Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Oversaturated Red Colors on Zenmuse x5

Reaction score
Anyone experience oversaturated reds on Zenmuse x5? When I shoot the red color is oversaturated and way to vibrant. Any ideas on setting to use in camera to avoid this?

https://goo.gl/photos/26e5MUjW8hf3vnXT6

26e5MUjW8hf3vnXT6

Yes this drives me crazy. We were filming at a location with a bright red bridge and the footage is unusable because it looks like a glowing magenta bridge in all the shots...
DJI seems to have problems accurately reproducing red colours on the X5, you could try d-log.

Yes this drives me crazy. We were filming at a location with a bright red bridge and the footage is unusable because it looks like a glowing magenta bridge in all the shots...
DJI seems to have problems accurately reproducing red colours on the X5, you could try d-log.
I think it just shows up DJI inexperience in camera production (again).
I bet if you could put the X5(R) output on a vectorscope it would miss its phase on a few points!
Because there is no paint/matrix options on the X5 offerings you stand no chance of getting it to hit the mark. :mad:

Reactions: gruvpix
I think it just shows up DJI inexperience in camera production (again).
I bet if you could put the X5(R) output on a vectorscope it would miss its phase on a few points!
Because there is no paint/matrix options on the X5 offerings you stand no chance of getting it to hit the mark. :mad:
Haha yep... the camera also really struggles if there is a reddish light cast on the scene you are filming... This drove me crazy with another recent shoot as it was for a boxing match where red lights were used at points to illuminate the fighters. Any time they were cast in a red light, all natural skin tones and colour was out the window and cannot be brought back easily in grading.

Sorry to dig up an old grave, but we are experiencing this on the X5 as well as the X5S. Anyone come up with any ideas to help mitigate this effect. I was thinking of taking down a couple points on the Saturation in camera, but even if we shoot dlog it is very noticeable.

I have the X5 on an Osmo Pro and the red / magenta colour cast is a big issue in sunny weather. It also get worse with the use of ND filters. I use Tiffen ND filters that are good quality. I have looked into the issue in relation to the high end digital video cameras that need to use a lot of ND. The issue appears to be caused by Infra Red contamination of the sensor. Most digital cameras have an IR filter in front of the sensor to cut the IR before the pixels. It appears that the DJI MFT sensor has an inadequate IR filter. When shooting video it is necessary to reduce the shutter speed to twice the frame rate. The ND cuts down the visible light but does not cut out the IR. Therefore, if you reduce the visible light by 4 stops to match the shutter speed you have 16 times the amount of Infra Red light reaching the sensor and the colour cast increases. This is what i have found using various grades of ND. To resolve this i have ordered a 46mm IR/UV Cut filter. I will report back when it arrives and I have tested it.

I just shot a wedding with my Osmo PRO using the X5 and I used the cinelike color profile. My reds were blown out. Luckily I barely (and I mean barely) was able to edit it out enough to salvage the footage. Once I got home I started playing around with the different color profiles and I think that Art normalizes the reds. However, it's very flat coloring and it's near impossible to get any vibrance back in post processing. Has anyone else found the same?

I just tested out D-Log, D-Cinelike, None, and Art. Art is the only color profile that doesn't blow the reds out.

Anyone experience oversaturated reds on Zenmuse x5? When I shoot the red color is oversaturated and way to vibrant. Any ideas on setting to use in camera to avoid this?

https://goo.gl/photos/26e5MUjW8hf3vnXT6

26e5MUjW8hf3vnXT6
Hi there. I have fitted the B+W IR/UV cut filter to my X5 camera and it does improve the issue with the red colour cast. I shoot in the D-Log profile and then grade in FCPX 10.4 using the colour wheels. The footage is now very good. My other tip is to shoot -2 EV in bright sunlight as this also improves the footage. You can add an ND filter on top of the IR/UV filter and then stick a small coin in the back of the camera to maintain balance.

Hi there. I have fitted the B+W IR/UV cut filter to my X5 camera and it does improve the issue with the red colour cast. I shoot in the D-Log profile and then grade in FCPX 10.4 using the colour wheels. The footage is now very good. My other tip is to shoot -2 EV in bright sunlight as this also improves the footage. You can add an ND filter on top of the IR/UV filter and then stick a small coin in the back of the camera to maintain balance.
Hi Howzat - Im struggling to get the X5 to a place that I can accept. Im now to the forum as I try to solve this problem. Can I contact you to discuss? I dont know how to do the PM. Thanks very much.

Click on the little envelope symbol in the far upper right of the page you are on. That is the pm route.

Hiiii fellows.
lets try "almost normal" color setting for X5 Pro from my experience
Video Resolution : not affected to all format (4K (highset) to (lowest ) 1920x1080
Color : Classic or Beach (lower saturation) so you can pull gama/ brighnest etc on post
Style :Standart
WB (white Balance ) : Auto

but generally X5 camera still bit over saturated on red , i m sure.
but if "red " not "shift to over magenta color", it ll be okey to adjust on post.

The first thing I do with any pictures or video I take with that camera is to have the software adjust the white balance. That often takes care of it for me and almost always, it needs to shift away from magenta. It's much worse in low light when I usually shoot (sunrises)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbair