Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

The latest list of compatible lenses for the X5

Reaction score
At the request of LSP this is the list as of 4/15/16. I am currently testing some interesting and obscure additional telephoto solutions equal to 170mm. I will post these combinations in the near future. Happy Flying, Chris

Attachments

• DJI INSPIRE 1 PRO X5 Compatible lens list.pdf
    253.2 KB · Views: 1,868
Last edited:
Dear Chnjab, thank you very much for your testings and contribution and sharing this info with us. An enrichment to the community :)

Reactions: Chnjab
Thanks for putting this together and spending your time documenting it. Great job!

So my takeaway (if I do jump on the X5R train when it rolls out) is these are first up essentials, based on your experience:

- Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12mm f2.0 (basic lens for video)

- Olympus M, ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 EZ (Awesome zoom interface in the app definitely belongs in your bag of tricks.)

- Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 25mm f1.8

- Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 45mm f1.8 (must have lens)

Can I ask a simple question though: for a FOV similar to what we have with the X3, but without the lens distortion, aw any of these close?

Reactions: Chnjab
Getting me to narrow them down to three is definitely tough. However Damon's insight definitely made the task a bit easier. I would go for the following:
1)Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12mm f2.0
2)Olympus M, ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 EZ
3)Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 45mm f1.8
Have you done/seen any sharpness tests for the Olympus 14-42mm? Inherently zoom lenses aren't so sharp as primes and for that price it's a cause for suspicion.

Guys Im very new at this. How does one balance the lens . Where do you get balance rings etc. I want to purchase these two lenses
Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12mm f2.0
Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 45mm f1.8

Reactions: Studio D YXE
Guys Im very new at this. How does one balance the lens . Where do you get balance rings etc. I want to purchase these two lenses
Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12mm f2.0
Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 45mm f1.8
So to balance the gimbal you want to add weight to the front of the lens because by default, the camera will be back heavy once the lens has been installed.
To do this, DJI have released what they call a 'balance ring' which is like a UV filter but without the glass... Essentially it's just a metal ring that can screw on to the front of your lens (it comes as standard with the DJI 15mm) and is heavy enough to balance the gimbal (sort of). Another way to balance the gimbal instead of using the balancing ring would be to use a UV filter, polarizing filter or ND filter.
The balance ring can be taken off of the DJI 15mm and put onto the Olympus 12mm with no problems as they both have the same filter thread size.
However, this is not the case with the Olympus 45mm as it has a 37mm filter thread so you have a couple of options, you can either buy a new set of filters that have a 37mm thread size OR you can simply buy a 37mm - 46mm step up ring which will then allow you to use your 46mm thread sized filter fit on your Olympus 45mm.
On a side note - DJI will be releasing more balance rings in the future to accommodate these new lenses with their varying thread sizes.
I hope that made sense and helped!

So to balance the gimbal you want to add weight to the front of the lens because by default, the camera will be back heavy once the lens has been installed.
To do this, DJI have released what they call a 'balance ring' which is like a UV filter but without the glass... Essentially it's just a metal ring that can screw on to the front of your lens (it comes as standard with the DJI 15mm) and is heavy enough to balance the gimbal (sort of). Another way to balance the gimbal instead of using the balancing ring would be to use a UV filter, polarizing filter or ND filter.
The balance ring can be taken off of the DJI 15mm and put onto the Olympus 12mm with no problems as they both have the same filter thread size.
However, this is not the case with the Olympus 45mm as it has a 37mm filter thread so you have a couple of options, you can either buy a new set of filters that have a 37mm thread size OR you can simply buy a 37mm - 46mm step up ring which will then allow you to use your 46mm thread sized filter fit on your Olympus 45mm.
On a side note - DJI will be releasing more balance rings in the future to accommodate these new lenses with their varying thread sizes.
I hope that made sense and helped!

Woow ,

thanks for the information understand fully now.

Try blue tack next time.

If it flys off (highly unlikely once warmed and molded on) it will not have potential to shatter a prop!

Try blue tack next time.

If it flys off (highly unlikely once warmed and molded on) it will not have potential to shatter a prop!
Cheers for the advice. Sorted with step up ring and UV filter now though so no need for the coin. That was just a temporary fix for the first flight ;)

Any more lenses that you have tested? Also Which lens would be considered a "go to" lens..not to much zoom, but a nice over all larger picture with no fish-eye?...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctfulgham