Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

USA Opportunity for a paid gig but has a possible issue.....

Reaction score
I have been asked to shoot a grand opening for a local business downtown. I am a holder of a Part 107 certification and possess all required authorizations with attached Daytime Operations waiver. My target building is half free of any restricted flight obstacles but the other half falls within a boundary which belongs to a county jail (Detention Center). This boundary is represented only on the Airmap app but not on the DJIGo4 and not a shown as a restricted flight zone. The county jail is roughly 5 blocks away from my target building's grand opening. I plan on contacting the county jail and any other entity it takes to get this job done and be completely legal in the process. I was thinking that I would treat the jailhouse boundary as I would a hospital heliport and follow that procedure.

Have any of you faced a similar issue like this and what advice can you offer so I can complete this task?

Reactions: djkelly57
I have been asked to shoot a grand opening for a local business downtown. I am a holder of a Part 107 certification and possess all required authorizations with attached Daytime Operations waiver. My target building is half free of any restricted flight obstacles but the other half falls within a boundary which belongs to a county jail (Detention Center). This boundary is represented only on the Airmap app but not on the DJIGo4 and not a shown as a restricted flight zone. The county jail is roughly 5 blocks away from my target building's grand opening. I plan on contacting the county jail and any other entity it takes to get this job done and be completely legal in the process. I was thinking that I would treat the jailhouse boundary as I would a hospital heliport and follow that procedure.

Have any of you faced a similar issue like this and what advice can you offer so I can complete this task?
Moved to certified pilots section and 'USA added as prefix

"I plan on contacting the county jail and any other entity it takes to get this job done and be completely legal in the process."

Did you place a phone call to your local Fish and Wildlife? Could be Blue Jays, Red Birds, Blue Herrings, Pigeons, Rails, Loggerhead Shrike, Easter Glass Lizard, Least Bittern (just a few) Endangered Species around nesting! Not to mention the Endangered Honey Bee you might be chopping up and slinging around on people.

Just a suggestion...

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Did you place a phone call to your local [B said:
Fish and Wildlife[/B]? Could be Blue Jays, Red Birds, Blue Herrings, Pigeons, Rails, Loggerhead Shrike, Easter Glass Lizard, Least Bittern (just a few) Endangered Species around nesting! Not to mention the Endangered Honey Bee you might be chopping up and slinging around on people.

Just a suggestion...

Thanks for your reply but to answer, I'd call whoever it takes to get the job approved so I can provide the requested media for my clients. My statement of contacting the county jail was not for permission to fly, as they can't give that permission unless any state or local ordinances comes into play, but it was just a common courtesy informing them of the flight to shoot images for the grand opening and not for any nefarious reasons.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply but to answer, I'd call whoever it takes to get the job approved so I can provide the requested media for my clients. My statement of contacting the county jail was not for permission to fly, as they can't give that permission unless any state or local ordinances comes into play, but it was just a common courtesy informing them of the flight to shoot images for the grand opening and not for any nefarious reasons.

Calling the detention facility is proper and professional. We(retired cop) want to know in advance rather than call out some alert for nothing.
I salute you for your professionalism. Not enough of that around. :rolleyes:

Technically, in an unrestricted zone you are good to go. But flying above people is restricted. That doesn't make a lot of sense because If I were flying at 400ft I see landscape and no people. If I were to call my township/Sheriff/Police Dept, they wouldn't give a xxxx. OR they may be utterly confused why I asked. Or they may be so confused about what a drone does that they'd deny flight. It's still a new world of tech to many rural areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technically, in an unrestricted zone you are good to go. But flying above people is restricted. That doesn't make a lot of sense because If I were flying at 400ft I see landscape and no people. If I were to call my township/Sheriff/Police Dept, they wouldn't give a xxxx. OR they may be utterly confused why I asked. Or they may be so confused about what a drone does that they'd deny flight. It's still a new world of tech to many rural areas.

Flying over people isn’t a privacy issue, it’s a safety issue (in case your bird drops from the sky). ESPECIALLY from 400ft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dronescape Imagery
Technically, in an unrestricted zone you are good to go. But flying above people is restricted. That doesn't make a lot of sense because If I were flying at 400ft I see landscape and no people. If I were to call my township/Sheriff/Police Dept, they wouldn't give a ****. OR they may be utterly confused why I asked. Or they may be so confused about what a drone does that they'd deny flight. It's still a new world of tech to many rural areas.

You have no need to call LE agencies before you fly; that wasn't the question. However, anyone flying a drone over a county jail or a prison will make new friends in law enforcement very fast. :D Responsible 107 pilots don't intentionally violate 107.39.
Hobbysts can pretty much do as they **** well please...until something bad happens.

You need permission from the jail/prison to fly within 500/200 or you will find yourself in seriously hot water.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctfulgham