Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

X5 + Olympus 14-42 video jello on 42mm

Reaction score
Hi.

I tried my new lens on video mode, but it had jello on it, i have offical balancing ring, but still it makes some jello.

Anyideas?

Lens calibration - check
Newest firmware - check
Balancing ring - check

Jello at 14mm or 42mm? Any long lens is going to be delicate, and airframe balance is important. Mine is pretty solid.

The balancing ring alone is not enough probably. Add counter weights and filters until the gimbal can balance perfectly while not powered on, i.e. if you push the camera in any direction while powered off it should remain in that position or very close to it when you let go.

Reactions: ringolong
The balancing ring alone is not enough probably. Add counter weights and filters until the gimbal can balance perfectly while not powered on, i.e. if you push the camera in any direction while powered off it should remain in that position or very close to it when you let go.

Well, this is impossible on the 14-42. The balancing ring gets you fairly close, but if you balance it for the 42mm position, it'll be way out at 12mm, same for the opposite.

It's uploading it now, should be online in few minutes.

Should i go on 45mm Olympus lens, because i need just for video from bigger distance?

I'm not really seeing Jello. Its got some twitch from being at a longer focal length. The 45 is really not recommended for video.

Here's two clips of mine, straight from camera, just testing them;

14-42

45mm. You can see some of the twitchiness here. It's balanced and there's no jello, but its not as smooth as a wider lens.

Last edited:
If you are using the 14-42mm just to run it at maximum focal length then you might as well just get the 45mm prime. Also I believe there is some washer that fits perfectly in-front of the lens element from lowes for balancing. If you plan on running the range of 14-42, of course balanced it while at approximately mid zoom.

Also as seanmclean mentioned "twitchiness", that can be helped by reducing your gimbal rates. For us the 25mm is still a handful for getting buttery smooth footage, so we never went above that. Good luck.

If you are using the 14-42mm just to run it at maximum focal length then you might as well just get the 45mm prime. Also I believe there is some washer that fits perfectly in-front of the lens element from lowes for balancing. If you plan on running the range of 14-42, of course balanced it while at approximately mid zoom.

Also as seanmclean mentioned "twitchiness", that can be helped by reducing your gimbal rates. For us the 25mm is still a handful for getting buttery smooth footage, so we never went above that. Good luck.

Agree. If you're only using it zoomed in all the time, the 45mm is a better option (and is a much better lens). I use the 14-42 primarily for inspections. Great for stuff like this:

Greetings. Are those of you using the Olympus 14-42 using the Apple or the Android DGI GO app? I'm wondering if the Android app has zoom functionality on the fly as you demonstrated in your videos above and if so, how do you adjust it?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz