Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Zenmuse X5R: Gamechanger

Reaction score
DJI has been a little "hit or miss" lately, but the X5R looks to be a true game changer. After only using it for 20 minutes, it is clear that this is a huge step up from the X5. The image quality is simply stunning. Compared to the X5...it's day and night.

This is the camera setup I have waited years for. It's finally here. Our 30+ foot CF jib is nearing completetion and the X5R/Osmo adapter works. Finally.

This is a still from a 4096x2160 video. Color graded to my hearts desire.

X5R.jpg

No flickering. No compression issues. Beautiful 24p in RAW. Slow clap for DJI. FINALLY!

This is great, and I just received my X5R today, and I'm psyched to use it.

But there is no reason that DJI couldn't have produced an outstanding X5 camera. Sony and Panasonic manage to produce outstanding 4K video at 100 megabits/second. The X5 produces mediocre 4K video at 60 megabits/second.

So while we are congratulating DJI on an outstanding $3,200 camera, let's not forget that they mostly blew it on the $1,700 camera.

This is great, and I just received my X5R today, and I'm psyched to use it.

But there is no reason that DJI couldn't have produced an outstanding X5 camera. Sony and Panasonic manage to produce outstanding 4K video at 100 megabits/second. The X5 produces mediocre 4K video at 60 megabits/second.

So while we are congratulating DJI on an outstanding $3,200 camera, let's not forget that they mostly blew it on the $1,700 camera.

Agreed. I'm not letting that get me down though. Not today. Today is the culmination of a long search for the right drone/camera setup. Ever since I first used a GH4 on the S1000 I have been looking for something similar but not as big or bulky.

DJI has been a little "hit or miss" lately, but the X5R looks to be a true game changer. After only using it for 20 minutes, it is clear that this is a huge step up from the X5. The image quality is simply stunning. Compared to the X5...it's day and night.

This is the camera setup I have waited years for. It's finally here. Our 30+ foot CF jib is nearing completetion and the X5R/Osmo adapter works. Finally.

This is a still from a 4096x2160 video. Color graded to my hearts desire.

X5R.jpg

No flickering. No compression issues. Beautiful 24p in RAW. Slow clap for DJI. FINALLY!
Don't worry - they will completely screw it up on the next firmware release. :p
Normal service will be resumed......

Ahhh man thank you i was waiting for someone to try the x5r with the osmo before buying you sir just made me day :D great screen shots! Did you edit the raw footage in fcpx?

Last edited:
I don't have a side by side to compare to the X5 but it's basically taking the photo quality from that camera and using it for video.

I can't help to think that there is nothing wrong with the x5 as I watch this video.
It's 60Mbps for 4K. That's like 30Mbps for 1080p. Fine if you just upload the shots "as is". Not fine if you want to do any kind of grading. Its the difference between shooting RAW stills and medium compression JPEG. It's night and day.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctfulgham