Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Did I just get scammed on eBay? Can you help repair an X5?

Reaction score
I bought an X5 and the seller seemed legit with a 300 star rating. He described it having been tested with no problems and in good condition.

I open up the box and it wont roll throughout its full roll axis. There is some epoxy stuff on the screw, as well as some scratches on the plate. This, coupled with the fact that it makes a strange clicking noise, leaves me to believe that there is definitely an issue and he wasn't being honest. To make matters worse, the transaction got weird when he refunded me my money asking me to pay again due to some mix up with his PayPal accounts and the fact that one of them had maxed out or something. This was after he had shipped the camera, though, and he provided photos of the package at the FedEx store as well as the computer screen itself, showing that it was on its way from his address to mine. Of course I was skeptical, but he provided screen shots and photos of everything. Apparently he is using his mother's PayPal or something, and he is a 19 year old kid. His address is a pretty nice home near Washington DC, and its the same address on everything. I (stupidly) have him the benefit of the doubt (he did have a 300 star rating on eBay), and the camera shows up like he said it would - but it has the screwed up gimbal. Of course he listed as no returns, and when I select "return item" it says I need to contact seller. When I try to get a refund, it says it was already refunded (and technically it was the first time around - though I did pay again through eBay, so I am not sure what is going on). He could be some pro who has figured out how to scam people like this while still retaining a good eBay score, or maybe he is just a dumb kid with rich parents who didn't provide him a good moral compass. I am 24 and I have bought and sold online for many years, starting with guitars and amps in high school. I used to send money orders with zero protection and never had a single problem. I developed a pretty good eye for scams and I avoided bad deals. Now I try to use a service that apparently provides protection and give someone the benefit of the doubt and I feel like a total chump. There goes $1000.

Anyways, I have contacted the seller, and he says he tested it and that he is surprised. I get the really bad feeling in my gut that this is going to end up with me getting screwed, so I decided to search here to see if someone might be able to repair the gimbal. It might mean the entire roll axis motor needs to be replaced, or it might be more simple than that - I don't know. This is really disappointing because I run an aerial photography business and this puts a halt on things for sure, right when my bank account is hurting. Thanks for any and all advice or help.

23472463_10208396596870983_7414432560749541890_n.jpg

You can open a case if he decides not to refund. It takes some time going round and round, but it should work in your favor in the long run.

I had something similar to this happen to me, but fortunately it was something much cheaper, and I just had to ship the defective product back for a full refund. (Refunded as soon as I added the tracking number when shipping it back)

Good luck!

Item not as described. Ebay buyer protection will make refund even if seller won't. Open a case with ebay. I have done it many times and always won.

Update: I have opened a resolution case with PayPal that has been elevated to Claim status. Fingers crossed - hopefully this gets resolved ASAP. Moral of the story: always explicitly ask if an item has any previous damage or has undergone any repairs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbair