Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

How Large of a Photo can I print using Raw Setting with the X5?

Reaction score
I cant find the exact limit on how large of a print I can make with great quality and low noise from the X5.
Whats the largest size? Does anyone know?

Doesnt answer 16 MP RAW-it skips it
14.6 MP (4416 x 3312) 15x11
24.6 MP (6048 x 4032) 20x13

I made a print 4 ft. wide of a panorama image shot on the X3 cam. It was in total about 9,500 px wide, and it looks pretty good from a normal viewing distance. Obviously getting close to the image is going to reveal its flaws but overall it was pretty **** good.
Since the X5 blows the X3 out of the water for photo quality, I would say on a standard 4:3 aspect you could print about 20" wide and it would still look good from a normal viewing distance.
I have a new pano to print that is 21,000px wide, thinking of doing a 6 ft. wide print... If only framing it didn't cost a small fortune...

I made a print 4 ft. wide of a panorama image shot on the X3 cam. It was in total about 9,500 px wide, and it looks pretty good from a normal viewing distance. Obviously getting close to the image is going to reveal its flaws but overall it was pretty **** good.
Since the X5 blows the X3 out of the water for photo quality, I would say on a standard 4:3 aspect you could print about 20" wide and it would still look good from a normal viewing distance.
I have a new pano to print that is 21,000px wide, thinking of doing a 6 ft. wide print... If only framing it didn't cost a small fortune...

Thank you this is very helpful. Yeah due to the cost of printing I think a lot of people have refrained from ordering large prints.

Thank you this is very helpful. Yeah due to the cost of printing I think a lot of people have refrained from ordering large prints.
Yea up here it cost me about $60 to print the shot and about $300 to frame it. It was well worth it (gift to my mother) and she always gets compliments on it. In my opinion if it is an outstanding shot, it deserves to be viewed on a wall and not just on a computer screen.

Hummm. unyks provided some good info BUT.. It really depends on how well your large format printers handle files. We have Ebson10000, and a HPZ62000 which can print @ 72 (yes 72ppi @100%size) and looks perfect! Find a engineering firm or heck a graphics company that has a large format printer and have them print the file for you at a discount!

Reactions: gruvpix
Hummm. unyks provided some good info BUT.. It really depends on how well your large format printers handle files. We have Ebson10000, and a HPZ62000 which can print @ 72 (yes 72ppi @100%size) and looks perfect! Find a engineering firm or heck a graphics company that has a large format printer and have them print the file for you at a discount!
Very good point, I would bring the DNG/TIFF file to a print shop that does large format stuff and they will be very knowledgeable on resolutions and sizing for the given image.

I have had the same thoughts, about a big panorama photo. We have a photo print company that can print up to 120"x 40". (300 x 100 cm)
http://www.pixum.co.uk/poster-canvas#anchorPriceList

I know that a single photo from X5 will not be good enough. So I was thinking of take multiple pictures (maybe as much as 50 or more) and then stitching them together. I expect that with about 50 photos and with good overlap, I will have image file around 400 MB. I think it will only be possible, with perfect weather and a motiv with little movement. (nature ect.)

I have mentioned previously but I had a client use my RAWs to produce a 3mx3m display they had at an event day

There is no "exact limit" where it will go from "awesome" to "trash", it's progressive and depends on many things. The actual quality of the photo (in focus? motion blur?), the printing support and quality, who the target audience is, the way people will view the result, the quality of their eyes :rolleyes:, the content of the photo and what the viewer considers as "acceptable" (yep - you'll more easily see technical defects on an uninteresting photo than on one that makes you go "wow!", and if I show a large print made from a 2MP shot of their grandkids to my parents they'll find it great just as they always would for any photo of their grandkids, the technical quality becomes totally irrelevant, but then try to show it to a pro who has no ties with the subject... expectations differ greatly).

I have a shot that after cropping/treament comes up at 15MP, it's actually pretty blurry too, but it was blown up to cover the side of a 50ft trailer and looked awesome :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz