Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

X5 Gimbal Calibration Question.

Reaction score
Is there a way to physically calibrate the gimbals without taping pennies to it? I have a X5 that sags to the right on roll axis. If I counter balance it with a penny taped on, its fine. However, I was wondering if there was a way to physically adjust the gimbal so its weighted correct via the app.

I know you can do the in-app adjustment, but that just overrides the weight imbalance and lets you do a +/_ .02 roll. I have to do this every single time I power up the inspire.

With the penny, everything is in balance. I just dont like the thought of a piece of tape coming off mid flight and getting into my props... sounds risky.

Thoughts?

No there is no physical adjustment, the pivot points of the gimbal and the camera locating position are all fixed.

The roll axis should theoretically remain balanced hence just the small tweaking available in the app. Any balancing coin for pitch needs to be centred on the roll axis otherwise it will lead to the problem you describe - could this be the cause?

Depending on the lens I can sometimes achieve pitch balance with a combination of Balance Ring / ND Filter / Sun Hood, but some set-ups still require a 5p (UK) coin balancing. It's stuck to the back of the camera, dead centre. It's all rather fiddly but I have a list of the set up required for each lens. I use a new, small double-sided sticky pad each time which I make from car number-plate sticky pads.

Reactions: Roconnor
Thanks Simon. That's what I thought was the case. I have a penny on the pitch axis that now has my roll fairly balanced.

One other question while on the topic, I notice when I make a turn/bank the horizon takes a good 10-15 seconds to level back out. Is that normal?

No,that’s not normal,mine will correct horizon within 1 or 2 seconds at most.
I presume you have calibrated the gimbal on a flat level service?

Thanks Simon. That's what I thought was the case. I have a penny on the pitch axis that now has my roll fairly balanced.

One other question while on the topic, I notice when I make a turn/bank the horizon takes a good 10-15 seconds to level back out. Is that normal?
No mine also corrects quickly.

Something not quite right if you're having to use a balance weight to correct the roll. As suggested I would try re-calibrating with your aircraft dead level (use a spirit level and shims if necessary) and with just the lens attached - no weights, filters, hoods, etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz