Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Assembling my X5 after dropping

Reaction score
hi guys, I have dropped my x5 a couple of times from a very low height. My gimbal yaw was bent, so I opened the top and saw that I had a crack in the housing that holds the main yaw shaft. I see this is a common problem.

i didn't take enough notes on disassembly (i was in a hurry, i have a job to shoot with this in a few days, and its holidays here at the moment, nothing open).
i know the order of all the washers, tabs and nut. but i only read the nut is magnet and needs to be positioned correctly. i assembled and and the yay shakes when I turn the craft on.

can anyone help? also, is it correct the circuit board sits this angle- i didnt note this when i pulled it apart. the ribbons only really let it sit this way. see last pic

any help would be really appreciated.

cheers paul

Attachments

• IMG_8117.JPG
    IMG_8117.JPG
    498.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_8118-1.JPG
    IMG_8118-1.JPG
    437.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_8120.JPG
    IMG_8120.JPG
    271.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Hi Paul,

Sorry to read about the crack and props to you for taking it apart and finding the issue.
BTW I believe non-oem yaw arms are available to allow a self-replacement now.
I can't help with the nut issue - I think that horse may have bolted as from what I've read, the shaft/nut would require indexing before disassembly.

I can help with regard to the PCB however - I'm 99% sure you've put it in upside-down. I've disassembled the X3 and X5R gimbals and in both cases, the gimbal controller PCBs have the ribbon connectors on the top-side: the ribbons come up the side of the case, over the top of the connectors and then bend through 180 to go into the connectors.

IMG_2762.JPG

As you've already worked out, the cable connectors have a black tab. Lift to release the cable. Press down to hold it. The ribbon cables tend to have a white line on them to identify how far they need inserting.

Hope that helps!
Darren

Hi Paul,

Sorry to read about the crack and props to you for taking it apart and finding the issue.
BTW I believe non-oem yaw arms are available to allow a self-replacement now.
I can't help with the nut issue - I think that horse may have bolted as from what I've read, the shaft/nut would require indexing before disassembly.

I can help with regard to the PCB however - I'm 99% sure you've put it in upside-down. I've disassembled the X3 and X5R gimbals and in both cases, the gimbal controller PCBs have the ribbon connectors on the top-side: the ribbons come up the side of the case, over the top of the connectors and then bend through 180 to go into the connectors.

View attachment 11461

As you've already worked out, the cable connectors have a black tab. Lift to release the cable. Press down to hold it. The ribbon cables tend to have a white line on them to identify how far they need inserting.

Hope that helps!
Darren

hi darren, thanks for this. My gimbal was doing odd things, and not it doesn't do anything at all. i opened up when you posted this to have a look and the ribbon is ripped (maybe caught on the rotation stopping tab). It didnt seem to have enough ribbon to move the other way however.

so ive really stuffed it. luckily I have found a used x5 which I will buy, and I will send this off to get fixed. I was going to send it to these guys- http://www.usdronerepair.com , has anyone used these guys. they are fast to answer my questions and can tig weld the cracks. There are no shops open for DJI service in New Zealand at the moment so I cant ask if they have the DJI spare.

paul

Ah nuts. That's bad luck. Probably the best course of action. At least you'll have peace of mind getting it fixed.

I've spoken to USDroneRepairs a few times - Jeremy is a thoroughly nice guy and fixes a lot of DJI kit. Being in the UK I've not used the, myself but he is helpful and clearly has a passion for his work. The company have a facebook page here 需要安全验证 which might help with a bit of background. I know he's done an X5 before

Best of luck with it

I am going through the same type of problem. I discovered that what happened to yours is problematic because of the thin metal. I found a company (fstop-labs.com) that make CNC assemblies from aluminum. Much stronger.

Anyone help. I was releasing a small bungee cord when it slipped out of my fingers and hit the skin on the side of the copter (cord went from table over top of motor boom, under the belly,gimbal was attached, over the other motor boom and down to the anchor point). There was no indication of an impact anywhere.
Ribbon wires under nose have been checked for continuity. Only warning is no signal. The inspire will fly, the simulator works. The fan on the lightbridge works, the fan on the camera works.Camera flashes green lights and then a quick red, but will not dance. The red light flashes when the card is removed. IMU was calibrated (can not find where to calibrate the gimbal). Any ideas?

hi darren, thanks for this. My gimbal was doing odd things, and not it doesn't do anything at all. i opened up when you posted this to have a look and the ribbon is ripped (maybe caught on the rotation stopping tab). It didnt seem to have enough ribbon to move the other way however.

so ive really stuffed it. luckily I have found a used x5 which I will buy, and I will send this off to get fixed. I was going to send it to these guys- USDRONEREPAIR , has anyone used these guys. they are fast to answer my questions and can tig weld the cracks. There are no shops open for DJI service in New Zealand at the moment so I cant ask if they have the DJI spare.

paul

Did you ever go this route?
I am looking at doing this repair with them and was just curious.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz