Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Is my X5 dead? Gimbal Disconnected - No Image Transmission Signal

Reaction score
Website
www.ukdronepilot.co.uk
Hi I'm having trouble with our X5 on our Inspire 1. This machine has had approximately 60hrs flight time.

See video;

Im getting gimbal disconnected, no image transmission signal. The cameras lights do come on and you can see the aperture opening and closing when exposed to light but no movement from the gimbal or data being transferred.

Latest firmware
Approx 3 years old.
Doesn't work on any of our batteries or lenses. 12,25,45

I'm open to all ideas to try, thanks in advance!

Hi I'm having trouble with our X5 on our Inspire 1. This machine has had approximately 60hrs flight time.

See video;

Im getting gimbal disconnected, no image transmission signal. The cameras lights do come on and you can see the aperture opening and closing when exposed to light but no movement from the gimbal or data being transferred.

Latest firmware
Approx 3 years old.
Doesn't work on any of our batteries or lenses. 12,25,45

I'm open to all ideas to try, thanks in advance!
A buddy of mine had the same issue, so I installed my X5 camera on HIS Inspire, and MY X5 worked. So I installed HIS X5 on MY Inspire, and HIS X5 did NOT work. This allowed us to put blame squarely on the X5 camera/gimbal and not the gimbal controller.

So I would suggest seeking out another operator with an Inspire 1 and X5 so you can trade parts. Without spare parts, troubleshooting is going to be impossible.

D

Thanks for everyones replies. See video above of what happens when I try the firmware update on the OSMO.

Also, I have an X3 as backup and the X3 works perfectly on both the inspire and OSMO. Meaning it has to be a fault with this X5.

Thanks for your help so far.

Thanks for everyones replies. See video above of what happens when I try the firmware update on the OSMO.

Also, I have an X3 as backup and the X3 works perfectly on both the inspire and OSMO. Meaning it has to be a fault with this X5.

Thanks for your help so far.

I really like the way you're documenting this. It's so frustrating when pilots chime in with ambiguous questions with zero data. Video really is a great way of conveying one's issues. I use it constantly. That said...

Macro photos of the X5's pins would be my next step. Those things are so small that you may miss issues without extreme magnification.

D

I really like the way you're documenting this. It's so frustrating when pilots chime in with ambiguous questions with zero data. Video really is a great way of conveying one's issues. I use it constantly. That said...

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me.

I agree video is very useful for problem solving, thanks for your help so far.

Macro photos of the X5's pins would be my next step. Those things are so small that you may miss issues without extreme magnification.

As requested I've attached 3 images - All closeups of the pins including the Inspire, x5 camera and OSMO.

I've read and had a second opinion that the "ribbon cable" maybe at fault on this? Would be interested to hear your opinions on that.

Attachments

• Inspirepins.jpg
    Inspirepins.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
  • X5pins.jpg
    X5pins.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • OSMOpins.jpg
    OSMOpins.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 27
As requested I've attached 3 images - All closeups of the pins including the Inspire, x5 camera and OSMO.

All the pins look good to me. I'm sure everyone will agree.

I've read and had a second opinion that the "ribbon cable" maybe at fault on this? Would be interested to hear your opinions on that.

I've not attempted repair on any X5, so I can't really comment on that. The X5 I helped troubleshoot belonged to a military contractor (back before the military ban of DJI drones), so I had them send it in for repair. The thing was that the X5 came back with parts (controller, I assume) that would NOT work with legacy AC FW versions. It was a mess because they were using legacy FW per my recommendation. The point became moot when the DJI ban came down the pike a couple days later.

D

If you have multimeter , you can check flat cable inside of the gimbal... I thought it could be a gimbal connection board on inspire problem, but since the same behavior is present on osmo I would rule out that option.
You will have to remove bottom cover of x5 (5 screws) and check both ends of flat cable with multimeter, very easy to do.

Yeah, I would agree it is the ribbon cable. Your video looks exactly like the problem I had before. I had accidentally stretched the ribbon cable on the foam in the X5 case while putting it in. There was a visible stretch mark on the cable. Sent it to dji to repair and cut some of the case foam out so it wouldn’t happen again.

Checking if you managed to resolve this? I have the same problem, light comes on but the gimbal just sist there. Would love to hear so I know where not to waste my time :)

Reactions: Anthony69
My X5 just started doing this too. No problems with it since I bought it new in 2016. It worked fine 4 days ago but upon startup it now just sits there and no video signal. Any help diagnosing the problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Regarding the possible faulty ribbon cable. There are 2 of them connected to the camera. Anyone knows which of the cables could be causing the problem discussed here?

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me.

I agree video is very useful for problem solving, thanks for your help so far.

Hi James I had a problem like yours on my X5 , in like new condition , very little use , ended up sending it back to DJI . The X5 they returned to me definitely was not mine nor was the case .Very disappointing ! So if you go that route be prepared to get replacement returned and not the one you sent them . There used to be a shop in LA area that can do this kind of work. Do your homework
Good luck
Chuck

I’m waiting on mine from a repair shop in the US who says they can replace the ribbon cable. I haven’t received mine back yet so I can’t give any feedback on the outcome. Just saying I didn’t send mine to DJI.

I’m waiting on mine from a repair shop in the US who says they can replace the ribbon cable. I haven’t received mine back yet so I can’t give any feedback on the outcome. Just saying I didn’t send mine to DJI.

I have a feeling third-party repair is going to be the best way to go. The DJI repair lemmings will lie to you six ways from Sunday and will ignore your requests or cite "company policy." Maddening. Better to send off to reputable "mom and pop" repair shops that still care about the customer.

D

Reactions: Anthony69

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbair