Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Use Inspire X5 as a Ronin on the ground?

Reaction score
Website
www.professionaldroneservices.co.uk
Hello,

I've just ordered my X5 and I'm waiting for it to arrive. I was wondering if it is able to be used as a kind of walk around camera without the props, kind of like a Ronin? For example, carry the Inspire by the arms all turned on recording but it will capture nice stabilised footage, similar to a GH4?

Thanks

Yes, but it is far too heavy and ungainly to do this for more than a minute or two.

When DJI Gets around to supporting the X5 on the Osmo, then you will have a great solution.

I've been testing my X5 gimbal by carrying it around. It is actually much easier to use than a Ronin if you can figure out a way to mount the monitor. You have to also carry around the controller to get a video feed, but it's still much lighter.

What is so crazy is Dji doesn't support the focus hardware win the x5 so the only way to have an x5 gimbal with camera operator and focus pull is to carry around the bird. Not too heavy and you can hook it into a strap support. Practice your ninja walk. Have seen a lot of osmo videos with serious vertical movement; you have to stabilize the rig vertically, the gimbal cant take out the bounce, it's up to you. Will try and post some ground multi operator with x5 and focus soon.

I actually threw together some heavy duty suction cup mount/brackets and put it on the hood of a car and drove around. Really smooth results, controlled pan/tilt from the passenger seat, it was a lot of fun!

Reactions: russkn87
Thanks Luke, it was your video that gave me the idea in the first place! I found it on YouTube. My Inspire arrives tomorrow. My only other quad was a Phantom 2 with FPV which I installed myself. I'm nervous to say the least, terrified of crashing and flyaways but I always fly with caution.

For people saying the inspire is too heavy to pack around, just read your manual under specs, the inspire all up weight is 3400 grams, the ronin m is 2299 grams. Where I come from that is lighter , well the way we were taught math anyway.
I have several Ronin M and Inspire pro and I have had times where I had to use my Inspire pro x5 as a handheld gimbal. There are no set rules, do what you want to do, just be sure to remove the props in case of a mechanical or electrical breakdown. I would hate to see you lose a finger. The Ronin M is one awesome piece of equipment, I shoot with a GH4 and the stabilization is amazing!!!. I do recommend the Jockey Motion 4-Axis Gimbal & Upgrade Ronin 3-Axis to 4-Axis. This takes the bounce out of it. If you need any help, ever!!! just give me a shout. Good luck with your projects...

Thanks,

Ralph

I actually threw together some heavy duty suction cup mount/brackets and put it on the hood of a car and drove around. Really smooth results, controlled pan/tilt from the passenger seat, it was a lot of fun!

Luke

Very cool. Can you share some details on your suction cup mounts? I'd like to give this a shot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz