Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

UK Reduced Proximities for PFAW

Reaction score
Any UK pilots here got a licence with a reduced minimum distance to fly from people/buildings/vehicles/vessels not under their control? (anything under 50m)
Would be interested to hear how you went about it and what measures you had to put in place to get these.

Any UK pilots here got a licence with a reduced minimum distance to fly from people/buildings/vehicles/vessels not under their control? (anything under 50m)
Would be interested to hear how you went about it and what measures you had to put in place to get these.
Are you talking sub 7kg? (ie Inspires)
If so, I would hold fire until the New Year as you should see restrictions eased for lower MTOM aircraft with sub 7kg (or maybe 5kg) coming down as low as 10m.

P.S - Don't forget it's NOT a licence but a permission. ;)

That's what EURO USC was telling us for <5Kg (Inspires, Phantoms/Iris) but they stopped short of saying that it would be extended without any additional risk assessment measures, etc. @The Editor what do you know that we don't?

That's what EURO USC was telling us for <5Kg (Inspires, Phantoms/Iris) but they stopped short of saying that it would be extended without any additional risk assessment measures, etc. @The Editor what do you know that we don't?
I could tell you........but I'd have to kill you afterwards!

I'm not surprised Euro stopped short of telling all....... they have probably come up with another way they can ask people for money when the new regulations come in :rolleyes:.

Funnily enough it's not being driven by the CAA but rather EASA. It's pretty much a given that it will be adopted into UK airspace and thus the CAA. For sub 7kg (or maybe sub 5kg - they haven't made up their mind yet) pretty much all restrictions should be lifted for PFAW holders but NOT for hobbiest/recreational flyers. These are tabled to remain at their current limits as per 166/7.
At the moment there is no additional qualifications scheduled and this goes for Quads as well as aircraft with more redundancy.

Heavier RPAS are a different matter but in any case even an Inspire fully loaded with a yet to be introduced X5R will have a MTOM of under 5kg :).

Now I'm afraid...... I have to kill you ! :p

Reactions: Asomaro and JasonUK
Good info, the current relevant document is the EASA - A-NPA 2015-10 that includes 3 categories and states:

— from 0 kg < 4 kg: keep safe distance from persons, do not fly above crowds, do not fly over 50 m above ground unless aviation competence is available.

— from 4 kg < 25 kg: keep minimum 50 m distance from persons or vehicles on the ground, do not operate in congested areas, fly below 50m above ground unless the pilot has aviation awareness;

— from 25 kg < 150 kg and any operation exceeding the limitation above: establish a safety assessment process.

Link: http://easa.europa.eu/system/files/dfu/A-NPA 2015-10.pdf

Are you talking sub 7kg? (ie Inspires)
If so, I would hold fire until the New Year as you should see restrictions eased for lower MTOM aircraft with sub 7kg (or maybe 5kg) coming down as low as 10m.

P.S - Don't forget it's NOT a licence but a permission. ;)
Yes I'm rfereing to sub 7kg - sorry, should have stated that
This has been rumored for almost a year now though... Do you know if there's any validity to that?

Yes I'm rfereing to sub 7kg - sorry, should have stated that
This has been rumored for almost a year now though... Do you know if there's any validity to that?
According to the guy from the CAA I was talking to on Saturday - Yes.

However, (And its a big however) as this is driven by EASA we are talking about the Eurocretins in the European parliament who most of the time wont make a decision on what day of the week it is so I'm sure the time frames will slip.

According to the guy from the CAA I was talking to on Saturday - Yes.

However, (And its a big however) as this is driven by EASA we are talking about the Eurocretins in the European parliament who most of the time wont make a decision on what day of the week it is so I'm sure the time frames will slip.
Hmm good to know. I won't be holding my breath though...

The EASA doc is a consultation for a recommendation... all NAA are free to do it or not ... you are right.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz