Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Focusing the X5

Reaction score
1#
Well after many try's i finally got the focus right on the X5... with help from DJI Tahoe Ed Windham.... its all in calibrating the lens properly... i had spent many hours trying to get it to focus... calibrated the lens many times in video mode.... it was sharp in 1920x1080 and everything under.. but not sharp in 4K ???..
So if you are haviing trouble with focus try this.... select photo mode... bring up lens calibration... select focus point .. (must be HIGH CONTRAST at least 50met away)... set focus to infinity... use focus assistant ... if you dont get the result you want the first time keep doing it until you do... hope this helps...

When you calibrate...is the craft in the air or is it on the ground pointing at something 50 meters away? Then you say set focus to infinity...I'm assuming you are in MF to do this ?...when you say use focus assistant, I'm assuming you are talking about selecting the screen in the area that is high contrast 50 meters away? Then do you hit OK to the lens calibration prompt? Once this is done, do you get any message that indicates calibration is successful?

I'm kind of stumbling through this process, but I think my stuff looks OK...who knows? Thanks for your help...here is what I've shot...testing....

can someone please do a video on how to do this?
ive tried but no good results not sure if the subject is high contrast enough. now i know why 1080p looks good and 4k looks bad its because as you say bad lens calibration.

When you calibrate...is the craft in the air or is it on the ground pointing at something 50 meters away? Then you say set focus to infinity...I'm assuming you are in MF to do this ?...when you say use focus assistant, I'm assuming you are talking about selecting the screen in the area that is high contrast 50 meters away? Then do you hit OK to the lens calibration prompt? Once this is done, do you get any message that indicates calibration is successful?

I'm kind of stumbling through this process, but I think my stuff looks OK...who knows? Thanks for your help...here is what I've shot...testing....

Sorry for the dlay Figbar... i calibrated on the ground... i focused on a high contrast subject over 50met away..yep i set focus to infinity in manual mode first... but when you calibrate it goes into A mode...the focus assistant only works in photo mode... yes.. touch the screen on the subject you are focusing on (focus assistant).. when you are happy with the focus hit ok... i got no message saying it was successful ...i had good focus in 4k and all video setting... however .. you are going to love this.. when i switched to photo mode... BAM.... the focus went out again.... still scratching my head.... my personal view is the X5 has some sharpness & focus issue's... seems like its needs sharpening in 4k... and... its over sharpened in 1080....

Last edited:
Reactions: Figbar
Hey Steven

I also have the same problem. FullHD is sharp and 4K not.
Do i have to recalibrate the Lens ? I didi it allready 4 Times, but its not better.

You wrote "set focus to infinity" but thats only working if i select MF not ?

cheers
sascha

Hi nadsas.... i had the focus set to infinity and in photo mode when i calibrate the lens... i just kept calibrating until it came good... i now have sharp focus in 4k and photo mode... do it in auto focus mode...

and the 4k videos are out ouf the cam now also sharper ?
how did you see that the focuscalibration was not as you want ? Did you use an external Monitor ?

It was hard to see on the monitor... so after calibrating i would take photo's and video... then play them back on a 4k TV at home... if it did not look sharp... i would find a different subject to calibrate on and do it again... some guys calibrate easy... i found it a hassle .... good luck...

Reactions: S2king
i think the big problem is to find a good object for the calibration. whats to prefer, a building, a wood, does the contrast line has to go throw the focus window ....

i will take my 24" TFT with me, and use the HDMI-Mini Out of my RC. Hopefully i could on this way do a recalibration on field.

if you tried at home on the laptop, foto and video was together not sharp or only one of both ?

Reactions: ToledoJDF
when i tried calibrating in photo mode as soon as i hit calibrate the bar slides by itself to video mode.. weird. but i think it calibrated now looking good

Sorry for the dlay Figbar... i calibrated on the ground... i focused on a high contrast subject over 50met away..yep i set focus to infinity in manual mode first... but when you calibrate it goes into A mode...the focus assistant only works in photo mode... yes.. touch the screen on the subject you are focusing on (focus assistant).. when you are happy with the focus hit ok... i got no message saying it was successful ...i had good focus in 4k and all video setting... however .. you are going to love this.. when i switched to photo mode... BAM.... the focus went out again.... still scratching my head.... my personal view is the X5 has some sharpness & focus issue's... seems like its needs sharpening in 4k... and... its over sharpened in 1080....

Thanks for the info...much appreciated

Are people calibrating lens on the ground or in the air? Would be good to know this. Thanks.

Are people calibrating lens on the ground or in the air? Would be good to know this. Thanks.
I calibrated on the ground... but you can calibrate in the air...
buy the way...after many attempts i now have a sharp image in all settings..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz