Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Australia G'Day from Australia

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd say hi in this thread from South of Sydney, did my CC(<20kg) and UOC through Total RPA in March this year, only got my UOC a bit over a month ago but the wait times are coming down now as they have employed more RPAS inspectors,

Brendan
Impact Aerials

Hi Brendan, the wait is about 4 months at present. I've got mine early March next year :)

Just read the entire thread, and note it's an all Australian get together here! So, by way of introduction: <20kg multi rotor CC, also commercial fixed wing pilot. Tassie based. Inspire 1. Self taught on a Blade MQX indoors, bouncing off walls and ceiling, scaring the kids...
Cheers!

Reactions: Airflix
Hi Brendan, the wait is about 4 months at present. I've got mine early March next year :)

That's what my inspector told me as well, they are churning through the backlog now. I waited since March :) Jan and the team are also making a bigger effort to communicate helpful info out to all the current UOC holders which is great. They must be starting to get I top of it.

Because I'm CASA certified, I got offered the possibility of flying for a local UOC holder here in Canberra, so had to upgrade to an Inspire 1 as the GoPro 4 Black on my P2 just wasn't going to cut it for what they want.
I'd planned to wait till an Inspire 2 before biting the Inspire bullet, but it was too good an opportunity.
So here I am in this forum after spending the last 12 months in the Phantom forum.

I'll be doing my UOC in January as well, and be able to fly for myself by then.

Looking forward to getting to know a whole new forum of people.

Cheers
Hi from Cranebrook (Western Sydney)
Just took possession of the new I1 pro with the X5.
Once it stops raining it'll get out for its maiden.
Have been flying now for over 10 years. Am a cert holder and working under a friends OC.
Not a fan of spending hours on forums. Rather be flying!!!
Hope to help here. Cheers from Aus.

Just submitted my Form 41 today so the clock starts. I'll be assessed for both multi-rotor and fixed wing. Jeez, if the wait is 4 months I'm going to be in Hawaii for the next 6 weeks. Hope I have enough time to practice and I'm having my manuals done by RPAS Australia so they are also going to do a practice session with me before the flight assessment.

Any other fixed wing flyers here? I'm putting together a FX79 mapper and a X8 as well.

Is it that much because of the distance from Brisbane to Perth and they have to travel to your locale to do the assessment? I have the same aircraft plus a fixed wing.

I'm told that you can make it cheaper by travelling to either Brisbane or Canberra so they can assess you locally without having to travel. Still a lot of money though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[QUOTE="Airflix, post: 70554, member: 25067]

Any other fixed wing flyers here? I'm putting together a FX79 mapper and a X8 as well.[/QUOTE]
Off topic...

I'm looking at building a flying wing platform, and was going to get the X8. What's your opinion of which is the better option between the two you're working on?

I just received my assessment which is $4900 with only $290 in travel expense. Do they charge and assess you for every airframe you've applied for.....for instance I put an P3P, Inspire 1 and FX79 on my application.

[QUOTE="Airflix, post: 70554, member: 25067]

Any other fixed wing flyers here? I'm putting together a FX79 mapper and a X8 as well.
Off topic...

I'm looking at building a flying wing platform, and was going to get the X8. What's your opinion of which is the better option between the two you're working on?[/QUOTE]

They are both good wings, and the X8 is what everyone has. I wanted to be different.

I have a spare black 2015 new model X8 for sale if you're interested.

Just a quick update: I spoke to the Administration Officer for my application and they said that any unused hours would be refunded. Has this been the case for anyone here? I've been quoted $160 for 29 hours an asked for a breakdown of what those hours comprised of.

Can anyone share what their assessment was like? Here's a quick snippet of what was said:

The Estimate also covers the anticipated hours of assessment for administration, review and advice on the manuals you have submitted, flight test and interviews.

Just FYI I got a call from CASA last week and they have brought my date forward to December! They must have hired some new inspectors maybe? The guy was really helpful. Just bare in mind you have to find a suitable location yourself, which isn't easy in Perth. I had to use private property as all the parks round my way are no fly zones according to the shire.
There's a 40min flight test followed by a long interview. He told me allow for 4 1/2 hours in total!

Just FYI I got a call from CASA last week and they have brought my date forward to December! They must have hired some new inspectors maybe? The guy was really helpful. Just bare in mind you have to find a suitable location yourself, which isn't easy in Perth. I had to use private property as all the parks round my way are no fly zones according to the shire.
There's a 40min flight test followed by a long interview. He told me allow for 4 1/2 hours in total!
Best of luck with the test! I for one will be super keen to hear how it went, and what was involved.

Reactions: Lofty Visions

How many hours were you quoted and did they say they would refund the difference?

Glad to hear you were bumped up. I've paid my assessment and need to have my fixed wing put together or rent one for my flight test.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz