Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

DJI X5 Lens Test Olympus 14-42mm

Reaction score
Yesterday was cold and foggy, but i wanted to test the Olypus 14-42mm with the Inspire Pro and X5.
Works quite well, zooming while filming does not.

All Firmware latest. 4K 25fps iso 200 f5.6 100sec shutter

Reactions: Mete and AcesAreWld
I tried my Olympus 14-42mm the other day and I too found the zoom unusable while filming. You need to set the zoom for the shot you want and then leave it alone. What I did find was that this lens suffers from a distinct pin cushion distortion at the 42mm end. I also need to wait for a 37mm lens hood I've ordered to properly balance the lens/gimbal.

I bought two versions of the Olympus 14-42 zoom, and can't get either to work. One is stubby and too fat to fit on the gimbal properly, and I can't get it to focus properly when it's attached. The other (IIR) is very hard to twist-mount and feels like it will break the gimbal. Am I missing some thing?

I bought two versions of the Olympus 14-42 zoom, and can't get either to work. One is stubby and too fat to fit on the gimbal properly, and I can't get it to focus properly when it's attached. The other (IIR) is very hard to twist-mount and feels like it will break the gimbal. Am I missing some thing?
The Olympus 12-42 that is compatible is the short, almost pancake, lens that extends in 2 sections. It is a little too big to easily attach and must be pushed against the mount to lock correctly. You need to ensure that auto focus is selected on the lens and in the App. You also need to calibration the lens by focus Ing on a subject at least 50m away. To fly with it you also need a 37mm UVA filter and lens hood to balance it.

Guys - Even though it's a little slow, this lens is a game changer, agree with all of the above in that you cannot use the zoom while tracking (yet).
We found the perfect balancing solution, a washer that fits perfectly and completely balances the lens. Tried a bunch of different ones and this is the one that fits. Will try and get the specifics. IMG_2705.JPG

hi,

i got this 14-42 EZ pancake version.i have not testet because i want not to destroy the gimbal.
i have no extra balancing ring etc.
the lens goes out when it is powering the inspire?

greetz

Reactions: MrTVR
i use this olympus m-zuiko digital ed 14-42 ez an it fits perfect on my x 5 gimbal.
but i waiting to turn the power on on the inspire 1 because i think i must use balancing ring ect.

Which filter do you use to put down the shuttter around 1/50?
What do you mean with "i must use balancing ring ect."
it means that your gimbal is not balancing well?
Do we need to install a sunshield?

i have not see how the belancing is for the olympus 14-42 :)
i have it at home and i have not turn the power on my inspire because i dont want not to broke the gimbal.
on dji website is this ----

DJI MFT 15mm f/1.7 ASPH
Panasonic Lumix 15mm f/1.7
Olympus M. ED 12mm f/2.0
Olympus M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8 *
Olympus M.Zuiko ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ *
Olympus M.Zuiko 25mm f1.8
Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm f1.8
*Requires a balancing weight

Reactions: Mete
The Olympus 12-42 that is compatible is the short, almost pancake, lens that extends in 2 sections. It is a little too big to easily attach and must be pushed against the mount to lock correctly. You need to ensure that auto focus is selected on the lens and in the App. You also need to calibration the lens by focus Ing on a subject at least 50m away. To fly with it you also need a 37mm UVA filter and lens hood to balance it.

I'm interested in using this lens (for stills only). I'm wondering which specific filter and hood has worked for you? There are many to choose from -- would you mind posting some links to the actual product?

Thanks in advance.

I'm interested in using this lens (for stills only). I'm wondering which specific filter and hood has worked for you? There are many to choose from -- would you mind posting some links to the actual product?

Thanks in advance.
I have a 37mm Hoya UV filter and 37mm metal lens hood from amazon.co.uk. However, this is not quite enough and I need to find something extra about the mass of another filter (which cannot be used at 12mm end of lens).

Reactions: pixl45
I have a 37mm Hoya UV filter and 37mm metal lens hood from amazon.co.uk. However, this is not quite enough and I need to find something extra about the mass of another filter (which cannot be used at 12mm end of lens).

I have been thinking if the DJI lens is 115g and the Olympus M. Zuiko 14-42 mm EZ is 71g per their respective spec.
Is it a matter of finding another 40ish gram with the Olympus lens, so that the balance can be achieved?
If so, there is a wide converter for Zuiko weighted 85g.
Then the weight of the "pancake" lens and its converter may probably equal to the DJI lens plus the hood and the balancing ring.
Could anybody please check my idea?
Thanks

I have been thinking if the DJI lens is 115g and the Olympus M. Zuiko 14-42 mm EZ is 71g per their respective spec.
Is it a matter of finding another 40ish gram with the Olympus lens, so that the balance can be achieved?
If so, there is a wide converter for Zuiko weighted 85g.
Then the weight of the "pancake" lens and its converter may probably equal to the DJI lens plus the hood and the balancing ring.
Could anybody please check my idea?
Thanks
One problem with balancing the 14-42mm is that it 'grows' or extends by around 30mm when in use. A compromise in the weight of the filter/lens hood will be required between when it is fully extended at 42mm and semi-retracted at 14mm. With my very limited daylight hours and low sun I have using the standard 15mm f1.8 lens when flying.

I'm having a perplexing problem with the 14-42. I still haven't quite sorted out the balance issue, but did start it up for the first time, and the lens barrel extended to the default 'on' position. The design of this lens is such that it is supposed to fully retract to the pancake size when turned 'off'. But when shutting the bird down it just stays fully extended.

I'm guessing that when these lenses are used on regular camera bodies the camera enacts a shutdown procedure in order to retract the lens? Does this sound right? It's not a big deal to me that it remains extended when it's shut down, but it would be more compact for storage.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctfulgham