Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 45mm 1:1.8 or Olympus 14-42mm

Reaction score
Hey peeps, first post on here and i'm wondering if anyone can give me their pennies worth on the two above lens for the X5.

Ive heard the 45mm is a fantastic optic compared to the 14-42 but i'm wondering would it be be better to have the option to zoom rather than the small improvement in quality. I'll most likely be using this for checking damage on masts but would be nice to use it for filming too.

I'm also afraid with the 45mm there will be a lot of shake and not having the option to dial back to a wider view would be a pity for filming.

Sure let me know what you have found that producers the best results, thanks!

I'd hold off on the 45mm until there have been some tests or DJI greatly improves the Inspire flight characteristics to handle the greater weight. I'm returning my 15mm because even at that focal length there is way too much shake and it is extremely difficult to get a smooth yaw.
Ideally the drone would be mapped differently for the X5 than the X3 so that one operator could achieve the same shots as with the X3 on the X5

The question becomes one of budget really. The lens you speak of does many things in an acceptable manner. Now if you were to acquire a 12mm f/2.0 and a 45mm f/1.8 you'd have the amazing quality combined with amazing ability to do what the inexpensive lens will do but not to the level of the other two. The simplest analogy is you can buy an adjustable wrench to remove hardware and it will do the job. Now if you got yourself a socket set with 15 or 20 different sizes you would be able to handle hardware more quickly, precisely, without slipping, and with far greater ease overall.

Budget not a problem, the lens aren't that expensive. I have the 12mm f/2.0 and love it but the possibility of having a zoom would be fantastic. I suppose whatever one balances the best would be the one i'd be after. From reading a few post it looks like the 45mm needs a ND filter and a hood to be just about right!

I'd hold off on the 45mm until there have been some tests or DJI greatly improves the Inspire flight characteristics to handle the greater weight. I'm returning my 15mm because even at that focal length there is way too much shake and it is extremely difficult to get a smooth yaw.
Ideally the drone would be mapped differently for the X5 than the X3 so that one operator could achieve the same shots as with the X3 on the X5

Yes see this is my worry, however i have seen a video of it in action at full focal length and it was quite good. I suppose i would be using this for surveying masts, having the zoom would be great but i don't want it to burn the gimbal out it it isn't suited for the X5!

I'm getting jello effect with my 14-42 at various zoom levels. No rhyme or reason. It's balanced well with a metal lens hood. Same problem without the hood. Any suggestions?

2 thumbs up for the 45mm prime, though. Great stills. Way too much drift for video.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz