Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

X5 feedback please!!

Reaction score
Can any of the X5 owners pls give me some feedback on how your like the camera vs. X or Z3?? I have both of the X and Z3 and am pondering biting the bullet and getting a X5. Any feedback would greatly be appreciated. Thx!!!

If you like to simply point and shoot then stick with what you have. If you are more into fiddling with lens and manually focusing then the X5 is the only way to go. Can't beat being able to lock in the proper focal point for what you are shooting.

Thx, I'm definitely into photography and aperture control!! That's why I think I would like this camera!

Reactions: Jccline
No problem...I just got mine and I'm not that great with photography and knowing what's best. I still am loving the control and the quality I'm able to get out of the X5 so far. Not always what I was hoping for but the times I get it right are great....lol

Reactions: Don-O
Can any of the X5 owners pls give me some feedback on how your like the camera vs. X or Z3?? I have both of the X and Z3 and am pondering biting the bullet and getting a X5. Any feedback would greatly be appreciated. Thx!!!

I love my X5 gimbal and it's exciting to see the quality of the imagery from the big lenses and sensors. I've only begun to work with them.

One thing I learned is how the stock 15mm lens' narrower angle of view than the X3 affects framing shots, have needed to revise some Litchi missions to fly higher. For one shot, the X3 gets a house and it's foundation plantings as it whizzes around a circle, but the longer lens on the X5 only gets the roof. The results are fine since the X5 gets better details. The 14 - 42 zoom lens lets me stand way off a tower and get better detail.

I recently learned, by mistake, that the 9 - 18mm zoom lens I thought would be a good idea only works on the X5S gimbal, so am hankering for an Inspire 2, won't be any time soon...

Thx, I'm definitely into photography and aperture control!! That's why I think I would like this camera!
You of course have a wide variety of lenses available as well and some relatively inexpensive prime lenses: e.g. a 45 mm is effectively a telephoto because of sensor size, but there's one drawback that you should be aware of, which is, continuous focus, where some have thought that auto-focus mode meant continuous focus. But, proper lens aperture and lighting will mitigate having to fiddle with focus much of the time, but the ability to focus (sharp) is world's apart from a fixed focus camera. But the real fun is getting your camera in places that are virtually impossible with a land-based camera.

Depends what you're shooting. In low light, the X5 kicks butt all over the X3. The glass is better and it has a larger MFT sensor (which some productions demand), so it's a much better low-light camera than the X3. Unfortunately, that comes with a price, as it's a much heavier camera. One really FEELS that camera when flying around the already-wieldly Inspire 1.

Regarding the Z3, I test flew a Z3 and didn't like it. The Z3 might be good for inspections or other industrial uses, but it is NOT a cinematic tool.

Here's a video I took with the X5.

I really struggled with exposure on this one - not blowing out the sky yet still highlight the balloon envelops during burn and when NOT burning. I think I shot f/4 to maintain the 180° shutter rule. In this instance, it would've really helped to have the X5R...but I digress.

For the money you're going to pay for an X5, if you're looking for a real cinematic jump, I would spring for the X5R. Despite DJI's latest/greatest cinematic cameras, the X5R is a still a VERY respectable aerial camera with very high bitrate (Over 1Gb/sec if memory serves). Compare this to the 60MB/sec. of the X3 or X5.

As X5R prices drop, I hope to own one here in the next year or so. I plan on mounting it to an M600 Pro. We'll see where the aerial market takes me. I've been moving away from cinema in favor of aerial mapping and traffic analysis.

D

Depends what you're shooting. In low light, the X5 kicks butt all over the X3. The glass is better and it has a larger MFT sensor (which some productions demand), so it's a much better low-light camera than the X3. Unfortunately, that comes with a price, as it's a much heavier camera. One really FEELS that camera when flying around the already-wieldly Inspire 1.

Regarding the Z3, I test flew a Z3 and didn't like it. The Z3 might be good for inspections or other industrial uses, but it is NOT a cinematic tool.

Here's a video I took with the X5.

I really struggled with exposure on this one - not blowing out the sky yet still highlight the balloon envelops during burn and when NOT burning. I think I shot f/4 to maintain the 180° shutter rule. In this instance, it would've really helped to have the X5R...but I digress.

For the money you're going to pay for an X5, if you're looking for a real cinematic jump, I would spring for the X5R. Despite DJI's latest/greatest cinematic cameras, the X5R is a still a VERY respectable aerial camera with very high bitrate (Over 1Gb/sec if memory serves). Compare this to the 60MB/sec. of the X3 or X5.

As X5R prices drop, I hope to own one here in the next year or so. I plan on mounting it to an M600 Pro. We'll see where the aerial market takes me. I've been moving away from cinema in favor of aerial mapping and traffic analysis.

D
Nice vid and thanks for the info. Got my X5, so now i just need to do some flying. One quick question: What do you do with the manual aperture ring(setting wise) if you can control it thru the app?? Bolton

Nice vid and thanks for the info. Got my X5, so now i just need to do some flying. One quick question: What do you do with the manual aperture ring(setting wise) if you can control it thru the app?? Bolton

I don't understand the question.

D

Where do you set the manual aperture ring on the lens when you can manually do it thru the app in flight. Do you set it for the 'auto' mode of shooting???

The dial at the upper right of the RC controls camera settings. Every time you click it (by depressing it), it toggles through ISO, Shutter, Aperture. But first you have to make sure you are in manual mode. I use a legacy version of the Go App (v3.1.1), so any precise instructions I give here will just confuse you if you use the latest version of the Go App. But I think I've given you enough here to get you started.

Beware that "racking" the Aperture on any DJI product can be very frustrating because all exposure settings change in steps. So if you plan on changing EV in any way, shape or form in the middle of a shot, you will find it extremely frustrating. And as far as I know, DJI didn't fix this in the Inspire 2 or any other "Pro" offerings.

D

Was was talking about on the lens itself. You just select auto on the lens. Whether you let it do it automatically or manual since you control it through the app

Was was talking about on the lens itself.

Then why didn't you say "hard switch?" Apps have "soft buttons." Hardware has "hard buttons" or switches. Unless you articulate which one you mean, the body has no freakin' idea what you're talking about.

You just select auto on the lens.

That's called a "hard switch." And going from memory, the choices are "AF" or "MF," which are the same choices in the Go App.

Whether you let it do it automatically or manual since you control it through the app

Okay. I don't know where you're going with that incomplete sentence...but if you finish it, and then punctuate it, I'll know if you're sharing new information or asking a question.

"Communication." It's what's for dinner.

D

The dial at the upper right of the RC controls camera settings. Every time you click it (by depressing it), it toggles through ISO, Shutter, Aperture. But first you have to make sure you are in manual mode. I use a legacy version of the Go App (v3.1.1), so any precise instructions I give here will just confuse you if you use the latest version of the Go App. But I think I've given you enough here to get you started.

Beware that "racking" the Aperture on any DJI product can be very frustrating because all exposure settings change in steps. So if you plan on changing EV in any way, shape or form in the middle of a shot, you will find it extremely frustrating. And as far as I know, DJI didn't fix this in the Inspire 2 or any other "Pro" offerings.

D
****, never knew that right wheel had a depression feature!!! Thanks!! Are you flying the FW version of the your bird before DJI detuned it?? How fast can you go? I'm limited to 40+ but want to roll back for speed!! Thanks for the X5 info, got some shootin to do. But the question i had about the aperture ring, is do you not worry about where it is set on the lens if you're controlling it thru the app?? Thanks again!! Bolton

Hey Donnie I'm not the one who asked the question, I was answering the OP's question. Any reason you choose to attach me in some way? How do you know that I'm not from another country and what I type could be broken english or from a translator?

Try rereading the persons question. It's clear he is asking about where to set the lenses dial setting for aperture. I was simply saying you set that to "A" (auto) no matter what you are doing in the app whether that be auto or manual mode...

Last edited:
****, never knew that right wheel had a depression feature!!! Thanks!!

You're welcome.

Are you flying the FW version of the your bird before DJI detuned it??

v1.8.1

How fast can you go?

65mph with a good tail wind. HA!

I'm limited to 40+ but want to roll back for speed!!

I can hack the FW any time I wish to well exceed factory limits. But honestly, the Inspire 1 is a bit of a barge. I love it for the things I use it for. But "racing" isn't one of them...<;^)

Thanks for the X5 info, got some shootin to do. But the question i had about the aperture ring,

There is no aperture ring. That's a focus ring.

is do you not worry about where it is set on the lens if you're controlling it thru the app?? Thanks again!! Bolton

You can only control aperture via the app. You CAN manually focus the X5, but not sure why one would do that...unless it were mounted to an OSMO. Not even sure the OSMO supports the X5.

Anyway...good luck.

D

Hey Donnie I'm not the one who asked the question, I was answering the OP's question. Any reason you choose to attach me in some way?

I never attached you. But NOW consider yourself attached...

^^^^ attached ^^^^

How do you know that I'm not from another country and what I type could be broken english or from a translator?

Well...that would explain a lot.

Try rereading the persons question.

Which person? Which question?

It's clear he is asking about where to set the lenses dial setting for aperture.

Clear to whom? What's a "dial setting?" The Remote Control has a pair of dials. There are settings in the app. But there are no dial settings. Below are dials...with settings....

I was simply saying you set that to "A" (auto) no matter what you are doing in the app whether that be auto or manual mode...

I have no idea what you just said. But to your point... I despise lazy posting and poor communication. Your "answers" don't impart understanding. They create confusion....NOT helpful. Cut it out, will ya?

D

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz