Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Rust on Screws

Reaction score
So I bought a used X5, which supposedly has been flown only a few times. I was surprised to see a little bit of rust on almost every screw. The dude was from Hawaii, so probably been in some salty air. Anyone else who lives by the coast seeing the same type of corrosion on screws? Are there any accessible submersion stickers so I can see if it's been wet (like they have underneath cell phone batteries)?

Also, one of the screw caps was taped on:

Reactions: slim.slamma
yeah this is a sad reality of the X5, it happens on the inspire craft too and the metal holder for the tablet on the remote.
I'll never get DJI, they do so many things well, charge a fortune, then they shoot themselves in the foot by allowing stuff like this to happen when it could have so easily could have, and should have been avoided.

First thing I did on my inspire and X5 when I saw the signs (after only 3 days of use) was to scrape it off with small wire brush and simply apply a small amount of vaseline (haha pervs!) on the screws and that will solve the problem. Its something people should do ASAP as if you leave it, you might well find the screws will snap off if you ever need to open them, or tighten them for general maintenance.

Obviously there is moisture in the air, so if you can, get some kind of mini blow drier and give the drone a blast with it after you're done flying for the day.

Mind you, yours looks really bad compared to mine :(

try corrosion block. goes under the rust and stops further corrosion for at least 18 months. also lubricates and the company is in the states. google corrosion block or nocorrosion and it should pop up. you really need literaly a drop. my laptop monitor had a contact problem ad started flickering - put a drop on each side and never happened since...
i am not affiliated or get anything from the company, its just a working product :)
not expensive either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sucks. Most likely the few times it was used was over the ocean probably getting sea spray on it. Don't know how else you would get that much corrosion in such a short order. The seller should have told you. That's not something you leave out.

You will want to look at the ESCs as they will probably have some corrosion on them too which could lead to failure if not fixed.

As for the taped on screw cap, it is known to fall off when putting it in the travel box.

Reactions: slim.slamma
try corrosion block. goes under the rust and stops further corrosion for at least 18 months. also lubricates and the company is in the states. google corrosion block or nocorrosion and it should pop up. you really need literaly a drop. my laptop monitor had a contact problem ad started flickering - put a drop on each side and never happened since...
i am not affiliated or get anything from the company, its just a working product :)
not expensive either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for your solution. Will keep an eye out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz