Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

X5R?

No word on x5r or x5 adapter plate for osmo. Fingers still crossed they both drop before end of year!

Still really expensive and heavier, with a TB48 battery the inspire HAS to be near or over its MTOW.
Personally that's scary when you consider even a tiny crash on this thing is going to cost you the best part of at least £3000 because the gimbal will snap in two. the craft and battery will degrade over time, which means this thing is always going to be working its *** off. Why not just engineer them with more leg room?

Things were so much easier when all you needed to be happy was a Phantom 2, h3-3d and go pro.

Reactions: gregdd
What's the word on being able to upgrade the I1 Pro with X5 to the X5R? If this is doable does the X5R camera come with another Zenmuse gimbal mount or are you supposed to swap the cameras? Does it require a new mount plate attached to the I1?

If the existing mounting plate is usable then presumably the electrical contacts in the X5 mount are the same as the X5R mount and that the X5R with Zenmuse gimbal mount would quick connect in the same way as the X5 with Zenmuse gimbal.

I guess what I'm asking is this something that would permit me to swap cameras with just the quick disconnect system?

The follow on question is whether or not the newly anounced FLIR camera and gimbal mount will connect without modification using the same quick disconnect -- that would be a very interesting thing though I'm guessing the FLIR package will be in the ballpark of $2.5K-$3K.

Brian

The X5R mounts on the same plate as the X5, that's what the currently unused little clips at the back of the plate are for. All the cameras use the same quick mount as is easy to see in every photo out there.

It is not actually close to MTOW so nothing to worry about there

http://s23.postimg.org/t9wc7z66j/dji.jpg

Its right on the limit, MTOW is 3.5kg with what I assume was a TB47 and X5 is 3.4kg.
Add in the extra weight of the X5R.
TB48
Some lenses weigh more than stock.

If you're going to fly a £5000 rig with no redundancy, at least make sure its not breaking a sweat. The inspire X5 is in the red from the second you take off and that's with the new motors.

Add in the X5R which is heavier due to SSD and extra housing and you're in trouble, no doubt DJI will try to sting everyone with a new revolutionary propulsion system closer to the time, as they seem to enjoy revising the inspire every 4 months.

Last edited:
http://s23.postimg.org/t9wc7z66j/dji.jpg

Its right on the limit, MTOW is 3.5kg with what I assume was a TB47 and X5 is 3.4kg.
Add in the extra weight of the X5R.
TB48
Some lenses weigh more than stock.

If you're going to fly a £5000 rig with no redundancy, at least make sure its not breaking a sweat. The inspire X5 is in the red from the second you take off and that's with the new motors.

Add in the X5R which is heavier due to SSD and extra housing and you're in trouble, no doubt DJI will try to sting everyone with a new revolutionary propulsion system closer to the time, as they seem to enjoy revising the inspire every 4 months.

It's not actually breaking a sweat. People have flown regular inspires with the the lower powered motors with a TOW over 4kg. The headroom is there. The rated MTOW already has the headroom built in and In no way represents the maximum weight the uav will fly with but the maximum weight you should fly with to have a safe buffer and good handing and flight characteristics.

I keep hearing "redundancy"

Its been pointed out before that you have four wheels on a car. No redundancy. Do you drive?
How many pilots with redundancy practice with one motor down?
Yes it would be nice but not a real show stopper as your flight plan should have redundancy built in ie safe place to ditch etc.
Only my thoughts on it would having extra redundancy justify extra cost in majority of cases?

Why would anyone need the x5r anyway? I've filmed for Discovery Channel and BBC already for blue chip shows using the x5 with no complaints over picture quality. If I were filming for cinema I wouldn't dream of using an MTF no matter the bit rate. If you are that serious about picture quality get an ALTA and a RED Dragon
(When I said 'you' I meant 'one'. I wasn't referring to anyone on this post)

Last edited:
While I thought about the X5R but I decided to go with the X5 for a number of reasons. First, the cost differential of $1500 or so is a bit hard to justify. Second, the additional weight penalty, though I'm not worried about it pushing the MTOW, I do not wish to sacrifice flight time any more than the X5 does over the X3. Also, if, or perhaps, when you crash replacing the X5 would be bad enough -- replacing the X5R would be that much worse.

I do wish the X5 had a higher maximum bit rate -- 60Mbps is decent, but 100Mbps would be even better. I do hope they up the max bit rate on the X5.

So, instead of getting the X5R I'll invest in more batteries, the SPC4500 4 battery charger and some other accessories like a prop balancer.

Brian

Agreed. 60Mbps is an arbitrary figure anyway. All you have to do is get the editor to pass the footage. The director and producer couldn't care less as long as it looks good.

Reactions: tweaker
While I thought about the X5R but I decided to go with the X5 for a number of reasons. First, the cost differential of $1500 or so is a bit hard to justify. Second, the additional weight penalty, though I'm not worried about it pushing the MTOW, I do not wish to sacrifice flight time any more than the X5 does over the X3. Also, if, or perhaps, when you crash replacing the X5 would be bad enough -- replacing the X5R would be that much worse.

I do wish the X5 had a higher maximum bit rate -- 60Mbps is decent, but 100Mbps would be even better. I do hope they up the max bit rate on the X5.

So, instead of getting the X5R I'll invest in more batteries, the SPC4500 4 battery charger and some other accessories like a prop balancer.

Brian

Yeah 100mbs at 4K would be nice and would be closer on par with cameras like the GH4 and A7sII. I can usually reframe a bit on those cameras in post but the Inspire footage it is too mushy for my taste. Why they went with the same bit rate, codec and frames rates as the X3 is beyond me.

I do think next year we will see a large jump in IQ for the mid to lower end quads. The Tornado 920, Blackmagic Micro cinema camera look promising. The X5R will be a game changer too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctfulgham