Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

USA 2way radio recommendations for commercial work communication on field.

Which TransReceiver brand would you go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My point is that Part 107 does NOT give you an implicit license to TRANSMIT on aviation frequencies (please cite if I am incorrect). The rest falls to FCC regulations (please cite if I am incorrect, again)

My reading of the statute, the regs, and a few COA's (of which I have obtained) is that the only time you are authorized to transmit on CTAF or any other aviation frequency is if the FAA has specifically required it. I may be wrong, and I would welcome anyone to correct me if my evaluation here is wrong. In all other cases, the FCC regs hold.

Ok say for example you want to light up a big-*** 1mw VORTAC on a tower in your backyard. Hm. Who would you be talking to about that?

I knew that. Am still not getting your point. Are you a rated pilot? Did the rules change? Must current US pilot also have an FCC certificate?
I seem to recall needing one when I was a student pilot...1969.

I think we're talking past each other, brother. My point is only that Part 107 does not EXPLICITLY give a license to transmit on Aviation Band. It may be IMPLICIT, but it's not specific, and therefore could be used against you by the FCC in an "incident".

My reading of the statute, the regs, and a few COA's (of which I have obtained) is that the only time you are authorized to transmit on CTAF or any other aviation frequency is if the FAA has specifically required it. I may be wrong, and I would welcome anyone to correct me if my evaluation here is wrong. In all other cases, the FCC regs hold.
Yes I have my share of COAs, got my 333 in 2015. The discussion is not about flying under a COA. Uncontrolled airports do not require COAs. The point I am trying to make is that there is no FAR (Federal Aviation Regulation) that prohibits any remote licensed pilot (a pilot is a pilot under FARs) from using a CTAF FRQ. when, in the judgment of the pilot, it will enhance safety.
Ok say for example you want to light up a big-*** 1mw VORTAC on a tower in your backyard. Hm. Who would you be talking to about that?

To the FCC, if I wanted to install a VORTAC in my back yard....??? What does that has to do with an FAA licensed remote pilot transmitting on a CTAF freq like any other pilot?
Since we are getting into the weeds, the question I asked was which FAR prohibits a FAA licensed remote pilot transmitting on a CTAF freq like any other pilot? Answer; No such FAR.

I think we're talking past each other, brother. My point is only that Part 107 does not EXPLICITLY give a license to transmit on Aviation Band. It may be IMPLICIT, but it's not specific, and therefore could be used against you by the FCC in an "incident".
And part 61 does not EXPLICITLY give a private/commercial/atp pilot license to transmit on Aviation Band yes we do it every day (or at least I used to before I switched careers, friend)

You're in ambiguous territory here. CFR 14 Part 125.203 "Communication and navigation equipment" says (a)Communication equipment - general. No person may operate an airplane unless it has two-way radio communication equipment able, at least in flight, to transmit to, and receive from, appropriate facilities 22 nautical miles away.

Is a man-portable, unmanned quadrotor an airplane for purposes of the regulation? Just remember how the the feds work. The less specificity, the more they capture activity in their jurisdiction. Read into that what you may.

I'll agree to disagree, William. To the youngsters dropping by for advice know that no FAR prohibits you from making a blind call announcing your UAS launch so nearby aircraft can hear you. When I fly within 5 miles of any uncontrolled airport I blind call in CTAF, then switch over to AIR-TO-AIR VHF 122.750, then switch to helicopter VHF 123.025(upon recommendation of my FSDO contact.).

It's my practice, not regulation. But if you are going to push that button, first learn how the lingo works from a pilot. As a manned aircraft pilot I would appreciate knowing a UAS is in my airspace. Just my 2_cents.gif

You're in ambiguous territory here. CFR 14 Part 125.203 "Communication and navigation equipment" says (a)Communication equipment - general. No person may operate an airplane unless it has two-way radio communication equipment able, at least in flight, to transmit to, and receive from, appropriate facilities 22 nautical miles away.

Is a man-portable, unmanned quadrotor an airplane for purposes of the regulation? Just remember how the the feds work. The less specificity, the more they capture activity in their jurisdiction. Read into that what you may.
I believe the FAA already defined UAS as an aircraft, don't know about the FCC, not that it changes anything.
An FAA PART 107 pilot is not prohibited by any FAR to transmit on a CTAF or any other aviation freq any more than a Part 61 pilot is.

I do not disagree with one word you've said, other than since I fly as 107 most of the time they just direct me to the Portal of Doom. No CTAF, no ATC cab mobile numbers, just log on to the website and hurry up and wait for months. MAYBE I can call the FSDO to somewhat hurry up things, but that's about it.

I do not disagree with one word you've said, other than since I fly as 107 most of the time they just direct me to the Portal of Doom. No CTAF, no ATC cab mobile numbers, just log on to the website and hurry up and wait for months. MAYBE I can call the FSDO to somewhat hurry up things, but that's about it.
"Portal of Doom":D I like that.
All my COAs requiring ATC contact provided a super secret squirrel phone number to call, so the radio is moot.

Reactions: William Gaddy
Only reason I have a two way is for the "oh-s***" moments (I fly in congested, helicopter-infested areas). If you fly DJI with all their firmware wonky you know what I'm talking about. This stuff ain't Apollo 11. I think blind, one-armed monkeys test their s*** before it's released to the public.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz