidity etc. but is that correct or can I lock it in once and forget about it?

I have an X5R but I think this is relevant for all the X5 variants.

I shoot primarily video with my Inspire without a focus wheel so I shoot with infinity focus 99.99% of the time. I find that I have to do a lens calibration each flight because I seem to lose infinity focus between battery swaps or at least I have a few times and don’t realize it until I get back to a computer and notice everything is slightly out of focus.

Does anyone see an issue with taking off, calibrating, then landing and switching the physical AF/MF switch on the lens to MF to lock in the infinity focus?

On this same note I keep my Mavic Pro in infinity focus full time and it seems to keep infinity focus even between days and locations. I haven’t touched the focus in god knows how long. I think I remember that the infinity focus point can fluctuate depending on temperature, humidity etc. but is that correct or can I lock it in once and forget about it?
Lens calibration procedure is necessary only if you're employing manual focusing with the finger on screen. The system must know when a given lens is in focus if you hit infinity mark at the top of scroll bar. The calibration data should be recorded and valid, but in reality they're often lost when lenses are swapped. The issue, however, is totally irrelevant if you're using AF first to establish sharpness and switch to MF in app before shooting. Another, foolproof method in MF mode is to set the sharpness manually with lens ring before lift off. In Photo mode you can take the advantage of Focus Assistant feature. In both cases best practice is to focus with fully open aperture and adjust to a sweet F 5.6 - 8 after.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz