Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Sharpest primefor the X5?

Reaction score
i'm a photographer and filmmaker so i would like a solid feedback about the best primes! Not looking into a zoom the quality of an olympus zoom lens is not in my standards. My main zoom lens is 70-200 f2.8 is ii.So the day Olympus will put out a zoom lens that sharp i will be happy but it will never fit on the inspire or Matrice lol :D

Ps already purchased the Olympus 45mm 1.8 i am looking at the Olympus 25mm. any other lens worth having i dont know?

Oly 12mm is better than the DJI 15mm without question. I used the DJI lens once and then put in a box and forgot about it. The Oly 12 is going to give you the best results.

Reactions: damoncooper
Oly 12mm is better than the DJI 15mm without question. I used the DJI lens once and then put in a box and forgot about it. The Oly 12 is going to give you the best results.

Perhaps you got a bad copy of the Panasonic, although anecdotally there is more variance in the Olympus lenses.

I'm a stills photographer shooting (big white) Canon. I'd been looking at a mirrorless system for 'hobby' stuff and as I had bought a couple of lenses for the X5 so decided I may as well spend a little money on M4/3s

In my view there is little difference in sharpness between the two (O 12 & P 15mm) lenses, but perhaps the Panasonic controls flare and CA a tad better - I got rid of the 12mm in favour of the 7-14mm but kept and use the 15mm for the Inspire as I prefer the perspective / focal length for flying.

IQ, perhaps shouldn't be the overriding factor here, the 12mm gives quite a different perspective from the 15mm - personal taste is involved here. There is no way you can say "The Oly 12 is going to give you the best results." it depends.

A 25mm is a 'must have' on M4/3.

Title says "sharpest prime". That'd be the 12. Clearly not your priority if you're swapping a prime for a zoom.

Sorry for the drift Guys.

ianwood, You're quite right, I should have bought the Olympus 7MM 2.8.

I wish there was a an Olympus 7mm f/2.8 rectilinear lens for the m4/3. It might be something that would actually work with the X5. I find it odd that there aren't any lightweight UWA for m4/3. A 14mm f/2.8 seems to be a standard for full frame and my understanding was that it was easier to make lightweight wide angles for mirrorless cameras.

i'm a photographer and filmmaker so i would like a solid feedback about the best primes! Not looking into a zoom the quality of an olympus zoom lens is not in my standards. My main zoom lens is 70-200 f2.8 is ii.So the day Olympus will put out a zoom lens that sharp i will be happy but it will never fit on the inspire or Matrice lol :D

Ps already purchased the Olympus 45mm 1.8 i am looking at the Olympus 25mm. any other lens worth having i dont know?

If you're going to be using the kit professionally, I would just spring for all the prime lenses, they are all great for different purposes. I use the 25mm and 12mm about equally, the 12mm a little more and then use the 45mm much less often, but it has a unique purpose that justifies the cost for me.
If you want to just buy one right now I would get the 12mm if you don't already have the stock 15mm. If you have the stock 15mm I would see if you can sell it to get the 12 and 25.

That was before the Panasonic 15mm was announced.

Current DxOmark comparison for these two lenses on GX3

That was the first and last time that I ever look at dxomark. No wonder so many people are confused by their methodology. Is there anything online like the-digital-picture for m4/3rds?

Anyway, it looks like DXOmark puts the 15mm near the top, but all of the lenses are good enough. I even like the 14-42, but I'm more of a videographer that plans to use the X5 primarily with the Osmo and therefore bought all of the primary focal lengths (and even the GH4) to go with it since everything is relatively cheap compared to the rest of my video equipment and even the X5. I just wish there was an UWA available.

I agree with gruvpix, just get them all and maybe skip the 15mm since it is an odd focal length in the middle of the standard full frame equivalent 24mm and 35mm lenses.

I am amazed at what you say here about the 2.8 70-200 Canon. I have one as well on my Mark 3 and it would be no where near as sharp as my X5. I wouldn't even compare them.

I am amazed at what you say here about the 2.8 70-200 Canon. I have one as well on my Mark 3 and it would be no where near as sharp as my X5. I wouldn't even compare them.
seriously??? you have the older mk1 version? Cuz i have not found another "zoom" lens that sharp! And i was reffering to the Olympus zoom lens btw not "prime" cuz that would be comparing a Civic to a Lexus. You compare zoom vs zoom. Prime vs prime.

Last edited:
Yeah my Nikkor 70-200 F2.8G is also a nice glas but compared to weight and price, the X5 is awesome.

Chris

Reactions: Predator
Thx guys i will grab the 12mm and probably the 25 after. i like having wide - mi

seriously??? you have the older mk1 version? Cuz i have not found another "zoom" lens that sharp! And i was reffering to the Olympus zoom lens btw not "prime" cuz that would be comparing a Civic to a Lexus.
I have the mark 3 and and it will never take images as sharp as my X5. Matter of fact, after using the X5 I am wanting to go for another camera for my main filming. I like the 4k. I think Ill go for the BM Ursa. The only thing that bothers me is it is not full frame.

I have the mark 3 and and it will never take images as sharp as my X5. Matter of fact, after using the X5 I am wanting to go for another camera for my main filming. I like the 4k. I think Ill go for the BM Ursa. The only thing that bothers me is it is not full frame.
Just get a GH4, it gives basically the same image. As for getting better images from an X5 versus a 5D III, I'm assuming you are comparing video sharpness at low ISO, because otherwise the 5DIII is an all around better camera. As for the 70-200 2.8II IS, I can only assume you are talking about 5DIII video, which has nothing to do with the lens.

Just get a GH4, it gives basically the same image. As for getting better images from an X5 versus a 5D III, I'm assuming you are comparing video sharpness at low ISO, because otherwise the 5DIII is an all around better camera. As for the 70-200 2.8II IS, I can only assume you are talking about 5DIII video, which has nothing to do with the lens.
Yes, you are right. I can't however turn up with a Gh4 to shoot a $4000 tv commercial or video. The clients wouldn't want to pay for what they see as a hobby camera like they own themselves. I also have the wide Canon lenses and for wide angle, need the full frame.

Reactions: deltaevo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz