Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Olympus 45mm - Massive Jello

I'm getting significant shaking with my 45mm lens, far more than the minor jello some others have shown. I've included a short clip below. I don't really plan to use this lens for film, however its shaking so bad that its difficult to even frame shots through DJIGO.

The thing is, the lens is balanced for the most part, with a step up ring/filter, and the lens isn't visibly moving on the gimbal. What do you think could be the issue? Possibly a loose element inside? It looks so different than the other examples.
Hey man, sorry you're having such bad results with this lens. Just so you know, I have had terrific results. Here is some video that I shot with it, unstabilized and Ungraded. I did have the lens perfectly balanced though, and my shutter speed was at 1/50th. ND8. F11.

Reactions: AcesAreWld
Hey man, sorry you're having such bad results with this lens. Just so you know, I have had terrific results. Here is some video that I shot with it, unstabilized and Ungraded. I did have the lens perfectly balanced though, and my shutter speed was at 1/50th. ND8. F11.

What firmware are you running on your Inspire? I had great results with the 45mm lens on firmware 1.4, but a lot of jello and vibration problems (in GPS mode on somewhat windy days) with the current 1.6 aircraft firmware.

What firmware are you running on your Inspire? I had great results with the 45mm lens on firmware 1.4, but a lot of jello and vibration problems (in GPS mode on somewhat windy days) with the current 1.6 aircraft firmware.
That video was done with 1.6… But I have since I upgraded to the latest. With the same results.

Reactions: AcesAreWld
That video was done with 1.6… But I have since I upgraded to the latest. With the same results.

Thanks for the info -- good to know! Inspire 1 PRO (higher KV motors) or non-pro with original motors?

What was the wind situation?

Single operator or dual?

Thanks!

We have used some velcro and washers/coins with great success to help balance the gimbal. The horizontal needs balancing as well as the vertical with the 45mm

Reactions: TheDJIFanboy
The 45mm is really marginal on the X5. With little wind and dual operator, you can get results but you still likely have post work to clean it up. In turbulent wind, the floppy gimbal suspension reveals itself. It's like it's about to go into full blown jello but doesn't. It's not immediately evident but it's there.

The 25mm in the wind does the same but takes more wind to make it as detectable. Hanging by four floppy rubber balls is a low tech solution and you can see it in the wind. The gimbal dances like a yo-yo, 90% of the is cleaned up by the gimbal itself. The rest is noticeable once you know what to look for.

DJI should really should switch to a compression setup.

The 45mm is really marginal on the X5. With little wind and dual operator, you can get results but you still likely have post work to clean it up. In turbulent wind, the floppy gimbal suspension reveals itself. It's like it's about to go into full blown jello but doesn't. It's not immediately evident but it's there.

The 25mm in the wind does the same but takes more wind to make it as detectable. Hanging by four floppy rubber balls is a low tech solution and you can see it in the wind. The gimbal dances like a yo-yo, 90% of the is cleaned up by the gimbal itself. The rest is noticeable once you know what to look for.

DJI should really should switch to a compression setup.

In case you hadn't noticed, unlike the original X3 plate, the X5/X5R suspension plate is a compression set-up. ;)

The only time I have any noticeable jello on my 45mm is when moving sideways at a higher rate of speed (profile turbulence?). When moving forward or backward, not so much. That's with a B&W 0.9ND filter mounted and no other balancing added.

Last edited:
I love my 45mm lens. I use round Velcro stickies and various currency coins for added precise balance on all axis. I fit it with a full compliment of filter/s and 'stuff'.

I've found 1080 / 60fps to suit my needs well .

Steady framing of very close objects can be a technical challenge for obvious reasons but overall , using the Velcro / coin / washer route keeps all my lenses tight n steady as a rock!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I created a balance ring to help remove all shaking. The end of this video is where we used this lens. Try using a filter with a hood maybe to help balance the lens.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz