Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

UK UK Night Flying

Reaction score
Hi I'm looking to get night flight permissions.

I've built in the requirements to my operations manual, however I'm wondering the practicalities of using extra night time LED's.. will this not effect my camera vision red glare. etc.

What do you do?

Attachments

• night flight.JPG
    night flight.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 244

I've built in the requirements to my operations manual, however I'm wondering the practicalities of using extra night time LED's.. will this not effect my camera vision red glare. etc.

What do you do?
Hi, you will/should be fine with the existing Inspire LEDs since you will still be flying within the confines of 166/7 and therefore <=500m VLOS.
You can give this a try yourself - standard permissions allow for flight before sunset (dusk) so if you take a flight in the evening and take the Inspire out you will be surprised how far you can still see the Red/Green LEDs (certainly a lot further than by daylight).
The red glare you talk about is certainly a problem on the Phantom platform which is why there is an option to turn the front LEDs off. It is not an issue on the Inspire as the retractable landing gear moves them sufficiently away from the FOV.

CAP393 UK In paragraph (5) ‘day’ means the time from half an hour before sunrise until half an hour after sunset (both times exclusive), sunset and sunrise being determined at surface level.
I think that this also applies to UAV flights. Please excuse me if that is not right.

CAP393 UK In paragraph (5) ‘day’ means the time from half an hour before sunrise until half an hour after sunset (both times exclusive), sunset and sunrise being determined at surface level.
I think that this also applies to UAV flights. Please excuse me if that is not right.

Cheers - Exactly the reason I want the night flight permissions for fireworks or a night time city shot.

Good Spot. :p

Reactions: Mactab

What do you do?

I can second what the Editor said.
I have a PFAW that allows me to fly at night and having used the Inspire multiple times at night i can confirm the LEDs on the landing gear do not cause glare in your image.

Thick question, how did you get your permissions for night time flying? Did you have to take an additional flight assessment?

Thick question, how did you get your permissions for night time flying? Did you have to take an additional flight assessment?
Hi Simon,
I can confirm that you do NOT have to do a flight assessment to demonstrate flying at night. You only have to write in a safety case for flying at night into your operations manual.
With regards to Dopytree's comment, I can only imagine that perhaps that is only necessary when getting your qualification through Resource.

Yes its an extra £500 assessment + you have to add in the appropriate procedures into your operations manual.
I think you have been shafted there!
Why have they charged you an extra £500 for something that can be submitted within your normal ops manual and accepted by the CAA?
I thought EuroUSC were the only horse rustlers in town!

I think you have been shafted there!
Why have they charged you an extra £500 for something that can be submitted within your normal ops manual and accepted by the CAA?
I though EuroUSC were the only horse rustlers in town!
Not even EuroUSC have the cheek to ask for extra £££ for a night flight assessment :eek:

Before you buy any extra batteries remember and run it past the Resource Group or Euro USC as they have a "special" course for that!!

Treat people the way you wish to be treated and generally they will respond in kind is how i do business.

When will the Training Providers realise by pulling a "fast" one always backfires once their students inevitably find out. Not really cricket is it!!

Reputations years to make and seconds to lose.

What do you do?
Hi there, does the use of an illuminated take off/landing site and the provision for a spotter have to be worded in a certain way in the ops manual? I have experience flying at night but have never done so on a commercial job.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz