Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42 f/3.5-5.6 EZ Pancake Lens on X5 gimbal

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Much research showed that this lens is a very popular and fully supported addition to my Inspire 1 Pro v2. However, I was experiencing the lens motor buzzing as detailed in this forum section. It seems that many others have also had the same problem.
I had the lens carefully balanced out with filter, balance ring and/or suitable weight lens hood, but the buzzing bug started, which led to picture shake and blur.
After some experimenting, I found that without the balance weights, the lens behaved perfectly with no buzzing. My only worry is the longer term effect on the gimbal motor which has to work harder to keep the unbalanced lens level. I rang Heliguy and the technician I spoke to said he was familiar with the buzzing issue and that, provided the gimbal motor was not overheating, it should be fine to use the lens unbalanced.
Has anyone tried this over an extended period and found no problems? It would be such an expense if I had to replace the gimbal.
There is loads on YouTube about balancing lenses, but nothing about longer term use of an unbalanced lens.
Any info would be greatly appreciated, as this lens produces super results, and if anyone knows how to overcome the issue with non-auto focusing when zooming, that would be the icing on the cake.
Thanks

I do not use this lens at all anymore however, one of the difficulties is that when we "balance it" the internal components of the lens are in a different position than when turned on and energized. This shifts the Center of Gravity significantly from when can balance it with the motor off. So you have a good question. I do not know the definitive answer. On the focus question one can try to focus zoomed in, and then pull out to the desired starting magnification, the re zoom in and see if it holds the focus. I found the controls and the lens in zoom mode to be less then desirable for video but a good still tool. Just my opinion. As I said I no longer use the lens at all.

Thanks for your reply. To balance correctly, you simply switch on the bird, let the gimbal do its dance, then pull the battery without turning it off. The lens then remains in its extended position to enable balancing.
I tried what you suggest, but it does not re-focus as it should, good suggestion though.
I have an Olympus 40-150mm digital zoom in the post, to play with when it arrives. This will need serious balancing with weight on the camera end, not the lens end, so I am hoping for better results. We shall see.
Did you ever find a zoom lens that performed well?

Thanks for your reply. To balance correctly, you simply switch on the bird, let the gimbal do its dance, then pull the battery without turning it off. The lens then remains in its extended position to enable balancing.
I tried what you suggest, but it does not re-focus as it should, good suggestion though.
I have an Olympus 40-150mm digital zoom in the post, to play with when it arrives. This will need serious balancing with weight on the camera end, not the lens end, so I am hoping for better results. We shall see.
Did you ever find a zoom lens that performed well?
Hi everyone
Much research showed that this lens is a very popular and fully supported addition to my Inspire 1 Pro v2. However, I was experiencing the lens motor buzzing as detailed in this forum section. It seems that many others have also had the same problem.
I had the lens carefully balanced out with filter, balance ring and/or suitable weight lens hood, but the buzzing bug started, which led to picture shake and blur.
After some experimenting, I found that without the balance weights, the lens behaved perfectly with no buzzing. My only worry is the longer term effect on the gimbal motor which has to work harder to keep the unbalanced lens level. I rang Heliguy and the technician I spoke to said he was familiar with the buzzing issue and that, provided the gimbal motor was not overheating, it should be fine to use the lens unbalanced.
Has anyone tried this over an extended period and found no problems? It would be such an expense if I had to replace the gimbal.
There is loads on YouTube about balancing lenses, but nothing about longer term use of an unbalanced lens.
Any info would be greatly appreciated, as this lens produces super results, and if anyone knows how to overcome the issue with non-auto focusing when zooming, that would be the icing on the cake.
Thanks

Yes, I know about the killing the power, which is very important, however during the actual zooming process there are things moving back and forth, which I assume have always been minor, but you had the buzzing noise so thus I mentioned. The lens is not a vari-focal zoom so there can be that focus shift. My remedy was stopped down depth of field to help somewhat and just refocus. It was too hard for me to manage, I even tried to incorporate this as in an artistic effect once...lol. No, I personally have not found an interchangeable zoom solution. I have only heard that the incorporated camera/zoom gimbal works well on the I2, but it is too pricey for me.

Hi everyone
Thanks
I have this lens and you wouldn’t use a filter and balancing ring especially not with a lens hood. The filter is instead of a balancing ring. That’s why the required filter weight equals the weight of the balancing ring. The reason it works without the balancing ring is because that’s how it’s suppose to work. This is in the manual
CF69B8C5-C7EC-4A71-AE81-96991E98F8BA.jpeg

Thanks Brett8883, brilliant reply, answers all my questions. I had completely missed all the lens compatability details in the manual.
I can now experiment with lenses from a more informed position. So glad I asked.

Reactions: Brett8883

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbair