Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

X5 difference, is it worth it?????

It all comes down to image quality. The X5 looks great on paper(bigger sensor, higher quality lens options, etc.) but in most of the comparison videos its hard to see any large improvements over the X3.

The price combined with the lower flight times do not make this a justifiable upgrade IMO.

I agree, on paper the X5 looks excellent, like a GH4 with a built in gimbal, and in theory it should behave as one. It's why I believe it has been deliberately crippled in order to make the X5R shine.

Personally I'm more excited for the X5R just to see how far the RAW and 10-bit video files can be pushed in post. Also a must have for higher end gigs.

We just delivered a 6-part doc series to a national network this month, so yea I know the difference between looking at calibrated monitors vs. a TV broadcast. Unfortunately you are absolutely wrong about the state of 'consumer TVs'. People can tell what looks good and what looks like ****, even if they don't realize it, and yea, can tell the difference between graded and ungraded footage even though according to your logic if it's going to TV broadcast why even grade it all at right?

Consumers know NOTHING about grading footage and couldn't care less. X3 footage to them will be just fine as will non graded footage that was shot correctly and exposed right in the first place.
How do you think we all managed before grading came along a few years ago?

agreed total bs
the biggest difference between the 2 cameras is that the x5 shoots better in "low light" but here is the USA we can't do "legal" jobs at night, so ..................
Exactly! Yes it has low light advantages but that's all.
Thanks for agreeing with me on this.

Consumers know NOTHING about grading footage and couldn't care less. X3 footage to them will be just fine as will non graded footage that was shot correctly and exposed right in the first place.
grading came along a few years ago? what are you talking about? davinci was born in 1980! it existed before photoshop

FYI History of Color Correction and Grading Technologies | ICA/International Colorist Academy

i am not sure how you managed but i had all my footage graded for the past 15 years. even back in the days when i was a smoke/flame operator every photography director made us grade footage. it was pretty much unthinkable not to do it.

Reactions: The Editor
You're right, they know nothing about it. But they do know the difference between graded and ungraded, that is abundantly obvious. I couldn't even imagine sending out our show ungraded, with different cameras and lighting available, the assembly cuts are actually hard to watch because of the differences in cameras we are cutting together. I guess what you're saying is that all that money we spent on pro grading we may as well have flushed down the toilet right?

Reactions: The Editor
You're right, they know nothing about it. But they do know the difference between graded and ungraded, that is abundantly obvious. I couldn't even imagine sending out our show ungraded, with different cameras and lighting available, the assembly cuts are actually hard to watch because of the differences in cameras we are cutting together. I guess what you're saying is that all that money we spent on pro grading we may as well have flushed down the toilet right?
Yup - suppose I will just have to give away the DaVinci Resolve Surface now cos its useless and nobody is going to be able to tell the difference anyway.
Will stick it on eBay tonight for $0.00 :(

Yup - suppose I will just have to give away the DaVinci Resolve Surface now cos its useless and nobody is going to be able to tell the difference anyway.
Will stick it on eBay tonight for $0.00 :(
I'll bid on it, $5.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LangeJens