Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

X5 Test Footage - Nite shots, Columbus, Ohio

Not that far...I just got the craft configured earlier in the day...did a couple test flights during the day, but maybe 1,000 feet away at the most. I shot 4k 30fps...standard setting...probably should have been at landscape...color mode none. ISO 800 - f4. I wasn't white balanced properly. Not really sure if my focus calibration was done right...but given all that, I am pleased with the footage and am convinced it can be better...I do see much more quality with this camera compared to the X3, which is what I was praying for. The flying/shooting was just so-so...I really wanted to just get something shot at night to evaluate. I've tried like crazy to get good night footage with the GoPro and X3...never got anything close to OK.

Reactions: Cruncher and ADSSER
Just got my X5 yesterday. I did some very quick night shooting...just a few passes to assess overall quality...I'm really pleased. Obviously, I need to get really familiar with the camera, but at first glance, I couldn't be happier.

Looking good
Thanks for sharing

what were your settings for the 2nd night/evening video? How did you get the flickering to go away which was present in the first?

what were your settings for the 2nd night/evening video? How did you get the flickering to go away which was present in the first?

I think the main difference was that I edited the first nite in Premier CC on a very small laptop...couldn't see very well and I was trying to raise video levels a bit, using a couple different effects, this may have contributed...I did not see any flickering on the raw footage.

The second night footage...my setting was on Landscape (vs standard), but I brought the footage in directly into Avid with broadcast monitor...did very little to effect the video...saw no flickering.

With the X3...bringing footage into AVID was hell...lots of artifacts, flickering...not getting any of this with the X5...yes!

Having said all this, on the second night, I had an older asian gentleman talking to me in broken Chinese while I was flying...and I was totally distracted...he was a nice guy, but my attempt to be empirical in comparing the 2 nights shooting was less than it should have been. I was still at 800 iso - f4 (ish).

All I can say is that I see a huge difference between the 2 cameras...I'm still not sure about the lens calibration thing...have questions out there on threads. I know I can make the X5 look better, but am more than pleased with what I'm seeing.

Just had a thought...I know the flickering has to be something I did in post...I am using the first nite shots in this second video...there is no flickering that I can see with these same shots that were flickering in the first video I edited.

Last edited:
I think the main difference was that I edited the first nite in Premier CC on a very small laptop...couldn't see very well and I was trying to raise video levels a bit, using a couple different effects, this may have contributed...I did not see any flickering on the raw footage.

The second night footage...my setting was on Landscape (vs standard), but I brought the footage in directly into Avid with broadcast monitor...did very little to effect the video...saw no flickering.

With the X3...bringing footage into AVID was hell...lots of artifacts, flickering...not getting any of this with the X5...yes!

Having said all this, on the second night, I had an older asian gentleman talking to me in broken Chinese while I was flying...and I was totally distracted...he was a nice guy, but my attempt to be empirical in comparing the 2 nights shooting was less than it should have been. I was still at 800 iso - f4 (ish).

All I can say is that I see a huge difference between the 2 cameras...I'm still not sure about the lens calibration thing...have questions out there on threads. I know I can make the X5 look better, but am more than pleased with what I'm seeing.

Just had a thought...I know the flickering has to be something I did in post...I am using the first nite shots in this second video...there is no flickering that I can see with these same shots that were flickering in the first video I edited.

Question: I think you may be alluding to this, but do you find the X5 footage plays nicer with Avid than the X3?

Question: I think you may be alluding to this, but do you find the X5 footage plays nicer with Avid than the X3?

Sorry...working too many hours...yes, the X5 footage plays much nicer in AVID than the X3...I link to it AMA...transcode and it looks great...I'm still just figuring the X5 out.

Reactions: gruvpix
Thank you...just getting up to speed on this camera, but I am very pleased with the overall quality.

Columbus never looked so good.

Thanks...we never looked so good until next Saturday night...when the Golden Gophers of Minnesota come into the Shoe and turn our season upside down because we had a little problem with our starting quarterback...aaauuugghhh!

I know I'm in Cleveland. the kid from Cleveland will do ok, if they tilt his helmet back so he could see.
That X5 looks good but a little pricey for me.

I know I'm in Cleveland. the kid from Cleveland will do ok, if they tilt his helmet back so he could see.
That X5 looks good but a little pricey for me.

He did fine the last 3 games of last season...keep our fingers crossed.

As far as the X5 price goes, I think it just depends on what your intended use is...I do coporate video, some broadcast...the X3 was driving me crazy with all kinds of issues. I had to struggle in post to get it to look halfway acceptable. With the X5, if I shoot correctly, the footage looks great...I don't need to do much at all with it in post, so the cost is more than worth it to me...no more blotchy turf, aliasing horizontal lines, etc. It's just solid and nice.

But my threshold has been reached with the coming of the X5R. I'm convinced that this will be great quality, but for my application, I can't justify hanging a $6 camera on my Inspire...if only I had cash to burn. Well, there is the Ohio Lottery...yea, that's it.

Go Bucks!

Reactions: STClassic01

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz