Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

USA 2way radio recommendations for commercial work communication on field.

Which TransReceiver brand would you go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Hy guys,

I just saw a Youtube video where an FAA officer was giving a seminar on Part 107 certification. He actually recommend to buy a 2way radio for ATC communications and some other recommendations I've been seeing are the Yaesu FTA-750L Handheld transceiver.

I live in a busy are of airports specially Heliports.

First any recommendations on the matter and what would be the pros/cons between the 2way and transceivers.

Thanks.

two way radio and transceivers are the same Transceiver is TRANSmitter reCIEVER

Now one thing to understand is how radio traffic works at a field and honestly you are better off to call on the phone especially if you are not a manned aircraft pilot

Reactions: DoblW
two way radio and transceivers are the same Transceiver is TRANSmitter reCIEVER

Now one thing to understand is how radio traffic works at a field and honestly you are better off to call on the phone especially if you are not a manned aircraft pilot

Thanks! I guess I should ask about specifics on brand suggestions, like Motorola, Yaesu ...just to get weather reports ...etc

Thanks! I guess I should ask about specifics on brand suggestions, like Motorola, Yaesu ...just to get weather reports ...etc

If you're only getting ATIS then you only need a receiver you need something that can do 118.00 to 136.00 MHZ for voice and 108.000 MHZ to 117.950MHZ for VOR's nav fixes

motorola doesnt really make anything in those bands. For handhelds Icom, Vertex and Yaseu are the leaders with some others making house brand radios

If you're only getting ATIS then you only need a receiver you need something that can do 118.00 to 136.00 MHZ for voice and 108.000 MHZ to 117.950MHZ for VOR's nav fixes

motorola doesnt really make anything in those bands. For handhelds Icom, Vertex and Yaseu are the leaders with some others making house brand radios

I know Part 107. state not to communicate with airport except in an emergency, so I assumed does brand would allow transmission in the event of an emergency? right?

Thanks for the help!

Not bad at all to have a Yaesu on-hand to monitor (but not TRANSMIT to) the local nearest CTAF.

Like I did ask to AMGPilot: I know Part 107. state not to communicate with airport except in an emergency, so I assumed does brand would allow transmission in the event of an emergency? right?

Thanks for the help.

Like I did ask to AMGPilot: I know Part 107. state not to communicate with airport except in an emergency, so I assumed does brand would allow transmission in the event of an emergency? right?

Thanks for the help.

Correct, it is a transceiver, so you can transmit to CTAF, but only do so in the event of a legitimate emergency such as a flyaway at altitude, etc.

Correct, it is a transceiver, so you can transmit to CTAF, but only do so in the event of a legitimate emergency such as a flyaway at altitude, etc.

Thanks very much!
I'm base in florida any good app or resource to find places on the "green side" of Advisory notices to fly for cinematography low level practice as a one PIC/Camera operator control practices?

Thanks.

– Wilmer.

Now, I understand most manned pilots' reticence about 107 operators having two-way radios -- they're worried about yokels with a Phantom 3 announcing on CTAF they're about to take off over their koi pond and spouting words of wisdom like "I like Turtles!" and poisoning frequency with random chatter. At the same time the FAA recommends you have a two-way radio for emergencies, and to monitor. Any truly professional 107 operator will have a two-way aviation radio, but will ONLY key that mic if they know they're going to have to file an NTSB report because they're in deep s*** already.

Example: you're flying your custom dodecahexacopter at max altitude of 400 ft, you lose positive control, and she flies away and up, and you're in an area with frequent helicopter traffic, I'd be on that mic key immediately.

Now, I understand most manned pilots' reticence about 107 operators having two-way radios -- they're worried about yokels with a Phantom 3 announcing on CTAF they're about to take off over their koi pond and spouting words of wisdom like "I like Turtles!" and poisoning frequency with random chatter. At the same time the FAA recommends you have a two-way radio for emergencies, and to monitor. Any truly professional 107 operator will have a two-way aviation radio, but will ONLY key that mic if they know they're going to have to file an NTSB report because they're in deep s*** already.

Totally understood! and that would be my case (becoming a truly 107 pro and soon a Private Pilot too!) Just want to make sure I'm getting everything I'm studying on 107 and you hast just confirm what the Part 107 truly recommends and yes it emphasizes monitoring but only communication to CTAF un true emergency scenario. I'll be looking into models Icom, Vertex and Yaseu. Thanks!

Reactions: William Gaddy
Also, in some cases, airspace authorizations, waivers/COAs will REQUIRE you to have a radio. See above.

Totally understood! and that would be my case (becoming a truly 107 pro and soon a Private Pilot too!) Just want to make sure I'm getting everything I'm studying on 107 and you hast just confirm what the Part 107 truly recommends and yes it emphasizes monitoring but only communication to CTAF un true emergency scenario. I'll be looking into models Icom, Vertex and Yaseu. Thanks!

Good luck on the Private Pilot! I started out that way until they greased the skids with 107. I was 90% through Sport Pilot ground school when they sprung that surprise.

Example: you're flying your custom dodecahexacopter at max altitude of 400 ft, you lose positive control, and she flies away and up, and you're in an area with frequent helicopter traffic, I'd be on that mic key immediately.
I agree fully. A Manned aircraft hits an inspire 1 at 100+ MPH it can and will go through the windshield. In a case like that I would rather help people be safe. It would be a good idea to give direction your bird was last flying in and approximate speed and rate of climb so people have the information to make an educated decision.

Just bear in mind, most aviation transmissions are from a big-*** transceiver (CTAF) to an airborne plane aloft. If you are in a congested area (trees, buildings) your ground station (handheld) may not pick up everything.

Yes, that's the reason, I'm looking for good ones without braking the bank ...since I got my awesome Inspire 2 and X5S all ready and at my condo area I have an Heliport for the Fish Memorial Hospital ...imagine the responsibility in or side PICs ...and because I'm going through the studies to get the Private Pilot (a childhood dream) just without having the 107 certificate yet, you feel all ready belonging to a special sector above the overall citizens (with no intention on offending anyone) Thanks .

Reactions: William Gaddy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LangeJens