Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

RS2 for Matrice 600 pro gimbal

Reaction score
hi, I purchased an almost new M600 pro a few months ago but I have been away on a project and haven't had a chance to fly it. It comes with a mount for a X5R (which I own the camera as well) , but I would really like to use a larger camera with a better file. I shoot photography for a living but am dabbling in a lot of video recently. But the best camera I own for video and stills thats lightweight ism canonR5, so would like to fly this. I only own two sets of batteries and dont want to buy anymore, but would like to have good flight times. I also only own one controller.

I looked into a gremsy gimbal.
but I already own Ronin-s and a RS2 gimbals, is there anyway I could use these for a gimbal? I have seen s-bus RC control of a ronin MX through tethering to the main controller -

and I know the RS2 can be controlled with and RC through a ronin-s focus wheel attached to a RS2-

Does anyone know if this seems like a good idea? If it works well I get a better gimbal ( the RS2 is a great gimbal- probably far better than a Gremsy, lightweight and strong) - and I already own it and can use it for other uses.

cheers Paul

I am considering going this way. I have Ronin MX and shooting with RED Dragon but I'm not happy with this setup. Looking forward to upgrade the gimbal to RS2 and get the RED Komodo with it. But not sure how to mount the RS2 on the M600. Also there are other things that have to be sorted out like providing video feed to the second controller monitor, wondering what is your plan about that? Some wireless hdmi module that have very low latency will be perfect, or it could be simply to connect the second monitor with hdmi cable?

I am considering going this way. I have Ronin MX and shooting with RED Dragon but I'm not happy with this setup. Looking forward to upgrade the gimbal to RS2 and get the RED Komodo with it. But not sure how to mount the RS2 on the M600. Also there are other things that have to be sorted out like providing video feed to the second controller monitor, wondering what is your plan about that? Some wireless hdmi module that have very low latency will be perfect, or it could be simply to connect the second monitor with hdmi cable?
hi Niki, looking at the video with the remote extender - that controller uses the video feed from the main controller and seems to control non-dji gimbals (ie, gremsy etc). I am hoping that theres a way to using standard rc controls to control the RS2 through this. I am sure its not as simple as this- thats why im asking on the forum.
I think the RS2 is a very good gimbal, lightweight and strong (plus I own one). Ill post if I find any answers.

Reactions: niki
Not sure if anyone is watching this post or can help, but here is my plan as a graphic.

Attachments

• M600_IDEA1.jpg
    M600_IDEA1.jpg
    591.1 KB · Views: 30
I'm not sure if the path you're attempting would provide the best outcome for you. The RS2 isn't designed for the M600Pro and the LB2 isn't designed for the RS2 for gimbal controls. Camera controls can be separate like you're discussion for 2nd Remote but not sure on Gimbal controls.

The RoninMX was the only DJI gimbal made for the M600Pro and LB2 FW. Although there are 3 main Gremsy Gimbals that work with the M600Pro very nicely and 1) Weigh less than the RoninMX, 2) setup a camera mount faster than a MX, 3) More modern model and access to support, software, FW, and parts.

The MX is a great gimbal but the Gremsy has several models that work nicely with the M600Pro. The T3, S1v3, and maybe for your usage, the H16 designed for the Red Models.

On the defense of the RoninMX, it's older and price is much lower. It's hefty and can mount basically anything desired.

I have 2 M600Pro, and RoninMX... I'm focusing more on the A7r3 or A7S2 or 3. The RoninMX is slow to setup, slow to mount & balance. It's SW interface is flawless... works great: rotate, tilt, pan, etc.

To control the Gimbal, the DJIGO App will perform nicely. To control the Camera settings, I've tried several and focusing on the AirCommander V2. This unit will controll all Sony settings, and similar for many Brands including Red.

Not suggesting your RS2 project isn't worth exploring, I just tend to like removing the frustration and using hardware designed to work together. Gremsy 4-6 yrs back was a patch work to make it compatible with M600Pro and they've worked hard getting the package to work smoothly.

Another thing to consider... compared to the X5R mount. Is the additional weight and flight time. Plus you mention 2 Battery Sets; that may be shy on projects. The TB48S get warm, and it's best not to charge warm LiPo Batteries... it increases the decay of the LiPo Gel, shortening the lifespan of the Battery.

Reactions: MikeA
On the screen visibility. You can run HDMI out of the M600Pro RC to 2nd Screen or tag with 2nd RC. If using something like the AirCommander V2, you see your camera setting change effects on the primary screen.

The RoninMX comes with a seperate RC Controller for Gimbal... never used it, always use the DJI GoApp.

For Video from Camera to Module on Gimbal, the DJI SRW-60G works nice as a short range wireless cable between Camera & Gimbal.

I'm not sure if the path you're attempting would provide the best outcome for you. The RS2 isn't designed for the M600Pro and the LB2 isn't designed for the RS2 for gimbal controls. Camera controls can be separate like you're discussion for 2nd Remote but not sure on Gimbal controls.

The RoninMX was the only DJI gimbal made for the M600Pro and LB2 FW. Although there are 3 main Gremsy Gimbals that work with the M600Pro very nicely and 1) Weigh less than the RoninMX, 2) setup a camera mount faster than a MX, 3) More modern model and access to support, software, FW, and parts.

The MX is a great gimbal but the Gremsy has several models that work nicely with the M600Pro. The T3, S1v3, and maybe for your usage, the H16 designed for the Red Models.

On the defense of the RoninMX, it's older and price is much lower. It's hefty and can mount basically anything desired.

I have 2 M600Pro, and RoninMX... I'm focusing more on the A7r3 or A7S2 or 3. The RoninMX is slow to setup, slow to mount & balance. It's SW interface is flawless... works great: rotate, tilt, pan, etc.

To control the Gimbal, the DJIGO App will perform nicely. To control the Camera settings, I've tried several and focusing on the AirCommander V2. This unit will controll all Sony settings, and similar for many Brands including Red.

Not suggesting your RS2 project isn't worth exploring, I just tend to like removing the frustration and using hardware designed to work together. Gremsy 4-6 yrs back was a patch work to make it compatible with M600Pro and they've worked hard getting the package to work smoothly.

Another thing to consider... compared to the X5R mount. Is the additional weight and flight time. Plus you mention 2 Battery Sets; that may be shy on projects. The TB48S get warm, and it's best not to charge warm LiPo Batteries... it increases the decay of the LiPo Gel, shortening the lifespan of the Battery.
HI Doug, thanks heaps for your thoughts.

The main reasons for thinking of this is that I already own all of this, I use the gear for other work. But to go the gremsy way, plus a new m600 remote, camera remote, its getting quite pricy. I will do this if I have to, but wanted to consider the other options.

Ive been talking to a FPV drone guy, and it seems the gear for me to try this isn't too expensive (RC controller, RSs mount
On the screen visibility. You can run HDMI out of the M600Pro RC to 2nd Screen or tag with 2nd RC. If using something like the AirCommander V2, you see your camera setting change effects on the primary screen.

The RoninMX comes with a seperate RC Controller for Gimbal... never used it, always use the DJI GoApp.

For Video from Camera to Module on Gimbal, the DJI SRW-60G works nice as a short range wireless cable between Camera & Gimbal.

HI Doug, thanks heaps for your thoughts.

The main reasons for thinking of this is that I already own all of this, I use the gear for other work. But to go the gremsy way, plus a new m600 remote, camera remote, its getting quite pricy. I will do this if I have to, but wanted to consider the other options. Im just being cheap!

I live in New Zealand and been watching the market and there hasn't been a ronin mx for sale for quite some time.
I cant get one from overseas as we cant shop lithium batteries here. I could try harder and ask forums if there are any to sell- they aren't too expensive now. It just the 15 minute flight time, and they 2k NZD for a third set of batteries im trying to avoid! With my old inspire X5R I have enough flight time for 40 minutes and this has been enough for my jobs, sot hats my ideal.

thanks again , Paul

Hey Paul, totally understand your viewpoint… and if it meets your needs, then it’s the best route.

That is one nice feature of a large platform, very receptive to a multitude of options. The large platforms are also much more stable and smooth in my opinion.

Best of Luck on the project.

Hey Paul, totally understand your viewpoint… and if it meets your needs, then it’s the best route.

That is one nice feature of a large platform, very receptive to a multitude of options. The large platforms are also much more stable and smooth in my opinion.

Best of Luck on the project.
I have found supply of new ronin MX batteries in NZ, so if I buy a cheap MX off ebay, this is the simplest options.
However, I just saw a post on beverly hill trials and they had mounted a RS2 onto of a FPV drone! They know what they are doing though!

I realize this may be out of your zone... you mentioned something about not able to ship batteries. A New York shop is advertising 12x RoninMX units that included the M600Pro Mount and 2 Batteries.

I realize this may be out of your zone... you mentioned something about not able to ship batteries. A New York shop is advertising 12x RoninMX units that included the M600Pro Mount and 2 Batteries.

thanks for this. theres a few cheap ones in th uk as well.

btw, here is the link to the fps flying a rs2-

Wow! That's a relatively large Octal (Push/Pull). Their FPV looks like a 2nd forward Pilots camera and the RS2 topmounted.

That'd be similar to like a M210 PIP showing both Pilot's FPV and Cinema Camera on Screen(s).

Pretty cool, looks like a nice piece of hardware... and Pricey!

Wow! That's a relatively large Octal (Push/Pull). Their FPV looks like a 2nd forward Pilots camera and the RS2 topmounted.

That'd be similar to like a M210 PIP showing both Pilot's FPV and Cinema Camera on Screen(s).

Pretty cool, looks like a nice piece of hardware... and Pricey!
They are saying they can use active track (mentioning circling cars while tracking them), so I wonder if they are sending boosted (how ever they do this) raven eyes signal? Raven eyes only has a 100m range. I see they have a separate video transmitter on top, maybe they have the video feed to monitor, but when they are in the raven eyes range they make the tracking settings?
All way fancier than what I planned! I just want a cheap light gimbal....

well, I'm still slowly progressing on this idea. Ive mounted the Rs2 on a gremsy vibration mount (for T3, as this is about the same weight as an RS2) and have a RC controller to move the camera gimbal with the s-bus. I plan on the camera controller tapping into the SDI for their video feed.

Ill try this out in the next few days- wish me luck, im nervous flying a lot more money in the air than im use to!

one issue I have - I got got a drone shop to mount an FPV camera, but I needed to go into the menu to choose FPV or main camera to view (couldn't get Picture in Picture mode). Is there a way to get the FPV for the main controller(as its connected through the av port of the light bridge) and output the main camera feed out of the HDMI/sdi simultaneously? Ill make a new post asking this on the forum.

Attachments

• IMG_1465.jpg
    IMG_1465.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
Hey Paul, any update on this? We're you able to get everything to work reasonably well?

Ha- just saw your last post was only last week. Will be watching for updates, as I'm in a similar situation.

Ha- just saw your last post was only last week. Will be watching for updates, as I'm in a similar situation.
Hi, I have got the rs2 connected to the rc controller, but while I was trying to get the updated RS2 firmware to actually trigger the camera shutter (it does this with the firmware) its not quite going right.... so I am dropping the drone/RS2/controller and my camera to my local drone store to get them to work it out this week! Ill keep you posted

Hey Paul, how's this coming? I'm well underway with my own, just going through all the Entire/Canon wifi setup now. I have an R5C, but so far, it's working, using the Photo menu (fingers crossed the settings carry over to the Video menu. Had a Q- are you powering your RS2 via the CAN cable, or do you have a separate setup? My plan was to use a 50Wh VMount with USB and DTap outs (the R5C likes DTap power, and the SmallRig RS2 adapter plate has a Lemo 2 pin to DTap).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz