Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

X5 Gimbal issue on Inspire 1 pro

Reaction score
Take a look at this weird motion from my gimbal, noticed it from first day I flew, doesn't happen on the Osmo so I don't think its a mechanical issue. Anyone have similar problem? Video was edited so you don't have to search for the moments, it is not constant though it did happen often

You should never assume, that's why my assuming that DJI is going to supply the correct balancing rings and no additional messing around should be necessary .... so much for assuming. I actually can place the camera in a straight ahead position after installing the gimbal on the AC and it stays perfectly still I'm using both the 15mm DJI and Oly 14-24mm EZ, the EZ is on now fully extended looking straight ahead like a good little soldier, so I am believing it is balanced.
Ids there a specific procedure to balance ? I have calibrated focus.

So long as it's a supported lens, it should automatically see what model is connected.

Because of the way the gimbal works, the IMU and Compass both have a ton to do with how the gimbal travels.

Calibration steps should be...
IMU
Compass
Gimbal
Gimbal center
Focus

I do these every time I'm in a new location and changing lenses, might be overkill, but I haven't seen the 15mm drift since I adopted that process.

I'm waiting on my balance ring for my 45mm, it acts similar but not the same without balance ring, but I've also tried to get close to 8g with filters.

Reactions: Mixchief
So long as it's a supported lens, it should automatically see what model is connected.

Because of the way the gimbal works, the IMU and Compass both have a ton to do with how the gimbal travels.

Calibration steps should be...
IMU
Compass
Gimbal
Gimbal center
Focus

I do these every time I'm in a new location and changing lenses, might be overkill, but I haven't seen the 15mm drift since I adopted that process.

I'm waiting on my balance ring for my 45mm, it acts similar but not the same without balance ring, but I've also tried to get close to 8g with filters.

So, based on the movement you see on my video, do you think it is a balance problem? it happens with both the 15mm and the 14-45mm now being they are both supported lenses that should be perfectly balanced with the proper rings, what else could it be?

Latest video same location really shows some weird behavior by my X5, can anyone suggest something please

@Mixchief: What editing software are you using - and more importantly do you have it doing any sort of stabilization on the clips upon import automatically? Another way to check what I am wondering about it is to let us know if you you see this live while flying or if you see it on your playback while you are still out in the field.

Thank you FDS for responding, finally someone is willing to help. This video is untouched except for resizing, I have no preset import protocols, video looks exactly the same if I play it from the SD card without copying or importing. I use FCPX , yes the vibration and roll problems are visible on fpv in fact the roll issue is very visible (meaning I see the camera make the move) if I play with the stick on the ground with the props off, come to think of it I don't remember if I've looked into it with the motors running, first drastic roll happens when I first start the motors and bring the sticks to low and inside, then in flight it's obvious when I'm rolling left or right, that the gimbal follows instead of stabilizing as it should. I have yet to actually see the camera display the up down movements but now I feel compelled to place the AC on a table light her up and see if the gimbal does this on the ground.
Please note I use the X5 regularly on an Osmo handle and have nothing of this sort happen which tells me maybe the AC is causing this.

As for the balance issue mentioned above, can you take a quick video so we can see how the lens is balanced? Do not power on the aircraft but remove the lens cap. Attach any filters you were using and simply show the lens pointing straight forward, then manually point it up (and let go), point it down (and let go) so we can see how much (if any) movement exists.

If for example, if you are using the Osmo handle with different filters (or none) the lens being in balance or out of balance could be the cause of this issue.

I know you already replied to some balance questions, but I was not sure if it applied to both lenses you mentioned and if you had the aircraft on or off when you said it was pointing straight ahead.

Thanks.

FYI guys, my issue was caused by my own lack of experience and DJIs very limited instructions yes I actually like instructions detailed instructions. Thanks to Donnie over at the DJI forum who actually went as far as recreating my issue, he discovered that the issue was due to my having the lens in fpv mode where as I. Being told, the gimbal is not actively stabilizing the camera. Thanks FDS for getting involved and helping me out.

FYI guys, my issue was caused by my own lack of experience and DJIs very limited instructions yes I actually like instructions detailed instructions. Thanks to Donnie over at the DJI forum who actually went as far as recreating my issue, he discovered that the issue was due to my having the lens in fpv mode where as I. Being told, the gimbal is not actively stabilizing the camera. Thanks FDS for getting involved and helping me out.
Well that would do it...glad you got it all sorted out. If you ever need anything else, just let us know...happy to help any way we can.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz