Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

UK On-site signage

Reaction score
Just wondering what people are using for on-site signage?

I've found a company who can produce free standing "A" board signs with my own design for about £11+vat each. I'm thinking of keeping it simple and to the point with an exclamation mark in a triangle with "Unmanned aerial photography in progress" underneath.

Just wondered whether anyone has found anything cheaper and/or better?

I've found a company who can produce free standing "A" board signs with my own design for about £11+vat each. I'm thinking of keeping it simple and to the point with an exclamation mark in a triangle with "Unmanned aerial photography in progress" underneath.

Why use a sign at all? It's not like you're not already being noticed, unless you're shooting a movie with permits its your responsibility to move away from people not the other way around, or is this a creative way to advertise?

Why use a sign at all? It's not like you're not already being noticed, unless you're shooting a movie with permits its your responsibility to move away from people not the other way around, or is this a creative way to advertise?
I use a sign because Im sick of being bombarded by the public as to why Im shooting. It makes me sick and gets my blood pressure up when someone attacks me. The sign helps a lot as they can see Im working and not spying on anyone.

I can imagine that would be irritating, I must admit my experiences have been vastly different and very positive, in fact so positive I now use a truck, generator and a large monitor so others can actively view my flights, and yes I love the positive attention, I try to answer as many questions as possible and kids of all ages gather in wonder and amazement. Now that night flying is no longer prohibited for hobbyist here in America I'm going to use a projector so others can witness the beauty of our nightlife.

Reactions: julesc26
It's a requirement here for certified pilots in the UK to have a cordon if the public are likely to be around. I use a series of posts and red and white plastic chain between them. I hang laminated signs from each section, exactly as described above. On my flight box I also have a sign.
475fd2fe550b583effdd86d0a8b972d1.jpg

I find this works better than any sign in keeping people away from me when flying (and it has a similar style logo as your avatar so perfect for you). ;)

I use a sign because Im sick of being bombarded by the public as to why Im shooting. It makes me sick and gets my blood pressure up when someone attacks me. The sign helps a lot as they can see Im working and not spying on anyone.

Im sick of being bombarded...It makes me sick and get...

Strikes me your not really a 'people' person. I enjoy when people ask questions, the general hubub and to a degree being in the limelight, Yes, I do enjoy all that.
You're 'sick' quite a lot I've noticed, and from previous posts too, maybe you need to lighten up a little....???

Reactions: MacDyver
I like the questions and the interest. Its a way to educate the public on what we do and that we are not all flying privacy invading perverts...:) It shows also that we do need to have people keep back from our flight areas to protect them and our business because of FAA rules and insurance reasons. I will admit though I have had people walk right through coned off areas with signs and not blink at all. Inconsiderate to say the least....

Reactions: MacDyver
I can imagine that would be irritating, I must admit my experiences have been vastly different and very positive, in fact so positive I now use a truck, generator and a large monitor so others can actively view my flights, and yes I love the positive attention, I try to answer as many questions as possible and kids of all ages gather in wonder and amazement. Now that night flying is no longer prohibited for hobbyist here in America I'm going to use a projector so others can witness the beauty of our nightlife.
"Now that night flying is no longer prohibited for hobbyist here in America I'm going to use a projector so others can witness the beauty of our nightlife."

Where did u get that info from?

There is no longer FAA verbiage for hobbyists restricting hours of flight.
Your UAV is considered an "aircraft" by the feds. Thus any aircraft you put up in the National Airspace (NAS) is regulated by the FAA. There are Federal Air Regulations (FARs) governing night flying. Unless your aircraft complies with the regulations, you are in violation.
Federal Aviation Regulation Sec. 91.507 - Equipment requirements: Over-the-top or night VFR operations.

Federal Aviation Regulation Sec. 91.205 - Powered civil aircraft with standard category U.S. airworthiness certificates: Instrument and equipment requirements.

Our UAVs were not designed to navigate the NAS at night and do not meet FAA regulations. The only exceptions are UAV test beds, currently flown at night by large companies and universities, researching collision avoidance technology and in designated restricted areas where manned aircraft are not allowed. These are operated under FAA Certificates of Authorization, issued for specific testing purposes.Here's one example.

It's not my intention to tell you what you can or can't do. That's up to you. But it's important people who read these postings receive correct information and don't go getting into trouble and cause themselves unnecessary grief.

Reactions: The Editor
I've found that to be quite irritating too! :-(
So many people want to come up to me to ask me all about my Inspire and to ask what I'm doing (specifically) while I'm flying.
I finally decided to have a friend come with us (other than the VO), my friend is there just to answer people's questions and to keep them away from myself and my VO during our project.

It's not bad when we're way out in the country somewhere but if it's close to people or houses, they bombard us! Argh!
BTW, I don't get within 500 ft. of any other people, buildings or houses without prior written permission first (that aren't part of the crew) and it's hard to keep them from coming closer than 500 to us!
So, the best way so far is to have someone else there to keep people away.

That's what works for us.

Hope this helps.

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz