Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Gimbal noise with Olympus 45mm

SRH

Reaction score
Website
www.seanrheavey.com
So I decided to try the Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm f1.8 on my X5... Latest firmware all around. Put it on and the gimbal makes the screeching noise others have posted about in various threads. When I put my DJI 15mm that came with the X5 back on no noise. Did I miss something? Does it need a balancing weight or is my X5 defective somehow?

So I decided to try the Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm f1.8 on my X5... Latest firmware all around. Put it on and the gimbal makes the screeching noise others have posted about in various threads. When I put my DJI 15mm that came with the X5 back on no noise. Did I miss something? Does it need a balancing weight or is my X5 defective somehow?
I have used a Hoya 37mm UV filter and 3rd party plastic lens hood to balance mine both brought from Amazon.co.uk. The gimbal is neutrally balanced and noiseless.

I have used a Hoya 37mm UV filter and 3rd party plastic lens hood to balance mine both brought from Amazon.co.uk. The gimbal is neutrally balanced and noiseless.

Is balancing my issue then? The Dji site list that balancing weights are required for other lenses but not the 45mm. Does yours make noise without the hood and UV filter?

But how would you recommend to balance a lens ? thanks
I just weighed my original DJI lens on a postal scale to see what my target was... Then I added washers to the scale with the new lens till I was able to match the weight. I mounted them with a rubber band to the lens as a test to see if it would work. Worked great... Just remember to remove the lens cap and body cap so your getting the correct weight.

As a more permanent solution I ordered a 37-52mm step up ring and added a 52mm UV filter I had laying around and the combination matched the weight of my washer test. Problem solved... The nice thing is I can change out the UV filter with an ND or Polarizer if I need.

Ok, your sun-hood is not the original one, right ? It is a screwed 52mm sun hood you add in front ?
If by any chance you can weigh the lens hood step ring and filter separately. I would be very interested. Sorry to bother you. but as I have to buy filter and etc, I don't want to buy 10 filters before finding the right one. Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz