Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

USA Info on 333 Motion Picture manual

Reaction score
I am in the process of filing my 333 exemption and was told to be covered under the closed set filming/motion picture aspect I would need a Motion Picture & Television Operating Manual (MPTOM). I was passed to another service who was charging $500 for this manual that I would assume is already made and all they're going to do is enter my name and which platforms I'd like covered. So to me that seems a bit much. I've also looked elsewhere and it seems not many others have mentioned that being needed.

So I'd like to see if anyone else has either written one themselves or used a service to write one up that you could recommend?

What information exactly is covered in this manual versus just a regular manual?

Reactions: m_flight
I am in the process of filing my 333 exemption and was told to be covered under the closed set filming/motion picture aspect I would need a Motion Picture & Television Operating Manual (MPTOM). I was passed to another service who was charging $500 for this manual that I would assume is already made and all they're going to do is enter my name and which platforms I'd like covered. So to me that seems a bit much. I've also looked elsewhere and it seems not many others have mentioned that being needed.

So I'd like to see if anyone else has either written one themselves or used a service to write one up that you could recommend?

What information exactly is covered in this manual versus just a regular manual?
You should write this yourself as it will be your operations manual to be considered to work in the Motion Picture Industry.
It's pointless getting someone to write it for you since you will not understand why the content is in there which negates purpose of the whole manual.
You will be required to explain your working procedures, flight planning, safety protocols, boldface procedures, checklists, redundancy measures, maintenance regimes, flight logging recording, MTOM, Risk assessment procedures and site survey routine.
You will also need to demonstrate your understanding of meteorology and reading and translating TAF's and METARS.
Manuals are usually 40-60 pages in length and should be authored by the PIC who will actually be doing the flying!
The Motion Picture Industry really do not want people in the Air who do not understand these fundamental principles. A closed set can be a very dangerous environment for flying things especially if there are overhead lighting rigs etc. You may also find that some production companies will not even let a non redundant 4 rotor RPAS on set.

Reactions: emulsiondown
You should write this yourself as it will be your operations manual to be considered to work in the Motion Picture Industry.
It's pointless getting someone to write it for you since you will not understand why the content is in there which negates purpose of the whole manual.
You will be required to explain your working procedures, flight planning, safety protocols, boldface procedures, checklists, redundancy measures, maintenance regimes, flight logging recording, MTOM, Risk assessment procedures and site survey routine.
You will also need to demonstrate your understanding of meteorology and reading and translating TAF's and METARS.
Manuals are usually 40-60 pages in length and should be authored by the PIC who will actually be doing the flying!
The Motion Picture Industry really do not want people in the Air who do not understand these fundamental principles. A closed set can be a very dangerous environment for flying things especially if there are overhead lighting rigs etc. You may also find that some production companies will not even let a non redundant 4 rotor RPAS on set.
So the things you mentioned that would be needed to be covered are already things you have to have covered with the exemption and the FAA having a registered aircraft. So is the motion picture manual just all this information combined? If thats the case it seems to be a bit redundant having another manual with the same information you're already required to have.

So the things you mentioned that would be needed to be covered are already things you have to have covered with the exemption and the FAA having a registered aircraft. So is the motion picture manual just all this information combined? If thats the case it seems to be a bit redundant having another manual with the same information you're already required to have.
No the manual will read almost like a instructional manual for your operations and safety procedures. It should be written so if you were incapacitated another member of the crew could easily try and safely maintain the closed set. It must be present there on set unlike your exemption ruling. Also it's going to cover considerably more than your exemption.

No the manual will read almost like a instructional manual for your operations and safety procedures. It should be written so if you were incapacitated another member of the crew could easily try and safely maintain the closed set. It must be present there on set unlike your exemption ruling. Also it's going to cover considerably more than your exemption.
Ok thats understandable. Seems like if thats the main reason is if I'm incapacitated you'd want to make it read a little more plain english versus a complete manual and having to flip through pages to figure things out.

I am also looking for an example of the Motion Picture & Television Operating Manual. I want to write on my own. But it is very difficult if there isn't a format to be able to follow. If anyone has done a Motion Picture & Television Operating Manual would you mind sharing with us? Can anyone help?

Looking forward to hear from you guys.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz