Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Olympus 45mm - Massive Jello

Reaction score
I'm getting significant shaking with my 45mm lens, far more than the minor jello some others have shown. I've included a short clip below. I don't really plan to use this lens for film, however its shaking so bad that its difficult to even frame shots through DJIGO.

The thing is, the lens is balanced for the most part, with a step up ring/filter, and the lens isn't visibly moving on the gimbal. What do you think could be the issue? Possibly a loose element inside? It looks so different than the other examples.

Reactions: slim.slamma
Here's a quick clip with the 15mm lens (no editing), same bird, same day - so there's not any vibration issue inherent to the inspire:

Good question, I don't know to be honest. I just took a quick video clip to see if it was recording that way, or an app issue. The shaking was visible in the FPV preview on the app. Was 4K/30FPS in Auto mode.

I'm getting significant shaking with my 45mm lens, far more than the minor jello some others have shown. I've included a short clip below. I don't really plan to use this lens for film, however its shaking so bad that its difficult to even frame shots through DJIGO.

The thing is, the lens is balanced for the most part, with a step up ring/filter, and the lens isn't visibly moving on the gimbal. What do you think could be the issue? Possibly a loose element inside? It looks so different than the other examples.

If it's not a loose element, could it be that the lens was mounted incorrectly: i.e., did you ensure that the lens was fully engaged and locked with the locking ring?

That's definitely a vibration issue coming through the airframe.
The problem is using longer reach lenses greatly exaggerates any vibration already present which is why they are not a good choice for AP.
I would thoroughly check over your airframe paying particular attention to prop balance, all bolts/screws and check the free play in the arm at the T-Joints.

Reactions: Predator
If it's not a loose element, could it be that the lens was mounted incorrectly: i.e., did you ensure that the lens was fully engaged and locked with the locking ring?

Lens was fully engaged, I tried it again on another flight, same result. I'm okay with minor vibrations that would make video unusable, but its very difficult even to use for stills, as it is now.

That's definitely a vibration issue coming through the airframe.
The problem is using longer reach lenses greatly exaggerates any vibration already present which is why they are not a good choice for AP.
I would thoroughly check over your airframe paying particular attention to prop balance, all bolts/screws and check the free play in the arm at the T-Joints.

I would expect vibration of that magnitude to at least show through a bit with the wider lens. If I have some time, I'll have to try it with the 14-42 lens and see if it creeps up as the lens is extended.

Its normal mine does the same! Like i said in another post the 45mm is useless for video as soon you start panning or moving its a jello party. For pics (with high shutter speeds) its A1 and great for inspections. If you really wanna use your video shoot at 120fps 1/60 and slow it down in post it should be acceptable but you cant really do much cuz like The editor said the focal lenght acts like a zoom on the MFT so every movement is amplified.

Reactions: zoltanh
Hmm re balance it? Try new props? I've not had any of the jello. Its difficult to pan with it but not impossible. As you can see here I loose the paraglider for a while.

I use a step up filter & variable ND filter. Slightly under balanced.

Mine is quite smooth now with the 45mm, well as smooth as it can be given the focal length. I can do slow moves in all directions and I don't get any jello on the lens, just the jerkiness of quick yaw movements and the dreaded gimbal float. I have a promaster plastic step up ring and Hoya ND filter combo on it.

Which is why I believe the OP has a vibration issue causing the problem.
We have two confirmation now of no jello with this lens so I go back to my previous comments to check the airframe and props over.

Reactions: gruvpix
Which is why I believe the OP has a vibration issue causing the problem.
We have two confirmation now of no jello with this lens so I go back to my previous comments to check the airframe and props over.

Everything seems solid. I have no way to check the balance on the QR props, but they are brand new with only a few flights on them. Also, you would expect to see 'some' vibration in a wider lens.

Some more anecdotal evidence.

14-42mm lens, zooming from 14-42. If it were an airframe issue, I would expect that the wobbling would be introduced as the focal length was increased, however it wasn't.

Walkaround video of Inspire hovering - everything looks solid to me.

I think I'm leaning back toward it being a lens issue.

Go figure, went to test it again and it was pretty solid, about the type of minor vibration I would expect at this focal length, especially when moving it around aggressively.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz