Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Zenmuse X5 Ribbon Cable Major Problem Area

Reaction score
Got my Inspire 1 Pro today and before even getting off of the ground I found a major problem area with the ribbon cable. DJI left the ribbon cable exposed where it runs from the camera to the mount, and it was already getting damaged the first time I placed the X5 back in its case.

Fortunately I caught it and I plan on wrapping it with electrical tape, but I wanted to warn other owners before they need to repair the ribbon cable for their new $2K camera.

Check the attached picture to see where the case had wrinkled the ribbon cable just by placing it back inside the case.

Attachments

• RibbonCable.jpg
    RibbonCable.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 341
Got my Inspire 1 Pro today and before even getting off of the ground I found a major problem area with the ribbon cable. DJI left the ribbon cable exposed where it runs from the camera to the mount, and it was already getting damaged the first time I placed the X5 back in its case.

Fortunately I caught it and I plan on wrapping it with electrical tape, but I wanted to warn other owners before they need to repair the ribbon cable for their new $2K camera.

Check the attached picture to see where the case had wrinkled the ribbon cable just by placing it back inside the case.

Cut the foam back slightly with a craft knife AND wrap the exposed cable.

Cut the foam back slightly with a craft knife AND wrap the exposed cable.

I did both already. It seems like DJI still makes paper thin ribbon cables and leaves them exposed no matter what the cost of the camera. It would have cost them pennies to cover the few mm of exposed cable.

Reactions: berns
Magic

top forum. Thats why I love blokes on here are all over it

Many thanks

Great information. I will watch and change when I get my X5 the next days, hopefully...

Noticed this on mine, good idea to either trim the foam or wrap the cable (or both!).

I didn't notice this at first. I just looked, and there is a little divot in my foam where the cable was rubbing against it!

I have removed the foam and taped the cable. Thanks!!!

The camera cables for all DJI products are deliberately designed to break if you look at them wrong.This is a huge source of revenue for DJI - probably more profitable than selling the original quads. The crooks in Customer Service in British Columbia claimed they couldn't replace the cable in my Phantom 2 Vision +, but they COULD sell me a new camera for $900. The cables are available on Ebay.com for $12 U.S. There are also youtube videos on 'How To'.

Reactions: slim.slamma
Newer X5 camera cases have the foam cut differently to allow more room in this area.

Unfortunately found out about this issue to late! But thanks for posting and help me diagnose my issue. The green light on the gimbal turns out but no gimbal motor engagement and it comes up as disconnected in the app. I can see the wear marks on the cable. Does this seem like the same cable you are talking about? Seems expensive.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Zenmuse-X...Replacement-Part-Inspire-1-M600-/272343033533

After inspecting my Inspire 1 and X5 camera following a particular heavy landing I noticed some distortion of the main ribbon cable linking the X5 gimbal to the aircraft connector. After scratching my head as to the cause I discovered that it was the hard form in the storage case that was to blame. I have used a sharp knife to remove a small piece of foam. I have applied some insulation tape and successfully tested the camera in flight.

X5 owners may wish to check for similar damage.

Crease in ribbon cable (note also rust on screw heads).

PB100099a.jpg

Visible wires within lifted ribbon cable

PB100106a.jpg

Ribbon cable in modified case

PB100111a.jpg

Damaged ribbon cable and piece of foam removed

PB100108a.jpg

Portion of foam removed

PB100107a.jpg

Reactions: John Alan
After inspecting my Inspire 1 and X5 camera following a particular heavy landing I noticed some distortion of the main ribbon cable linking the X5 gimbal to the aircraft connector. After scratching my head as to the cause I discovered that it was the hard form in the storage case that was to blame. I have used a sharp knife to remove a small piece of foam. I have applied some insulation tape and successfully tested the camera in flight.

X5 owners may wish to check for similar damage.

Crease in ribbon cable (note also rust on screw heads).

View attachment 10585

Visible wires within lifted ribbon cable

View attachment 10586

Ribbon cable in modified case

View attachment 10587

Damaged ribbon cable and piece of foam removed

View attachment 10588

Portion of foam removed

View attachment 10589
Old news Andrew. :p

See my post number 2 here.
Zenmuse X5 Ribbon Cable Major Problem Area

Looks like I missed both the op and the new post, thanks for the pictures, exactly like my ribbon cable... only too late for my limp camera. Argh :-(. I tried everything, first looking at the cables connecting from bird to dampening plate, then on my Osmo (shoulda started there) and also shoulda checked that an X3 works too (it does). X5 remains limp. At least I wasn't on a payed shoot.

Yes. Electrical tape around the gimbal arm will buy some protection, but a quick modification of the foam in the box (as per my photos) will prevent the damage in the first place,

I am experiencing problems setting the aperture in manual mode and am about to return my X5 for repair.

Reactions: Cruncher
Yes. Electrical tape around the gimbal arm will buy some protection, but a quick modification of the foam in the box (as per my photos) will prevent the damage in the first place,

I am experiencing problems setting the aperture in manual mode and am about to return my X5 for repair.
My case does not have that notch to rub the cable, but you never can tell what it might get hung up on ya know? Hope you get yours sorted!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz