Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

M300 & H20T Issues

Reaction score
I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction with this one.

This past Sunday we flew a search and rescue mission for a body recovery on a river. Due to the sun angle and reflection off the water, We had to keep the H20T pointed down most of the time, in the vertical orientation. So we are manually flying nadir imagery, looking for things in the river. Water was low and mostly clear, so you could see a lot, minus deeper spots in the river.

When the H20T would reach its max angle, the message would shoot up about hitting the limit of the gimbal. I don’t have an issue with that. However, every time we would make a turn to make another pass, the gimbal would randomly move the camera up 15-20 degrees, the reflection off the water was back and we had to manually reset it to the vertical (nadir) orientation. This is really annoying, when all I want it to do is stay down while we are flying “S” pattern searches on the river.

Does anyone know how to make this not happen? I have done numerous searches online for the info or the settings to change and I’m not finding much. There is a chance there is a recent firmware that I haven’t gotten to downloading yet, but if I thought that was the issue, I would expect to be able to find other situations of people encountering the same thing.

If you have any ideas on resolving this issue, I’d like to hear them!

Thanks!

I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction with this one.

This past Sunday we flew a search and rescue mission for a body recovery on a river. Due to the sun angle and reflection off the water, We had to keep the H20T pointed down most of the time, in the vertical orientation. So we are manually flying nadir imagery, looking for things in the river. Water was low and mostly clear, so you could see a lot, minus deeper spots in the river.

When the H20T would reach its max angle, the message would shoot up about hitting the limit of the gimbal. I don’t have an issue with that. However, every time we would make a turn to make another pass, the gimbal would randomly move the camera up 15-20 degrees, the reflection off the water was back and we had to manually reset it to the vertical (nadir) orientation. This is really annoying, when all I want it to do is stay down while we are flying “S” pattern searches on the river.

Does anyone know how to make this not happen? I have done numerous searches online for the info or the settings to change and I’m not finding much. There is a chance there is a recent firmware that I haven’t gotten to downloading yet, but if I thought that was the issue, I would expect to be able to find other situations of people encountering the same thing.

If you have any ideas on resolving this issue, I’d like to hear them!

Thanks!
Is it possible that when you changed direction that the 90 degree setting of the gimbal was exceeded when the drone tilted? It would then move the gimbal to maintain the maximum 90 degrees - but not go back.
Do you use polarizing filters to cut through surface reflections? I've been pretty successful in most situations allowing me to see clearly into the water. Depends on the angle of the sun of course.

Is it possible that when you changed direction that the 90 degree setting of the gimbal was exceeded when the drone tilted? It would then move the gimbal to maintain the maximum 90 degrees - but not go back.
Do you use polarizing filters to cut through surface reflections? I've been pretty successful in most situations allowing me to see clearly into the water. Depends on the angle of the sun of course.
Anything is possible and that might be a worthwhile explanation.

We do not use polarizing filters on the H20T. I didn’t know they made such a thing. If you have a link or recommendation, I’d like to hear about it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rdavis103