Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

USA FAA Part 107

Reaction score
Well it seems like the new Part 107 will permit just about anyone to fly for $$. Instead of the required pilots license it seems you just need to pass a written exam. I can't help but feel that this will have a negative effect on the business end for those of us that are flying under 333. I for one, will be holding off on any new equipment purchases until the effects of this have been seen. My view is it will be much like the digital camera evolution where you suddenly had loads of unqualified, incompetent people selling the services as "Pro" photographers. There were and still are, a multitude of stories out there about these "pros" doing horrendous work at life events such as weddings and leaving the customer high & dry.

Kevin in CT

Reactions: kcobello
I agree to a point. There should be a paper trail that we all have had to follow to get to be commercial operators. I think there should be levels of certifications that you must qualify for to be able to do certain work, just like anyone who inspects for a living has to have. I do think there should be a lower level of expectation other than a pilots license to qualify to fly a rig that is under 10lbs, within LOS, doesn't contain passengers and flies below 400'. A flight exam and standard flight test like a car permit test might be an idea. We are professional qualified photographers, and I have been in RC for over 30 years. Am I perfect..NO. Do I believe in being safe? Yes. Do I think everyone and their mother should be able to fly a rig around, near people, cars and buildings without being qualified...ABSOLUTELY NOT..:)

Reactions: SixtyMike
There is no matter of opinion here really, the new part 107 is bad news for those of us who were pilots with section 333 exemptions. Those of us who were operating legally and willing to report our illegal competition were experiencing enormous opportunity during the rise of this technology. Part 107 is going to level the playing field and 'open the flood gates' as it was so accurately put by a UAS attorney today.

Apart from business, I truly believe that this provides an unsafe level of regulation regarding drone operations. The reports of unsafe drone operations have only increased with time, not decreased, and these new laws are not reflective of that. It is obvious to me that they were more concerned with creating job opportunities rather than insuring safe flight operations.

That all being said, we all knew this was coming eventually, and if you were ahead of the curve with the section 333 and your business over the last few years it means you have gotten that much of a head start. I for one have a great reputation in my area and any new flyers operating in the area will have a hard time competing, especially since I also bought all the domains pertaining to 'drones' and 'aerial' relevant to keywords in my area.

Regardless of that, there is something else that will remain the same that is extremely important:

Even though the process has become 100x easier to become a legal operator, this industry seems to attract the type of 'entrepreneur' that would rather stick it to the man than go through proper means. Lots of these cheap operators will remain illegal, and if that is the case I would recommend reporting them to the FAA before they get dangerous. (you can interpret that anyway you like)

The FAA is surprisingly great on tips regarding illegal drone operators. I for one have the local FAA office on speed dial and have seen many a facebook page become suddenly inactive.

The new rules open up my ability to earn money (security clearance kept me honest). Sorry but the 333 was ridiculous (granted it was necessary to follow a logical path in opening the drone business). Yes am trolling but since I will be certified in August figured I would see how you folks with the 333 would complain (sure enough). I was so close this summer to going for my pilots license but my feeling towards the ridiculousness hindered me doing so. Now the FAA at least forces folks to learn drone safety and operation. I have been flying for 3 years and as far as safety lets just say that my day job requires severe safety requirements which carries over to my Inspire 1 Pro.
I have felt that there was an unfair advantage given to you all. I may be a minority but over the last 2 years I have kept up with technologically and have some pretty good equipment and know how to use it and as such have garnered a pretty good knowledge baseline. You may want to worry more about the new group soon to hit the market, as in my case I have weathered the expenses of start up and have secondary income. Believe me I will low ball companies in place to garner clients!
Statements like now anybody will make money and ignore the 107 are plain goofy. That type of person is already out there causing havoc. As far a unsafe flying that has nothing to do with folks earning money, its more on a need for people that go to Best Buy, get a drone and do extremely stupid flying (and there are tons of them and I am sure the attempt to video a friends wedding for a small fee with disastrous results). My 2 cents. Question? What happen in August to this forum spot for "pilots"? Will us 107 folks be welcomed (hope so) P.S. I do have the utmost respect for 333 guys.

I'm considering doing the 107. Haven't decided if it will be beneficial to me or not. I do not make money with my drone. I've been asked several times to take pictures for money and have refused.

As for the unsafe operators comment. I don't think that the unsafe operators will become safe simply because the rule changed. I think the people breaking the law in the past will continue to break the law. I feel like the 107 might stop further people from breaking the law and create some competition. But, not a ton of it.

Well it seems like the new Part 107 will permit just about anyone to fly for $$. Instead of the required pilots license it seems you just need to pass a written exam. I can't help but feel that this will have a negative effect on the business end for those of us that are flying under 333. I for one, will be holding off on any new equipment purchases until the effects of this have been seen. My view is it will be much like the digital camera evolution where you suddenly had loads of unqualified, incompetent people selling the services as "Pro" photographers. There were and still are, a multitude of stories out there about these "pros" doing horrendous work at life events such as weddings and leaving the customer high & dry.

Kevin in CT
I agree to disagree.
Z

Remember that there is Art and Science to any business.

This is especially true for Aerial Photography businesses. Many people think that they can just get an aircraft shoot some photos and the money will flow. We sell tons of equipment and do train and encourage new pilots but building a business is something totally different. In this new business environment not only do you have to be an excellent pilot but you need to be able to plan the shot, see the shot and get the shot and then put it all together in a package that makes the client happy.

IMO if you are a Part 61 Pilot with a 107 you have an added advantage in marketing your company right out of the gate due to your past flying experience . If you have this and are good at photography and editing you can really show your stuff and set yourself apart from the other start ups.

Good Winds

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LangeJens