Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

USA 2way radio recommendations for commercial work communication on field.

Which TransReceiver brand would you go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They probably used my house because it sticks out like a sore d*** in the middle of mountain "who-the-hell-else-is-here" Pennsylvania, and provides challenging NOE mountain and terrain maneuvers. They are welcome to do so anytime, but I don't want to be an ad-hoc paramedic if they suck my drone into their turbo and smash into my neighbor's house. (And yes, waiver Nazis, I have a nighttime waiver, and this was 2001 way before Part 107, so calm down)
You're probably near where I'm at.... within an our east of Pittsburgh.

Reactions: William Gaddy
Hy guys,

I just saw a Youtube video where an FAA officer was giving a seminar on Part 107 certification. He actually recommend to buy a 2way radio for ATC communications and some other recommendations I've been seeing are the Yaesu FTA-750L Handheld transceiver.

I live in a busy are of airports specially Heliports.

First any recommendations on the matter and what would be the pros/cons between the 2way and transceivers.

Thanks.
Hey, I have the Yaesu FTA-750L and it is a handy tool to have on hand. I agree with the others that one should only transmit in an emergency. I have several heliports nearby where I generally fly, and when I called them to request permission to fly I told them that I would be monitoring traffic. They were pleased to hear this, and two of them actually told me that I didn't need to call for permission, as long as I was listening. It's a great tool to have to increase safety. And I would highly recommend the Yaesu. Not affiliated with them, I just like the radio.

Reactions: DoblW
Hey, I have the Yaesu FTA-750L and it is a handy tool to have on hand. I agree with the others that one should only transmit in an emergency. I have several heliports nearby where I generally fly, and when I called them to request permission to fly I told them that I would be monitoring traffic. They were pleased to hear this, and two of them actually told me that I didn't need to call for permission, as long as I was listening. It's a great tool to have to increase safety. And I would highly recommend the Yaesu. Not affiliated with them, I just like the radio.

I did returned cause was shipper at Gulf Coast Avionics than on Amazon and to use the money first to take the Part.107 test.
Thanks, I'll appreciate your feedback. Are USA based?

I've been following this thread trying to decide which airband radio to buy. I have about three jobs coming up soon, the area where I will be flying is infested with heliports. When I talked to ATC about this, they made it clear that they do not have a problem authorizing the job as long as I am monitoring traffic the day of the operation. Having said this I did a search on Amazon, a few radios popped. One of them is Yaesu, but do I need to spend that much money on a radio that I only need for monitoring traffic and probably hardly ever communicate?.
I saw other options in the $100 range but what's confusing me are the range of bands, for example this one here Amazon.com: TYT UV8000E 10W High Power Dual Band Two-Way Radio, Walkie Talkie with Cross-band Repeater Function & 3600mAh Battery, VHF 136-174/ UHF 400-520MHz Transceiver, with Car Charger, 2 Antennas, Cable: Car Electronics covers VHF 136-174 / UHF 400 - 520 MHz, I am assuming this will not work to listen air band?. By looking at the sectional one of my local airports' CT frequency is 120.95 and the other one nearby is 118.7, does this means that the above referenced radio will not work because the range is 136-174?

Last edited:
Nope. No air traffic on that one. My Yaesu works great and the ATC people that I have talked to are happy that I have the ability to transmit to them and air traffic, but only in an emergency situation. Not sure, but having that ability might help with having waivers approved, if that need ever arises.
Also, keep an eye out for used ones. People are always upgrading to the latest thing, like we do with drones, and you might just find a good deal.

My Yaesu works great and the ATC people that I have talked to are happy that I have the ability to transmit to them and air traffic, but only in an emergency situation.

My local ATC made it clear that by monitoring traffic, the day of the operation, it will greatly improve safety and for that reason they see no reason why not to approve it. I also told them that I do not have any appetite to transmit on that radio, to which they said " if an emergency arises you need to have the ability to communicate your location and altitude.

Once again, thank you all.

I've been following this thread trying to decide which airband radio to buy. I have about three jobs coming up soon, the area where I will be flying is infested with heliports. When I talked to ATC about this, they made it clear that they do not have a problem authorizing the job as long as I am monitoring traffic the day of the operation. Having said this I did a search on Amazon, a few radios popped. One of them is Yaesu, but do I need to spend that much money on a radio that I only need for monitoring traffic and probably hardly ever communicate?.
I saw other options in the $100 range but what's confusing me are the range of bands, for example this one here Amazon.com: TYT UV8000E 10W High Power Dual Band Two-Way Radio, Walkie Talkie with Cross-band Repeater Function & 3600mAh Battery, VHF 136-174/ UHF 400-520MHz Transceiver, with Car Charger, 2 Antennas, Cable: Car Electronics covers VHF 136-174 / UHF 400 - 520 MHz, I am assuming this will not work to listen air band?. By looking at the sectional one of my local airports' CT frequency is 120.95 and the other one nearby is 118.7, does this means that the above referenced radio will not work because the range is 136-174?

Hi, I just return my Yaseu, not because wasn't good. I bought it on Amazon, never opened, because the seller Gulf Coast Avionics 1hr from my home and the have it for $359.00 and no shipping for me vs Amazon $398.31 after tax/shipping. Plus I decided to spent the money 1st on the Part 107 Remote Certification $150.00 - $200.00 and later I'll bought it again (that model has GPS and really good reviews) another ones are the ICOM too.

FAA don't required to have a radio an by no mean you can't perform calls (except in a true emergency) but the FAA recommends to have one if possible.

In Australia they allow Remote-PIC make calls (of course once you know the procedures) that why when you get the RemotePIC Certification, not only you get a Knowledge test, but also a ground test (obstacle avoidance test on how to really learn to fly your UAS on Attitude mode ...no GPS, no avoidance sensor etc ...really manual mode) I hope USA setup the game into this, since Part.107 teach Radio procedures. What's the point to have a commercial license that anyone can take and have a lot of "Remote Pilot" not knowing how to fly the UAS.

Hi, I just return my Yaseu, not because wasn't good. I bought it on Amazon, never opened, because the seller Gulf Coast Avionics 1hr from my home and the have it for $359.00 and no shipping for me vs Amazon $398.31 after tax/shipping. Plus I decided to spent the money 1st on the Part 107 Remote Certification $150.00 - $200.00 and later I'll bought it again (that model has GPS and really good reviews) another ones are the ICOM too.

FAA don't required to have a radio an by no mean you can't perform calls (except in a true emergency) but the FAA recommends to have one if possible.

That's correct, it is not a requirement, it is recommended. Sounds like in the long run, it may make it easy for me to obtain authorization to fly in controlled airspace, not to mention I am all the way inn when it comes to safety. I want everybody, on the ground and in the air, to be safe. If there is a helicopter heading in the direction where operations are going to take place I want to know about it, to take appropriate action manned aircraft have the right of way.

I decided to go with the Yaesu FTA-750L from Gulf Coast Aviation, as you mentioned it is $359.00 shipped. Additionally, for limited time until July 31, 2017, there is a $30 rebate for the 2017 Airshow. Brings the total cost of the unit down to $329. Again, safety is priceless to me.

In case someone is interested here is the rebate for the Yaesu FTA-750L

Attachments

• yaesu 2017 rebate (1).pdf
    26.3 KB · Views: 6
That's correct, it is not a requirement, it is recommended. Sounds like in the long run, it may make it easy for me to obtain authorization to fly in controlled airspace, not to mention I am all the way inn when it comes to safety. I want everybody, on the ground and in the air, to be safe. If there is a helicopter heading in the direction where operations are going to take place I want to know about it, to take appropriate action manned aircraft have the right of way.

I decided to go with the Yaesu FTA-750L from Gulf Coast Aviation, as you mentioned it is $359.00 shipped. Additionally, for limited time until July 31, 2017, there is a $30 rebate for the 2017 Airshow. Brings the total cost of the unit down to $329. Again, safety is priceless to me.

Agree, safety! Awesome! thanks for sharing. I think I'll get it again!
Cheers!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz