Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Side-by-side comparison of four Olympus M.ZUIKO lenses

Reaction score
Courtesy of the good follks at B&H:

Olympus M.ZUIKO Prime Lens Comparison

The first two (12mm and 17mm) are already supported by DJI. The next two (25mm and 45mm) are close enough in size and weight that one would expect them to be supported shortly.

The weights (130g, 120g, 136g, and 116g) are close enough that they could be considered effectively equivalent.

The main difference is the height and width. I have the 12mm, 17mm, and 45mm lenses right now. The 12mm and 45mm are of a similar height, while the 17mm is shorter and more rotund.

Remember that these focal lengths are specific to the MFT sensor and 2.0x crop factor. To get a 35mm/full frame equivalent, you multiply the focal lengths by 2. So these are 24mm, 34mm, 50mm, and 90mm equivalents.

At any rate, it looks like we will have a lot of lenses to choose from shortly.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
And here are three of those lenses, along with the Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 zoom:

[GALLERY=media, 88]MFT Lenses by InterMurph posted Sep 21, 2015 at 3:57 PM[/GALLERY]

From left to right:
As you can see, the prime lenses are all about the same size, while the 12-35mm zoom is relatively enormous. It weighs 305g, almost as much as the other three combined. And worse, when zoomed out it is more than twice as tall. I don't think that we should ever expect to fly this lens on the Inspire 1.

And here are three of those lenses, along with the Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 zoom:

[GALLERY=media, 88]MFT Lenses by InterMurph posted Sep 21, 2015 at 3:57 PM[/GALLERY]

From left to right:
As you can see, the prime lenses are all about the same size, while the 12-35mm zoom is relatively enormous. It weighs 305g, almost as much as the other three combined. And worse, when zoomed out it is more than twice as tall. I don't think that we should ever expect to fly this lens on the Inspire 1.
The inspire can handle the extra weight of the zoom..
I use a strobe with external battery that weighs 3/4 lb..
flight times and top speed is reduced, but I still get plenty of flight time..
The only drawback i see is the cost and clearance..lol..
Hopefully the gimble can handle the weight...

Last edited:
The weight is not the only consideration: the balance on the gimbal is probably even more important. Even when fully retracted, the zoom lens has a center of balance much farther away from the mount than the other three.

But even if the gimbal could balance that, what does it do when you extend the lens to its full length? That changes the balance, and again I doubt this gimbal will be able to handle it.

I'm not advocating the zoom lens; the primes are more than good enough for me. I just wanted to share this photo with the people who would prefer a zoom lens.

Reactions: Rainbowers
The weight is not the only consideration: the balance on the gimbal is probably even more important. Even when fully retracted, the zoom lens has a center of balance much farther away from the mount than the other three.

But even if the gimbal could balance that, what does it do when you extend the lens to its full length? That changes the balance, and again I doubt this gimbal will be able to handle it.

I'm not advocating the zoom lens; the primes are more than good enough for me. I just wanted to share this photo with the people who would prefer a zoom lens.
Thanks for the info..
when there's a will there's a way..lol..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz