Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

X5 for stills

Reaction score
Hello good forum, this is my first post here.
I am from the western coast of Norway, where I work as a photographer.

I have long been looking for a drone to do stills work (mostly landscapes) with.
I currently own two Phantom 2’s, with gopros, but they just do not cut it for print work.

I have been considering buying a S1000 setup or a S900 with a GH4, but so far I the costs and accessibility has made them not worth it to me.

So to me the X5 on an Inspire seems very promising.
Very accessible and easy to set up, and “cheap” compared to investing in the complete aforementioned setups (I would also have had to buy a GH4).

Looking at the DNG files available, I’m not quite seeing the 12.8 stops of dynamic range, but it’s not bad either.

The lower bitrate of the video portion of the camera does not concern me that much, but I would like to see them closer to 100 or more.

So are there anyone else out there looking for stills capabilities of the X5?

Last edited:
I think every Inspire user is interested also in the photographic capabilities of this aerial platform. Actually Zenmuse X5 is what most of the Inspire users demanded, a better camera, especcialy on the photographic side.
Time will tell, in the next couple days we should see more user tests and reviews, so far I am pleased with the improvements made to the new camera.

Yes, I am keen to see the capabilities for stills imaging but am not convinced by the sample so far that the x5 is worth the money.

Yes, I am keen to see the capabilities for stills imaging but am not convinced by the sample so far that the x5 is worth the money.

I think you will change your opinion in the next couple days, I am also a little bit dissapointed with the X5 samples delivered so far, but I think it is also related with the beta app used for testing. I think the results delivered in the next couple days will clearly present the advantages of the new camera.

It would be much appreciated if you guy's that are receiving your X5's could post a few still images, or links to, so that we stills people could have peek :)

Stills is almost my only need from the X5. I do some video, but my main aim is landscape stills, so I'll be watching very very closely. In honesty, I can't see myself going the S1000 route because of no live camera setting changes, which is pretty important given the lighting changes in sunrise and sunset landscapes. So the X5 is my only really feasible way of improving the quality. It may not be a big enough improvement considering the huge price, but it's still way less than an S1000 in reality.

Stills is almost my only need from the X5. I do some video, but my main aim is landscape stills, so I'll be watching very very closely. In honesty, I can't see myself going the S1000 route because of no live camera setting changes, which is pretty important given the lighting changes in sunrise and sunset landscapes. So the X5 is my only really feasible way of improving the quality. It may not be a big enough improvement considering the huge price, but it's still way less than an S1000 in reality.

There will be a big increase in quality, I promise you.

I agree, but it's over $5,000 for the camera ALONE in Australia. That's half a fully set up S1000.
It's pretty hard to justify when I can put a Canon 5D III up there, or a 48mp Sony, and have longer flight times in the process, and the small redundancy that an Octo offers. The only downside at all is no live camera control. That's hard to ignore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, but it's over $5,000 for the camera ALONE in Australia. That's half a fully set up S1000.
It's pretty hard to justify when I can put a Canon 5D III up there, or a 48mp Sony, and have longer flight times in the process, and the small redundancy that an Octo offers. The only downside at all is no live camera control. That's hard to ignore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, I know where you're coming from. But I think you have to look at things overall and not just one single aspect. The live camera control, as you point out, is a big factor for me and one I am prepared to pay for. I have to admit though, at $5000 Aus dollars, that's about £2,500 pounds!! And that's just for the camera? Blimey, that is a ridiculous amount of money. In the UK, the camera alone is about £1500 so about $3000 Aus dollars. Why don't you import one from the UK? You could buy the camera only, and buy the 15MM DJI lens from me!!!! I'm receiving my Inspire pro on Tuesday, but want to sell the stock lens as I'm going for the Olympus 12mm. It will be brand new, unused for £330 so $660. You could save there, and save with the import of just the camera. You could make it work for yourself I guess. Total $3660. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262088496664?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Last edited:
Just did all the maths based on the prices at the DJI site.
$3799 AUD for the X5
$169 AUD for the vibration damping plate.
$3968 AUD in total, plus longer legs which I can't even find on their site.

I'd almost be better off selling my almost brand new I1, and buying an I1P instead.
The change over cost would probably be a rather similar $4K but it would be a purpose built solution instead of cobbling all the bits together.
So not quite the $5K we originally got told they'd be here in Aus, but not a long way off it either way.

But I REALLY REALLY REALLY want that better stills quality. I guess it depends what I'm prepared to do to get it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctfulgham