Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

X5 compatible lenses - updated list

I bought and tried the 35-100mm Panasonic lens (135gr) on X5. Does NOT work: Image looks sharp, but distorted, like fisheye. In all focal lengths. Really weird. I tried same lens on GH4 camera. It worked fine. Any idea what's wrong???

We've been looking for a definitive list of compatible lenses for the X5. There seem to be various incomplete lists around the web but the original post on this thread is gone (anyone screen grab it?), this one is locked and DJI's list is out of date now. So have started to pull together info from some different threads to make a fresh up to date list. If there are any errors in the details please make note. Will try to keep the first post updated as people add more info.

Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm/F3.5
156g
?

Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 12mm F2.0
130g
Good all round wide angle
Requires 46mm balance ring or filter to balance

Panasonic Lumix G Vario 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH
70g
?

Panasonic LUMIX G 14mm f/2.5 ASPH II
51g
?

Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II ASPH. MEGA O.I.S.
108g
OIS does not function with X5
?

DJI MFT 15mm F1.7 ASPH
115g
Standard lens with X5

Panasonic Lumix G 15mm F/1.7 ASPH
115g
?

Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 17mm F/1.8
117g

Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 17mm F/2.8
72g
?

Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 25mm F1.8
136g

Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F/1.7 ASPH
136g
?

Panasonic LUMIX G 42.5mm f/1.7 ASPH. POWER O.I.S.
133g
OIS does not function on X5

Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 45mm F1.8
116g
Requires 37mm stepdown/balance ring or filter to balance
Some reports of jello or vibration issues

Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ
91g
Officially supported zoom
Can be tricky to balance and produce smooth footage at top end and in any wind.

Panasonic LUMIX G VARIO 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH
135g
Confirmed compatible but major issues when balancing.

More lenses tbc.
Are you sure 35-100 is working? Mine does not work. All others are working (ok with 12mm, 15mm, 9-18mm, 25mm, 45mm)

Now I can confirm that the Panasonic 25mm F1.7 dosen't work either. So please update the list on what lenses that work.

Again same problem. Video works but DNG dosen't

kind regards // Alex

It is odd. I flew the 42.5 and it worked fine and I flew it again and everything was distorted or corrupted. I'm not sure how DJI SW deals with lenses, but all the lenses in this weight range work on the Yuneec H920/CGO4 though some need to be balanced for video like the 12-32 which is very light.

It is odd. I flew the 42.5 and it worked fine and I flew it again and everything was distorted or corrupted. I'm not sure how DJI SW deals with lenses, but all the lenses in this weight range work on the Yuneec H920/CGO4 though some need to be balanced for video like the 12-32 which is very light.

Yes it is a minor software bug, since it works in RAW terapee converter so it could be an Adobe bug. I have contacted Adobe and their on it. It's so sad that all the great Panasonic lenses won't work...

Last edited:
I've tested all of the lenses on this list and a bunch not on it. Body cap lenses are far too light period. The Oly 9-18 unfortunately was too heavy, the non pancake 14-42s were also. The Pani 15mm is the DJI lens without any change but the engraving, the 20mm was too large in diameter, the 30mm macro was too heavy, the 42.5 f1.2 is arguable the best MFT lens made but is way too heavy though I love it on my GH4, the 42.5mm f1.7 is not far behind it and is arguably the best lens for the X5, the 45mm is way too heavy, the 25mm had the IOS slider interfere with the gimble, and the 35-100mm was also too heavy and unable to apply a balance that would solve the difference in balance required during different levels of zoom. I also tested with success the three Sigma lenses however not long after I upgraded to the 11-24 firmware I found the Sigma lenses would produce a heavily distorted image in the go app. I assumed DJI had prevented their use for reasons unknown. That may have changed as I have'nt retried. I will say I was very pleased with the results from them though the 60mm will eventually overheat the gimmble motors as it is actually too heavy. I am almost finished with the testing to add an 85mm or 170mm for our use. So far it's proving to be a great opertunity for those wishing to have the use of a telephoto lens though it is a manual focus solution. I'm still using the 1.4 firmware so I can't wait to see what others can do when digital zoom is applied to this combination.

Hi Chnjab, how did you go with testing the 85mm and 170mm lenses mentioned above. I am looking for a higher telephoto than my 45mm Oly. Thank you.

We've been looking for a definitive list of compatible lenses for the X5. There seem to be various incomplete lists around the web but the original post on this thread is gone (anyone screen grab it?), this one is locked and DJI's list is out of date now. So have started to pull together info from some different threads to make a fresh up to date list. If there are any errors in the details please make note. Will try to keep the first post updated as people add more info.

Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm/F3.5
156g
?

Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 12mm F2.0
130g
Good all round wide angle

Panasonic Lumix G Vario 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH
70g
?

Panasonic LUMIX G 14mm f/2.5 ASPH II
51g
?

Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II ASPH. MEGA O.I.S.
108g
OIS does not function with X5
?

DJI MFT 15mm F1.7 ASPH
115g
Standard lens with X5

Panasonic Lumix G 15mm F/1.7 ASPH
115g
?

Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 17mm F/1.8
117g

Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 17mm F/2.8
72g
?

Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 25mm F1.8
136g

Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F/1.7 ASPH
136g
?

Panasonic LUMIX G 42.5mm f/1.7 ASPH. POWER O.I.S.
133g
OIS does not function on X5

Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 45mm F1.8
116g
Some reports of jello or vibration issues

Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ
91g
Officially supported zoom
Can be tricky to balance and produce smooth footage at top end and in any wind.

Panasonic LUMIX G VARIO 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH
135g
Confirmed compatible but major issues when balancing.

More lenses tbc.

I purchased this :
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II ASPH.

But the manual focus ring was rubbing against the gimble and I did not want to customize anthing to make it fit. 20170501_092005.jpg 20170501_092436.jpg 20170501_092408.jpg

Please FlyingPhotosKR, I don't understand.
You wrote: I purchased this : Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II ASPH. But the manual focus ring was rubbing against the gimble and I did not want to customize anthing to make it fit.
But on the pictures you attached I see a Olympus pancake lens no a Panasonic Lumix as you wrote.
I desire to know if the Panasonic is better than Olympus. Please share your experience.
Many thanks in advance.

Please FlyingPhotosKR, I don't understand.
You wrote: I purchased this : Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II ASPH. But the manual focus ring was rubbing against the gimble and I did not want to customize anthing to make it fit.
But on the pictures you attached I see a Olympus pancake lens no a Panasonic Lumix as you wrote.
I desire to know if the Panasonic is better than Olympus. Please share your experience.
Many thanks in advance.

Crap ya!
I meant the Olympus 14-42mm not the Panasonic lens. Too late for me to be typing here.

Hi, guys! What about Venus Laowa 7.5mm F2.0, Light version, made especially for drones? I think it's widest lens for X5.

I have the 35-100mm Panasonic lens, it still works on my Inspire with x5, however other people in my company that have upgraded to the latest firmware have found that the lens does not work anymore, and even the 14-42mm is not always detecting properly, seems to be directly related to the firmware update. The problem with this is that we use the 100mm setting for looking between transmission towers, at great distances, and even the 45mm doesn't really cut the mustard for this work, we don't want to have to upgrade to matrices just for this work, has anyone found a way to make the lenses work since the latest firmware.

The other side of this question would be can we downgrade back to older firmware, I know it is no problem for the airframe as it is a file on an SD card, but since the controller update is OTA, I am not sure how we could go backwards, as I would assume new firmware controller and old firmware airframe are not going to be a happy couple. Any help would be appreciated, this has been a very "Apple" move by DJI

Downgrade is easy for RC and aircraft, but not from 1.11 firmware. The best versions are 1.6.0 for RC and 1.9.1.30 for aircraft

Hi, guys! What about Venus Laowa 7.5mm F2.0, Light version, made especially for drones? I think it's widest lens for X5.
its a great lens!
its just too bad you can't control the aperture from the app. but the quality of the image is GREAT

Reactions: Ustas69
its a great lens!
its just too bad you can't control the aperture from the app. but the quality of the image is GREAT

I'd call it great if it were fully automatic and chipped to couple to the camera right, aside from the strong vignetting wide open and focusing issues with their quality control.

I got two bum units where the infinity mark was off and the focus ring would not turn as far for distant objects. I had to shim back the rear element as another described in the dpreview.com forum to focus at infinity (Here: Re: DIY Focus Calibration Fix for Laowa 7.5mm f/2.0 that Doesn't Reach Infinity Focus: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review ). Fwiw, my shim turned out to be 0.73" ID, 0.95" OD, with four 1/16" holes for the screws at 90 degrees. B&H Photo also has a couple in their Questions Asked/Answered area about bad copies too. I shimmed mine about 0.003" thickness and now it focuses at infinity and the infinity mark on the lens lines up correctly, but the distance scale is off (Not that it matters as you focus it manually and it has an extreme depth of focus anyway.).

Being unchipped, check your still images while still in GO 4 flying as the exposure may be several stops off from what you see on the screen. Been there and it's an annoyance if not checked immediately. Video seems more likely to be correct, ime.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbair